Which pressure pump to buy?

matoind

Adept
May 24, 2009
I want to buy a presure pump in my house in Delhi.

I want to know which brand has good quality / service? I was thinking of grundfos, but I heard that the service is hopeless.

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
What is the approx. head you require the water (?) to be displaced? For instance from a sump located at the ground floor to a tank located at the 2nd floor. That will determine the power requirement as well.

I am assuming you would require a self priming one? Or is this pump going to be a submersible type?

Grundfos is pretty good but expensive. Why not some desi brands instead? There are some Indian manufacturers that offers pumps with decent build quality and performance. I am not sure about their service though. Look for V-Guard, CRI Akash, Johnson etc

matoind

Adept
May 24, 2009
Water would come to my floor from a tank two floors above. Though I have 4 bathrooms+Kitchen+Washing Area, only two bathrooms are expected to run at once. The pressure pump would come with a pressurised tank of 18 Lit or 24 Lit I guess.

Some dealer told me that currently only imported pumps are being marketed by companies.

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Where are you pumping this water from? Is there a sump on the ground floor? I am not sure why pressure pump is required here. A normal centrifugal self-priming pump should do. Or a submersible if you have a sump underneath the ground.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Your dealer is certainly wrong or he is acting smart by luring you into buying an expensive pump!

matoind

Adept
May 24, 2009
Pressure pumps are used to maintain Hign pressure in the lines. It also has a tank with half of it used by a air filled bladder. In case the pump is not used, it charges the tank and switches off. For little water, the pump does not switch on. But below a certain pressure, the pump switches on.

It is used so that we can enjoy the shower etc. Rather than filling a tank, it works after a filled tank.

Click http://www.grundfos.in/web/homein.nsf/Webopslag/NLAN-5CSGZ8 and select CH booster for info.

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Seems like this pump acts like a hydrophore vessel wherein pressure is maintained inside the vessel filled with water at all times so when a tap is opened, adequate flow is ensured.

Have you outweighed the advantages of using a separate tank (like a 500L Sintex tank) and using a normal centrifugal self-priming pump? The difference in expenses could be substantial. A pump with a 1~1.5 HP motor should be sufficient to pump water from the ground to your terrace where you could locate the tank.

matoind

Adept
May 24, 2009
The only problem is that I would need to switch on the pump everytime I required water. This system is automated. It works the moment the pressue falls below certain level. My tank is already on the terrace. But the new gen shower systems require pressurised water to become enjoyable.

dovakhiin

Adept
Jan 17, 2012
Bangalore
We're using a Calpeda pressure pump in my house for the shower panels and solar heater.Its very reliable and only failed once even that due to our mistake.In fact at the same time there was an electrical problem so we're not sure if the pump failed or if it was an electrical problem.For a motor that's working 24-hrs a day all year it has failed just once in the last 5 years so I highly recommend it.When it failed that one time we called up the store who sold it to us.They took it away for service.Service cost a lot..8000 bucks IIRC.The motor itself cost around 20k.I recommend sticking to foreign companies like Grundfos.Since the motor is working all day long it needs to be solid and reliable.Spending extra money will pay off in the long run.

Another issue is it keeps running when the tank is dry or at least you can hear it make noise permanently since its not getting any water to pump.So its better to have an automatic motor setup,the kind which ensures that the tank never goes dry.Either way do some research on this issue before buying.Maybe there are pumps which cut-off when the tank is dry.Hope this helped.

matoind

Adept
May 24, 2009
Have gone for Grundfos finally. There were some Cromption and Kirloskar models being pushes by shop keepers. But they are ordinary pumps with chinese tanks and controls. So in Delhi, there was not much of a choice left. There was a leader brand (now owned by Grundfos), but it was all plastic. (price Rs 13K against Grundfos Rs 20K). Thankfully Grundfos has opened their own service center, so the service should not be a problem.