Which Netbook for around 22K? (Dell Mini / Samsung N210 / Sony / Asus 1201T)

Mohit

Skilled
I am looking for a Netbook within 20-22K or so.

Usage:

1. Surfing

2. MS Office work

3. Downloading stuff :p

Requirements:

1. Comfortable screen size

2. Good battery life

3. Good keyboard

4. Good build quality

5. Good warranty and suport

PS: Original OS is NOT really required as I will mostly be using Windows XP Home or something on it as I doubt they will be able to cope up with Windows 7.

Confused between many models such as the Dell Mini, Samsung N210, Asus 1201T, few models from Sony, etc. Please advise accordingly.

All help is welcome. Thanks :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@Mods

Please move this to the Laptop Buying Advice forum. Sorry for the wrong section :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Bump .........Anybody?

I have a Samsung N140 (with older Atom N270 CPU). The build quality, keyboard is very good. Battery life is 6+ hours for casual work. Based on that I would recommend Samsung N210 or even older N150 models. Not sure about after sales service from Samsung. But they do offer pick-up and drop service in major cities.

I have the HP Mini 210 1122TU, has 2gig ram and a 320 gig hdd, came with Windows 7 Starter, I upgraded it ti Ultimate, works flawlessly. Only concern for some will be the 6 cell battery that juts out from the back. I easily get 5 hours of movie watching done with it :)

Mohit said:
I doubt they will be able to cope up with Windows 7.
Been using my Samsung N128 with Win 7 32bit Ultimate. On a measly 1GB RAM, Win 7 ran flawlessly. Can as well disable the Aero for a smoother experience. I don't think the N128 retails now. The next cheaper model could be the N148. You shouldn't be really bothered about the screen size when you go for a netbook - most netbooks come with a 10.1" display which is pretty much OK for all those usages you have listed down. Never had issues withh my netbook so cannot comment on the support part. Build quality is pretty decent - certainly not in the leagues of the Alu body Macs but you get what you pay for! Keyboard is pretty much good - again not the chiclet types but typing is comfortable.

This was the cheapest offer I could find - eBay India: Samsung N148 Netbook 1GB / 250GB N450 Processor and Dos (item 140437478975 end time 05-Nov-2010 17:30:51 IST)

I have been using the Asus 1201T. Bought for 20.7K from buyamazingstuff. I must say 12" screen is comfortable. anything smaller is not.

Using with Windows 7 Ultimate. Handles it smoothly. Smooth 720p Playback. Battery around 3-4 hrs not much compared to other netbooks but ok.

Keyboard and build quality is very good. You can refer to reviews for this.

I am also inclined to the Asus 1201T or some Samsung model. Samsung has so many models and its pretty confusing now :S

How is the N210 Samsung anybody?

@Gannu

Would prefer a 2GB model. Please advice :)

Got these quotes from my dealer today,

1. ASUS 1201T - 12" LED, AMD 1.6G, 320GB , 2GB DDR2, 6 CELL :16000/- (This price looks too low and I think he quoted the wrong model. Also this will take like a week for delivery.)

2. GATEWAY LT21 - Not available

3. GATEWAY LT23 - Not available

4. SONY VAIO VPCM126AG - 10", INTEL ATOM 1.83 GHZ, 320GB, 2GB DDR2 : 21850/-

5. MSI WIND U135 - Not Available

6. SAMSUNG NP-N-210-JB01IN - 10" , 2GB DDR2, 250GB, 6 CELL- 18500/-

7. DELL MINI - 10", 2GB DDR2, 320GB/WINDOWS XP - 19700/-

The Dell Mini looks nice as it comes with XP loaded. Just wondering if I can buy Complete Cover separately for it?

EDIT :

And just got another quote from ICC world for this,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220760

Rs. 22,800/-

The price for Asus 1201T should be around re.21000, ASUS eeePC netbooks have a really good build quality and the one mentioned here has a really good on-board gfx too(HD 3200). It truly is the only concluded choice in your budget.

If you need battery life go for Gateway LT21 or LT23.

I have the LT2104u which has a 6 cell battery and gives me 10 hrs instead of the written 8 hrs:hap2:

aman.pitbull said:
The price for Asus 1201T should be around re.21000, ASUS eeePC netbooks have a really good build quality and the one mentioned here has a really good on-board gfx too(HD 3200). It truly is the only concluded choice in your budget.

I am also inclined towards it but sadly its not available here it seems and this guy doesn't understand that he is quoting the wrong model.
harishgayatri said:
If you need battery life go for Gateway LT21 or LT23.

I have the LT2104u which has a 6 cell battery and gives me 10 hrs instead of the written 8 hrs:hap2:
Gateway is also not available. But they look really nice :)

If you have a croma store near you then they will have Gateway netbooks with them.

I got a Croma booklet and the price written in there is Gateway LT23 series Rs. 20,999/-

I would recommend you to go for HP Mini 210-1117TU Laptop which comes with the following features:
Atom 450, 10.1" HD LED, 2GB DDR2, 320GB, Audio:Generic,Stereo, Speakers:Generic,Stereo, 802.11b/g Lan, WiFi, Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone, 93% Full size island-style keyboard, Bluetooth, 6 Cell, Win 7 Starter, Size:268 mm X 178 mm X 22.9 mm

I have been using samsung n210 for couple of months. I would highly recommend it as it really gives nice battery backup of 10 hrs (lowest screen brightness setting) with good built quality and good speakers. Sony - adv good looking netbook with 320gb hdd and a slightly better processor but with poor battery life (4-5 hrs)
Asus - bigger better screen again with poor battery life.
So if your prime concern is good battery backup, which should be or else u wouldnt be looking for a netbook go ahead with samsung or else hunt for asus 10 inch model 1005pe which also has got good reviews but was not available anywhere couple of months back.
Gateway not sure if the build quality will be as good as vaio or samsung.

bgboss said:
I would recommend you to go for HP Mini 210-1117TU Laptop which comes with the following features:

Atom 450, 10.1" HD LED, 2GB DDR2, 320GB, Audio:Generic,Stereo, Speakers:Generic,Stereo, 802.11b/g Lan, WiFi, Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone, 93% Full size island-style keyboard, Bluetooth, 6 Cell, Win 7 Starter, Size:268 mm X 178 mm X 22.9 mm
Price??

techno_guy said:
Also MSI X340 is a good option with 13'' screen

Price??
redhopes said:
I have been using samsung n210 for couple of months. I would highly recommend it as it really gives nice battery backup of 10 hrs (lowest screen brightness setting) with good built quality and good speakers. Sony - adv good looking netbook with 320gb hdd and a slightly better processor but with poor battery life (4-5 hrs)

Asus - bigger better screen again with poor battery life.

So if your prime concern is good battery backup, which should be or else u wouldnt be looking for a netbook go ahead with samsung or else hunt for asus 10 inch model 1005pe which also has got good reviews but was not available anywhere couple of months back.

Gateway not sure if the build quality will be as good as vaio or samsung.
Thank you for the information.

Back