CPU/Mobo Which processor is good? (AMD)

maxme

Disciple
Hi Guys,

Going to build a HTPC rig with following parts

Processor : AMD AM2 5000+ (Brisbane) or AM2 5600+ (Windsor)
Motherboard : MSI K9AGM2-FIH (Rs. 4900)
RAM : Transcend 2 x 1 GB DDR2 667 Mhz (Rs. 4000)
HDD : Seagate SATA 250 GB (Rs. 2950) (already have 80 GB IDE)
ATX Cabinet : will choose one...

I am going to choose existing Monitor 17' inch, keyaboard, mouse and speakers

After some time I will go a viewsonic lcd and graphics card

I am confused in Processor, do i need a 5600+ windsor or 5000+ brisbane will suffice?

USAGE: PC is going to be used for Movies, videos and browsing(downloading).
I hardly install a game and if I will it will be pre 2006 released one.
Note: Not going to overclock it.

price difference b/n 5000+ and 5600+ is bit too much...why not settle for 5200+(2mb cache)...and go for biostar ta690g mobo..it has a builtin tv out(s video)....best for htpc ..

I think 5200+ or 5000+ will be enough.
Read specs and review of Biostar mobo, but how much reliable is this board?

I have been Intel user for 4+ years now and switching to AMD so I don't know much about it.

Well, since you're not going to be gaming, it makes sense to get a slower processor, and a bigger display as you're going to watch movies, etc. 5000+ Brisbane @ 2.6 Ghz should be good enough. :)

maxme said:
USAGE: PC is going to be used for Movies, videos and browsing(downloading).
I hardly install a game and if I will it will be pre 2006 released one.
Note: Not going to overclock it.

Thats it? Then even a 3600 will be more than enough. Spend the money saved on a bigger LCD :p

I'd listen to Tehdevil and Zhopudey

I'm getting a MCE machine too, basically built around a PCTV 110i ( for dad )

me buying an AMD X2 4000+ and a dell 22inch with the cash saved on the proccy :D

Basically I need something equivalent to entry level C2D from so I guess I have to go for 5000+ or more.

plus no overclocking so stock speed should be high enough.

and certainly buy biostar ta690g, thanks cricfan

so overall damage will be around 20k.

Thanks guys

er, dude , WHY :S doy ou need a E4300 class proccessor to listen to music and watch movies

for MCE duty, a basic proccy is more than enough. you should be focussing on the peripherals . which tv tuner are you buying ?

a 5000+ should be sufficient for your usage but get a decent gfx card a 8500GT 512mb will be around 5.8k the 256 mb is around 4.7k last check on friday Prime ABGB.

zhopudey said:
7600gs doesn't do anything for HD movies :)

load of BS....click

and click on the below link for futher info..

With a 1.9GHz clock speed, the affordable Athlon X2 3600+ has enough horsepower for MPEG2 playback. That won't cut it for movies encoded in VC-1 or H.264 formats, though; you'll need at least an Athlon X2 4600+ to ensure smooth playback with all HD DVD and Blu-ray movies at their maximum resolution. AMD also recommends dual-channel memory configurations of at least DDR2-667, and a minimum of 1GB of memory for playback in Windows XP, and 2GB for Vista.

click

Yes. Believe in marketing :D They also say it does - Advanced 16x anisotropic filtering (with up to 128 taps) and Blistering-fast antialiasing and compression performance. So I guess I won't need the 9800gtx after all :p

As for HD-DVD and BR, I doubt the OP will be getting a drive for that, much less getting any titles in India :p

seriously...i was planning to buy the same combo of 690G and x2...then thought of getting a nforce chipset without video card and adding a low end 7 series nvidia..after reading that article..i am back to 690g wagon.

Offtopic: how is your jetway mobo going?lack of pci x1-x4 slot made me dump it.plan to add a x1 tv card one day.

i have got many of my frends 690g based mobo, jetway n gigabyte both are good. even used this combo on a 40 ' samsung lcd no problems .

there r two versions in gigabyte..one"s2h" supports both dvi and dsub and the other one "s3h" is a atx board with only dsub out but with two pci xp 16 slots...i feel "s2h" microatx is good for htpc's...know anything abt the cost.

Back