Android Which Pixel will keep receiving updates for 4 to 5 years?

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
can any one suggest me a pixel device which will keep receiving updates for 4 to 5 years and I don't have to change the device for the same. will be used for development purpose ...

can any one suggest me a pixel device which will keep receiving updates for 4 to 5 years and I don't have to change the device for the same. will be used for development purpose ...
I had purchased a refurbished Pixel 3 as a secondary device which turned out to be bootloader locked because it was from US. However, in general, it is still a good device for daily use and because it supports GSI in the secondary partition, it can be used for development even for later versions of Android. Thus, an old Pixel will do great for development.

Otherwise, if you can unlock the bootloader and load a custom ROM, then you can basically use any device to target the latest API for development, not necessary to spend a bucket load on the latest Pixel. Honestly, the only reason to get the Pixel is for the camera. Interface is also smoother on lesser hardware because of lack of bloated skins and optimisation. Otherwise, it doesn't stand out in other parameters.

Last edited:
I had purchased a refurbished Pixel 3 as a secondary device which turned out to be bootloader locked because it was from US. However, in general, it is still a good device for daily use and because it supports GSI in the secondary partition, it can be used for development even for later versions of Android. Thus, an old Pixel will do great for development.

Otherwise, if you can unlock the bootloader and load a custom ROM, then you can basically use any device to target the latest API for development, not necessary to spend a bucket load on the latest Pixel. Honestly, the only reason to get the Pixel is for the camera. Interface is also smoother on lesser hardware because of lack of bloated skins and optimisation. Otherwise, it doesn't stand out in other parameters.
won't want to load custom rom is the real issue here. official update based is what I am looking into...

won't want to load custom rom is the real issue here. official update based is what I am looking into...
Pixels get update for 3 years only. Security patches go up to 4 years from Pixel 6 i think. Try to get a used/refurbished Pixel 5, from US if possible. That's the last sanely designed Pixel they brought.

Back