CPU/Mobo Which processor to choose ?

intelfanboy

Disciple
As you all know,the king of desktop processors the core i7 has come out,BUT the confusion is which processor to choose.I'm not sure on which of the following to choose:
i7-920
or
i7-860
both use different sockets.
I'm building a comp to replace my old one .i want it to be FUTUREPROOF(i.e,3-5yrs of usage).

my specs are:
PROCESSOR :I7-920
MOBO:ASUS RAMAPAGE2
RAM:4GB DDR3 200MHZ FROM OCZ
GPU:ATI OR Nvidia(help choose the best under 6k,my preference ati readon 4850)
CASE:COOLER MASTER
MONITOR:VIEWSONIC OR SAMSUNG 22"(which is better?)
HDD:SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB@7200RPM
SPEAKERS:CREATIVE 2.1

please help as i wish to run this rig until i finish my college (ie,5yrs from now) .
:)

Re: Confusing intel....!

Wait for about 3-4 months as intel will release its new 32nm clarkdale series of processors in jan3 and Nvidia will releazse their DX11 Fermi cards by march,2010.

don't fall for waiting game, if you start to wait you will wait forever... i7 930 is just tweak of i7 920 just mildly OC i7 920 clarkdale will be low end or mid end.. socket of 1156 in relative to i7s

panther said:
don't fall for waiting game, if you start to wait you will wait forever... i7 930 is just tweak of i7 920 just mildly OC i7 920 clarkdale will be low end or mid end.. socket of 1156 in relative to i7s

Jan 3 is not that far is it? 28days approx

Ya, a few weeks wait is fine otherwise I dont think "wait" is something that would go hand in hand with the Computer hardware industry. We encounter changes every 3 months, whether its the processor architecture or the motheboard chipsets, everything changes every other month.

2-3 weeks wait is fine though if its worth it.

intelfanboy said:
As you all know,the king of desktop processors the core i7 has come out,BUT the confusion is which processor to choose.I'm not sure on which of the following to choose:
i7-920
or
i7-860
both use different sockets.
I'm building a comp to replace my old one .i want it to be FUTUREPROOF(i.e,3-5yrs of usage).

my specs are:
PROCESSOR :I7-920
MOBO:ASUS RAMAPAGE2
RAM:4GB DDR3 200MHZ FROM OCZ
GPU:ATI OR Nvidia(help choose the best under 6k,my preference ati readon 4850)
CASE:COOLER MASTER
MONITOR:VIEWSONIC OR SAMSUNG 22"(which is better?)
HDD:SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB@7200RPM
SPEAKERS:CREATIVE 2.1

please help as i wish to run this rig until i finish my college (ie,5yrs from now) .
:)

A 6k graphics card with an i7 based machine ? :no:

You need to balance your configuration , either get i5 + good gfx or get a cheaper LGA1366 board UD3P or something .

Also you missed you which Power Supply you will get .. :)

To get further advice from members mention what the rig will be primarily used for ?

If you haven't bought any yet , then i can make an i5 rig @ 48.4k capable ofCrossfire and SLI at 8x dual and 16x single

Intel Core i5 750 - 10k

Intel DP55WG - 8k ( Crossfire and SLI at 8x dual and 16x single )

Transcend Ram 2gb 1333mhz - 2.3k

Cooler Master Real Pro 460w - 3.5k

Logitech Kb+mouse combo - .7k

Samsung/LG Dvd Writer - 1.1k

ATI 4870 512mb - 8.6k

Seagate 1TB 7200.12 series - 3.8k

CM Elite 310 - 1.5k

Monitor: Benq G2200 HD - 8k

Total - 48.4k

Intel Core i5 750 beats Phenom II 965 and consumes less power than Phenom II 965

Don't worry ab8 Intel mobo. Its also a pretty decent(mild)overclocker too

You can't get any mobo other than Intel DP55WG @ 8k which provides SLI as well as Crossfire solutions side by side at 8x dual and 16x single

You have not mentioned what use are you going to put your comp to.

For a real meaningful answer, that would be a more suitable introduction (rather then utting up specs).

You could have a future proof rig with much lower specs too, but all depends on the the end use.

There's always new stuff coming out just in a little time. If you need a computer, buy it. Desktop upgrades can be done in small parts in the future. The best of today is going to be good for at least 3 years. I had an FX-57 that I got in 2005 and it's still going very strong today. Technology always moves ahead, so if there's a need, buy now or you'll always be waiting for something better to come along.

crvinay_4u said:
32nm & corei3,I believe will change the entire computing scene if intel executes its plans properly
@32nm: Would you buy a Car which has launched it's new model recently or wait for the 2010 model which would cost lot more? Doesn't make sense...

@core i3: wait if you like to spend less on a new PC but I would recommend you core i5-750 based PC (budget between 50-75K based on your config) if you are a gamer or an application developer. I would guarantee you at least 5 years of life (even if you spend 60K on such a PC, ave. is just 1k/month!).

HT enabled like core i7 860 and 870 doesn't matter much to 90% folks and they are far more expensive (heard the difference between i5-750 & i7-860 is almost 5,000 in India???)!

WARNING: DO NOT buy any MOBO which ships with Foxconn socket if you do lot of OC!!. I would recommend you guys to consider Gigabyte-P55A series or EVGA MOBOs in that case...please read few reviews on Motherboards.

CAUTION: If you are a high end GPU user or do heavy OC (mostly nearing 4.0 GHz or more), make sure you dump the Intel retail i5-750 fan, get a high performing one like Thermalright 120 MUX. And, never compromise on the PSU for the sake of 1-3K saving!

Back