Which n router with Gigabit ports

superczar

Skilled
Have had enough of poor transfer speeds with my WRT54G 100mbit LAN

Think it's time to switch to a Gigabit network

Here are my needs:

- 5 Gigabit LAN ports (actually most have 4 + 1 WAN port...but I use my router as a wired + wireless switch, and the WRT54G allows me to assign the WAN port as a LAN port too)

- n support for my Macbook

- If non n clients connect to the router, it shouldn't drop the n network to g speeds

Umm, that's all

So what router to get, and how much can I expect to shell out for it

PS: I''ll have a spare WRT54G and another ADSL modem + router once I get the new router..What would be a good price to put them up on in the market section?

Linksys WRT600N or WRT610N. The 610 is a revised version of the 600. Not exactly sure about the pricing, but I guess it should be around 8k, give or take some.

What version is the WRT54G?

Yeah! :D

How old is it? You could probably sell it for anywhere between 1.5k to 2k depending on how old it is. Again, maybe a little up and down.

any idea abt the ADSL modem + g router

It's a old ADSL+ modem + wireless g router with 4 LAN ports that I used to use with Comcast

Isn't Comcast a cable ISP?? It's probably a cable modem + router. Unless they've also started a DSL service. You got a model number for that?

sorry, I meant Verizon

Had switched to Comcast later..

It's a ADSL router with 1 RJ45 port , 4 LAN ports and b/g radio

Also configurable as a vanilla router with RJ45 disabled, and 1 WAN + 3 LAN ports

or a plain wireless switch with 4 LAN ports

Ok. Is it a Westell?? Or 2Wire?? You might get around 1.5k for it. I'm guessing no warranty and relatively low on features when compared to a WRT54G?

westell iirc

no warranty of course :p

though the featureset is surprisingly high..Actually it's a surprisingly robust router and performs better than the linksys and I'd have been using that as my primary switch but for the fact that it has only 4 LAN ports (and i need 5)

Back