PC Peripherals Which PC to retain - P4 2.8E vs Athlon X2 3600+

mod-the-pc

Disciple
I've decided to retain one among the following 2 PCs. Which one should I be retaining ?
1. P4 2.8E Prescott + Intel 865GBF + 1.5 GB DDR 400
2. Athlon X2 3600+ Brisbane + Asus M2NPV-VM + 1 GB DDR 667
Also how much could I overclock the second CPU ? I've got a Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 on it.
Thanks

The X2 3600+.

Lower TDP and dual core.

X2 3600+ was the first 65nm proc, so overclocking results varied quite a bit. Your best bet is to try, but on your particular board I would prefer running it stock if you want it to last long.

I would choose the athlon x2 over the p4.

-AM2 platform ( in case u feel like an upgrade, then u can get a second hand phenom -a 9950 maybe )

-DVI out

- x2 3600 is a superb overclocker. I havent read much about your motherboard. but i guess its pretty easy to reach 2. 4-5 from 1.9ghz (Alpine 64 is ok. hope you have AM2 bracket for the same. )

cheers !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Crazy_Eddy said:
The X2 3600+.

Lower TDP and dual core.

X2 3600+ was the first 65nm proc, so overclocking results varied quite a bit. Your best bet is to try, but on your particular board I would prefer running it stock if you want it to last long.
Yeah Dual core..how`d i miss that !

Also, i`d say , given the age of cpu+mobo, let it run on stock. Unless you want to "app. specific" overclock. ( game or photoshop etc. )

hawk_128 said:
Also, i`d say , given the age of cpu+mobo, let it run on stock.
Is the stock performance better than the Prescott given the low clock speed ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

hawk_128 said:
I would choose the athlon x2 over the p4.
-AM2 platform ( in case u feel like an upgrade, then u can get a second hand phenom -a 9950 maybe )
Wouldn't the board be a bottleneck for the Phenom if I upgrade ?

mod-the-pc said:
Is the stock performance better than the Prescott given the low clock speed ?

The dual-core would be much better for daily computing needs.

Ahem". Don`t know :ashamed:

Asus site shows support for Phenom2 X3/X4 :S

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards - ASUS M2NPV-VM

Phenom2 is AM3 right ?

again it shows,

M2NPV-VM BIOS 5005

Beta support AM3 CPU

^ any comments guys ?

^^

The AMD x2 3600+ is a better system than the Prescott (in fact if remembered the first AMD Dual-cores ripped through the Intel NetBurst based systems with ease),

ASUS has a bad A.S.S. system in India + the board you mentioned is really old and not recommended for a Phenom based chip (the TDP is not supported over 95W) and the overall build of the board also looks shifty to me.

mod-the-pc said:

No. One of the advantages of having an on-die mem controller is that an outdated chipset on a board doesn't impact performance.

DDR3 vs DDR2 might have a slight impact, but nothing noticeable.

As everyone said, you need to just look out for BIOS support + TDP.

Even an Athlon II X4 has a 95W TDP. However since its an entry level board, you just might be pushing the board's power circuitry. Which is also why I said take it easy on the overclocking part.

Back