CPU/Mobo Which RAM for Z77/Z68

Vandal

Skilled
This might sound like a silly question, but I've been reading about people having issues with faster memory on the newer Intel processors, due to the memory controller voltage and such issues. So I must ask, what speed of RAM should I ideally look for? Given that I'm looking at 2 sticks of 4 GB each, and a dual channel kit. I don't really have a budget in mind, but would ideally like to spend less than 6K for the memory, given that DDR3 is dirt cheap these days.

I'd give preference to Corsair since I can get it locally, they are present in India and so. Are their any broad parameters I should keep in mind? What voltage should the memory run at? It is true that 1866 MHz and 2133 MHz memory will run at 1600 MHz and 2000 MHz respectively?

GSkill Ripjaws X? In any case, most 8GB 1600MHz kits should be under 3.5k. If you plan for an after market HSF, then avoid the Corsair Vengeance series. they are too tall and may make installation of HSFs difficult/impossible. Most Sandy Bridge certified RAM is rated for 1.5v operation which is what would be available in the market for the most part and should be perfectly fine.

I would most likely look for an aftermarket bolt on. How cool is the 2600K under normal usage? I'm used to a Q6600, which is what I use at home. Currently I use a TR Ultima 90i, which is found quite good. However, i'm not an overclocker, so I haven't stress tested anything.

I would most likely look for an aftermarket bolt on. How cool is the 2600K under normal usage? I'm used to a Q6600, which is what I use at home. Currently I use a TR Ultima 90i, which is found quite good. However, i'm not an overclocker, so I haven't stress tested anything.

I don't have a 2600k, but it shouldn't be much different from a 2500k. Under normal usage and stock cooler, the CPU should be staying within 55~62 deg under load and under 45deg when idle, but I have to say that the Sandy Bridge stock cooler is too puny. With a TR Venomous X, I get under 50deg load temps and 36~38deg idle.

Ajay, can you suggest a good HS with a 90mm fan? I find these pretty light and compact, and since I don't OC, I wouldn't opt for a 120mm fan HS. I tried the TR120 extreme, and found it overkill for my purposes. Are there any HSF around the 400~550 gram mark that are around 30% better than the stock solution at stock speeds?

Ajay, can you suggest a good HS with a 90mm fan? I find these pretty light and compact, and since I don't OC, I wouldn't opt for a 120mm fan HS. I tried the TR120 extreme, and found it overkill for my purposes. Are there any HSF around the 400~550 gram mark that are around 30% better than the stock solution at stock speeds?

Well Sire, for your needs this is what I suggest --
  • Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS RAM modules due to the lower profile heat-spreader which will not disturb your third-party cooler / fan installation.
  • I cannot corroborate but the G.Skill's are a reliable kit and over-clock better. I use G.Skill RIPJAWS @stock settings on my Phenom IIx4 RIG, don't heat up much either.
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is the minimum you should get because its lower cousin, the Hyper TX3 used the push-pin system of installation like Intel stock HSF and I find the pressure applied to be insufficient for effective heat-dissipation.
  • The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is light too ~450gm [just cooler] and a total weight of not more than ~550gm [with fan]. For reviews head here --> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo.html / http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_hyper212_evo/.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

GSkill Ripjaws X? In any case, most 8GB 1600MHz kits should be under 3.5k. If you plan for an after market HSF, then avoid the Corsair Vengeance series. they are too tall and may make installation of HSFs difficult/impossible. Most Sandy Bridge certified RAM is rated for 1.5v operation which is what would be available in the market for the most part and should be perfectly fine.

I'm running 16gigs of vengeance with a hyper 212 evo. It fits fine - only issue is I had to move the fan to the other side. Cheap and excellent ram - does 2GHz at stock voltage.

I'm running 16gigs of vengeance with a hyper 212 evo. It fits fine - only issue is I had to move the fan to the other side. Cheap and excellent ram - does 2GHz at stock voltage.

Well, moving the fan to other side is not really possible in all the situations. Most important if the person is using an AMD RIG.

The cooler overhangs a little over DIMM_0 and if any heat-spreader as tall as the one on the Vengeance comes in the way the fan is irreplaceable, on the North end OR the South end.

