CPU/Mobo Which P45 Motherboard?

So, the time has finally come when i am getting a major chunk of components together for the build.

I have a budget of around 13K for the motherboard.

The options i see are -

MSI P45 Platinum
Asus P5Q Deluxe

Which one out of these two? I did prefer the P5Q deluxe without any second thoughts, but with the price closing 13K for the new stocks i am a bit skeptical.

Hence i am giving the MSI board a thought too which is around 2.5K cheaper.

I did some homework here, reviews suggest that it is not a very good oc'er - but that does not matter so much. i just need it to be solid board with moderate oc'ing

Then, the bios cannot be updated through USB, is that really so?

Or is the live update thingy from MSI good enough?

Help me out here guys..

IMO I like ASUS any day as a mobo company, go with the P5Q DLX I got the PRO and is working great.

Then, the bios cannot be updated through USB, is that really so?

Yes it can.

well, that +1 for Asus P5Q deluxe,

gimme some more, i wonder why the review says that the bios on MSI can;t be updated through USB..

Dear Infected, i am looking a your siggy, what are the tempratures on the E8400, what thermal goop are you using?

The Asus has lots of fans here but personally I just ordered an MSI P45 Plat for a friend. Having been on an Asus for the better part of my computing life, I'd rather not want an Asus product go faulty.

With 13k budget, you can even think higher end models.

But out of these 2, its really not a contest. P5Q anyday over the MSI. MSI has been rolling out some pathetic boards lately.

There is no need to worry much about warranty as ASUS from Rashi will carry 3 year warranty and 1 year instant off the shelf replacement warranty now. So if board goes kaput within 1st year, you get brand new board instantly as replacement.

Even if this was not the case, I would always choose better product and between these two its clearly ASUS. You cant ( shouldnt ) live with fear of after sales service and compromise heavily on the components.

^^ thanks a kazillion!!

So, what are the other models you can think of with a 13K budget.

If it helps, here is what is going into it -

E8400
Seventeam 750Watts
4870 Sonic
4Gb Gskill

No arguments there. I've had really bad experiences with Rashi regarding RMAs hence my aversion to Asus. One board took 3 month + before they gave a credit note and another board's still with Rashi for 2 months + now.

But then it might be cos most services suck here in the NE.

They have revamped their ASS structure afaik. and from what ppl here have been saying its improved. not too sure about your place though

Alrightey, some questions -

what bios does the P5Q deluxe currently ship with? is an upgrade required?
Are upgrade through USB safe?

Also, they have a fan which is supposed to fit on the board, is it required?

Will a sunbeam CCF cooler fit on this board?The cooler comes with a fan controller, is the fan not controller by the mobo??

I'd think a BIOS upgrade thru USB would be much more safer than thru a floppy. Much safer than thru Windows too.

I think the fan is for if u don't have a HSF blowing downwards (like the stock cooler)

Then why that most of the Reviews keep MSI P45 boards on par with ASUS boards ?!?!?! :-(

I own MSI Neo4 Platinum and ASUS A8N-CSM. The ASUS board is really bad and so I kind of feel odd to go on to P5Q ?!?!? But I guess its just that the ASUS board is of Lower Tier.

senfunn said:
Then why that most of the Reviews keep MSI P45 boards on par with ASUS boards ?!?!?! :-(

I own MSI Neo4 Platinum and ASUS A8N-CSM. The ASUS board is really bad and so I kind of feel odd to go on to P5Q ?!?!? But I guess its just that the ASUS board is of Lower Tier.

In terms of computer hardware, you are comparing ancient products in wrong category. Lot, or should I say everything had changed from NF4 days. MSI Neo4 Platinum was high end board. A8N-CSM was value board from ASUS. A8N32 SLI Deluxe was competitor to the Neo4 platinum and it too was a darn good board (had little issue with the NB fans but it had easy workaround ).

MSI has gone way too conservative these days. Even Neo4 platinum was conservative. It only gave user option of 2.85v which was not enough for legendary microns of the time. at the same time other manufacturers were offering voltages all the way upto 3.6v. Same trend is here today. Their voltage options, suck, their bios sucks and the board dont overclock well at all. Cheap biostar/gigabyte board trounce the entire MSI range when it comes to real world practicality.

@saintsinner : You wont need bios update on P5Q, all the bios support your choice of processor.

You can easily update the bios using USB drive, no problems there. Eazy flash will make that job even easier.

CCF fits on this board. It takes little effort to get it in place( thats given on any board to be honest. CCF is not the easiest cooler to mount or unmount ), but it fits.

guys, thanks for all your help.

i am getting the following tommorow -

P5Q deluxe
E8400
WD 640GB (is AACS really that bad?)
DVD Writer - Please help! Tell me which one!!
Some 2 GB DDR2 RAM - Help me decide (need it as a backup for 2 weeks until my G Skills arrive)
Shripad sir, one question about the sunbeam CCF - Why does it have a fan controller? Is the fan not controlled by the mobo??

its not a PWM fan. Thats why controller is provided. Its regular 3 pin fan.

Even then, I wont bother with the controller and run the fan at full speed. Its not that noisy.

DVD Writer - Please help! Tell me which one!!

Some 2 GB DDR2 RAM - Help me decide (need it as a backup for 2 weeks until my G Skills arrive)

DVD-RW --- Samsung 22x DVD-RW(model is something like SH 22wB or something...green drive :p)

RAM--- Get Transcend 2 X 1GB DDR2 800 Mhz (look out for the P Sticker alongside the barcode in the RAMstick) , else u can get a single stick of 2GB as u gonna replace it anyway

WD 640GB (is AACS really that bad?)

YA its quite a bit slower than the AAKS. Order the AAKS from Amarbir(lynx)

Back