Which N Router with all these features to go for?

m-jeri said:
But it does looks confusing.. i tried reading up few stuff.. installing basic firmware and the optware and all....

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And can anyone else say the diff between tomato and DDWRT?

and the optware packages for it?

Using rtn16 and usb 3g modem with the help of ddwrt. Stock firmware/tomato/openwrt doesn't support 3g as of now.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

stormblast said:
any reason you are opting for the asus nt16 compared to the wndr3700 as both are in the same pricerange. just curious
I think wndr3700 is priced more than asus nt16. wndr3700 is a dual band n router which is good as well. DD wrt supported i think so. Compare below specs with asus rt n16 u will get the answer.

Specs of wndr3700

CPU: AR7161 680 MHz (Atheros Chipset)

RAM: 64 MB

Flash: 8 MB

I dont know the current price of both routers. Can u post it??

@storm..

main reason was.. i didnt find it listed anywhere... i only looked from my local dealers and ebay though.

and also 2 USB ports.. :) ... one for usb data card and one for a ext HDD

does netgear support a usb hub or something?

@praks..

speeds?.. and did u happen to use a usb hub with it?.. and.. what file system are using in the HDD?..

m-jeri: I am also in the same dilemma. Based on my search I have consolidated some routers which will support dd-wrt.

Asus RT-N16 (2 usb ports)

Belkin Play max K7SF7D4301V1 (2 usb ports, dual band)

Belikin Share max

Netgear WNDR 3700

Linksys WRT160NL (1 usb port Can operate with usb hub, linux based router, can support FAT, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3 file systems)

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

We need to compare and get the best one :)

eBay India: ASUS RT-N16 Gigabit Wireless N Router Print Server 3Yr (item 130437560720 end time 08-Oct-2010 00:30:00 IST)

eBay India: LINKSYS WirelessN WRT160NL BroadBand Router StoeageLink (item 170547060636 end time 05-Oct-2010 13:31:35 IST)

eBay India: Belkin F7D4301zb Play Max Wireless Router - 3 YR (item 310256039817 end time 08-Oct-2010 02:30:00 IST)

http://cgi.ebay.in/Buffalo-Wireless...tDomain_203&hash=item230a94eaf6#ht_5440wt_911

Then Linksys seems better.

If DDWRT support is there then torrent support could also be there.

and possibly 3g USB data card also.

I got the RT-N16 2 months back and have been using it for downloading torrents thru rTorrent and have a Download FTP server along with Printer Share and a miniDLNA Server for my Samsung Galaxy S.

Btw DD-WRT is shit. get the tomato ND USB edition MISR -2 . As far as optware packages are concerned, i have a better option for you. Once you get the Router ping me or drop a PM. About Support of 3G hardware, currently its not there but some Russian guy has already made it possible. We are waiting for Teddy Bear to port it to Tomato ND USB edition.

If you still have questions ping me.

okay.. thnx...

did u use a usb hub?.. or just the ports in it?

and whats the max torrents supported?. 6?

1. I am leaned towards Belikin Play max if Dual band is necessary Compared with Asus RT-N16 which has single band.
If the price of netgear WNDR3700 is in the same range it has all the necessary geeks and horse power except 1 usb port.

2. If you dont mind of getting a 100Mbps lan instead of 1 Gbps and single band then Linksys WRT160NL is the best choice. More over it has Atheros chipset similar to WNDR3700 but less horse power. Another main point in considering this router is It can support powered USB hub such as eBay India: Belkin Powered USB 2.0 Plus Hub 4 Port Part #F5U304-WHT (item 380274943494 end time 07-Oct-2010 13:40:52 IST)
which makes it truly versatile.

Credit from wrt160nl.org : make it capable :) FAQ's

106. Can I use a USB hub for the WRT160NL?
**** Yes, we tried this in order to use a shared printer, work with a connected HDD and run torrents, and also connect via 3G at the same time.

107. How to use printer sharing, 3G and torrent at the same time on WRT160NL?
**** We tried it with a powered USB hub and worked pretty good. We were quite satisfied with Trust HU-5440 (Trust.com - 4 Port USB2 Powered Hub HU-5440) You just need to connect all the units to the hub. In some cases it might be better if you tart the router only once everything is connected.

However I find this to be little expensive Rs 5700 ebay price which is just 1K less than Belkin play max which has dual band and 2 USB port.

Nice comparison of top 10 premium routers
Premium Wireless Routers Review 2010 | Wireless Routers Review 2010 | Best Wireless Routers | Easy Home Networking | Wireless Networks - TopTenREVIEWS - TopTenREVIEWS

So which one is the best of all???..

the belkin ones are not so good option according to few reviews..

ultra vires said:
As far as optware packages are concerned, i have a better option for you. Once you get the Router ping me or drop a PM. About Support of 3G hardware, currently its not there but some Russian guy has already made it possible. We are waiting for Teddy Bear to port it to Tomato ND USB edition.

If you still have questions ping me.
Hi,

I got the rt-n16 and have installed Tomato. Works very well indeed. I need you help with the installation of optware package. What do you recommend.

Thanks for your help.

Courtesy @UltraVires

ultra vires said:
Netgear WNDR 3700 hasn't started shipping out yet so i dunno if its gonna support third-party firmwares or not but with the default set of functions ( i don't see how you can download Torrents unless you hack your WD MyBook to download torrents ( it has to be WE ). On the plus side its dual band whereas the ASUS RT-N16 is not. It doesn't make any difference to me but you should check out if you need dual band.

(Dual-band a/b/g/n routers support both bands for 11n. They enable 11a and 11n users to transmit at 5 GHz and 11b/g and 11n users to transmit at 2.4 GHz; however, both bands may run simultaneously or only one band at a time. Simultaneous support provides load balancing and offers the most compatibility with all four standards (a, b, g and n). With simultaneous bands, data transfers could be configured, for example, on the 2.4 GHz network (SSID #1), while users who do video streaming could be configured on the 5 GHz network (SSID #2).)

As for the rest of the things Torrent, SAMBA NAS, miniDLNA Server, Auto Downloader, QOS ( highly customizable), ASUS RT-N16 is just a breeze to use. You have custom scripts that do mounting, unmounting , installing packages etc for you :).

To sum it up ( i don't know if third-party firmware is there for NEtgear offering or not)

If you buy ASUS

Pros

-Your very own linux setup on your HDD to fiddle around with.

-Media Server miniDLNA.

-rTorrent with web interface of ruTorrent.

-Web Server / FTP Server

-Open VPN

-2 USB ports.

-32Mb ROm and 128 Mb Ram ( compared to 8 and 64 )

-Highly customizable.

-Future Support for 3g ( if you know russian, you can do it now :p )

Cons

-No dual band :(

-Speeds don't match to that of Netgear ( almost a 5-10% diff. ) i.e 9-10 Mbps on ASUS whereas from tests i can see Netgear is hitting 12.

BTW both these routers will generate a lot of heat :).

netgear wndr3700 supports dd-wrt, although i am currently using the latest version of the netgear software which is enough for me.

the router has been running for me over a month without any shutdown and hasnt got hot.

Back