For Intel sockets the cooler can be arranged on either axis, North <--> South OR East <--> West.

Well, moving the fan to other side is not really possible in all the situations. Most important if the person is using an AMD RIG.

The cooler overhangs a little over DIMM_0 and if any heat-spreader as tall as the one on the Vengeance comes in the way the fan is irreplaceable, on the North end OR the South end.

For Intel sockets the cooler can be arranged on either axis, North <--> South OR East <--> West.

Agreed but this thread is for intel procs in which you very much have the flexibility
<

Well I have a pair of 4GB Ripjaws (not the Ripjaws X!) and a 120 mm fan mounted to a TRU120E heatsink, with the fan facing the memory slots. I couldn't manage to clamp the fan on the pull side - tried a lot but failed since my hands weren't able to get to those clamps.

The fan has a width of 38 mm, covers the first memory slot and manages to just touch the first memory module present on the second slot. Doesn't exert any stress on it though. This despite the Ripjaws module having a low height. I believe the Corsair XMS3 module also has a low height compared to Vengeance which is raised towards the center.

So if you have a fan of 38 mm width, take care of this part.

Ripjaws x usually oc better and corsair has gone down slightly with their ram compared to several years back, second choice is still corsair

Is there any chance you can import the ram ?

If I were you I would look for a 2000mhz plus kit, simply coz Z77 supports those speeds. Wouldnt look at anything more than 8gb. Also do you have a ssd for this system ?

Popular HSF's from Thermalright and Noctua would have problems with the height of Vengeance. Considering how my Venomous X slightly comes over the first DIMM slot on my Asus Z68 Deluxe, I don't think the cooler would fit with Vengeance, leave alone the fan. Even if its a question of the fan, making do by putting it on the left side is not always an option as there would always be people who want to do Push pull.

Even Ripjaws X is a bare fit if you want a fan on the right with coolers like Venomous X. In my rig, I have all 4 slots populated with Ripjaws X, and I am doing a push pull with config with Venomous X. On the right, I have a 38mm wide Scythe Ultra Kaze 135CFM fan, and it touches the RAM slots, using the clips the right way did not seem possible. So even though I still use the clips that came with the HS, I am using them in a different way which worked for me.

Popular HSF's from Thermalright and Noctua would have problems with the height of Vengeance. Considering how my Venomous X slightly comes over the first DIMM slot on my Asus Z68 Deluxe, I don't think the cooler would fit with Vengeance, leave alone the fan. Even if its a question of the fan, making do by putting it on the left side is not always an option as there would always be people who want to do Push pull.

True but in Noctua's case, you can raise the fan appropriately. I have done this on my RIG and it is an easy procedure, the problem is the lower fins do not get any direct air-flow across them, to remedy this I have seated my pull fan lower, this allows it to cool the lower fins and blow the air over the MOSFET and its heatsink thus further improving the overall utility.

I use a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 on a ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO.

135CFM fan? What cpu are you running? I have a single Scythe s-flex 1200rpm fan that is dead quiet and still my 2500k idles at 4GHz at room temperature + 3 degrees and on load barely reaches 50.

^^ I also run a 2500K @ 4.5Ghz. idles at 35~37 deg and load @ 48~50 deg. I use a Push Pull Config. A 135CFM fan pushing air from the right and a 90CFM fan pulling air on the other side.

True but in Noctua's case, you can raise the fan appropriately. I have done this on my RIG and it is an easy procedure, the problem is the lower fins do not get any direct air-flow across them, to remedy this I have seated my pull fan lower, this allows it to cool the lower fins and blow the air over the MOSFET and its heatsink thus further improving the overall utility.

I use a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 on a ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO.

AFAIK even Noctua U12P SE2 does not fit with Vengeance sticks on a number of boards where the DIMM slot is close to the CPU socket such that the HS has to come over the DIMM. I had emailed Noctua at the time as if I remember right, as per the rep to answered me, U12P has 40mm clearance in terms of height and this is too close even for Ripjaws X which measure in at 39 odd mm. This why I chose to go with Venomous X which has wee bit more clearance.

Back