Audio Which Receiver+Speakers setup for movies.....

YoGi-Sama

Skilled
Oh boy… looks like my luck isn’t that good with speakers. The short version is that, my Logitech X-540’s woofer died and returned from dead after long wait (courtesy, incompetent Logitech service center). But since then, it’s just not the same. The volume knob is cranky (not our esteemed member Cranky-saar) and freaky (again, not our esteemed member Freaky-saar), let’s just say spooked. The channel separation is gone for toss. In short, I’m ready to introduce it to my hammer.

Anyway, while my X-540’s woofer shakes in fear (and otherwise)… I’m looking at other options. But, as always it’s not as easy as I thought.

The closest and the first option that popped in my mind was Logitech Z5500. It much more powerful, can do DTS 24/96 and has multiple input options (well, there is regular 3xstereo pins + optical option). The cheapest deal I could find was 16k. Not exactly cheap, eh? Then I remembered seeing Onkyo HT-S3100 selling for around 20k. If I’m changing my speaker setup, why not go for receiver + speakers if it’s just couple of thousands more, so I thought. Turns out HT-S3100 doesn’t have any HDMI inputs. I got three systems on HDMI (2 regular PCs + 1 HTPC) and 1 STB on composite cable hooked to my TV right now. Enter Onkyo HT-S3200, with 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. Sounds good, but wait, that one costs almost 29k.

So here’s million dollar question. What can I find preferably sub 25k which can fulfill my requirements?

my requirements in details as following

• At least 2 HDMI inputs (1 HDMI output would be default on any HDMI input system)

• Video upscaling on composite or component cables (for STB and my second PC)

• 5.1 speakers in bundle

• Usage – Movie, Game and Music (in that order). I don’t mind if speakers are bit bright or warm in music department. I listen to music mostly while working (and most of the times I’m working only) so the details are not my high priority. Although I personally prefer cleaner mids and tighter low ranges, highs are fine as long as it’s not disturbing or have noticeable shriek in it. There is not definitive genre that I prefer, but mostly my playlist consist of vocal oriented songs. As I said earlier, the primary usage of this setup is watching movies as that’s where I would pay more attention to the sound and range.

• If there such system available with 7.1 speakers set, I don’t mind stretching my budget to 30k. But I would prefer to stick to 25k with 5.1 setup.

So please help me out, so I can start enjoying my movies and games in good surround setup as the execution day for my X-540’s woofer nears.

^Low end audio receivers have HDMI passthrough so you need to connect your optical/coaxial cable to get the audio input to the receiver anyway.

When you have a LCD TV which accepts several HDMI inputs why bother the receiver then? Do consider the Philips HT3571 HTIB bundle - costs ~18k, accepts coaxial/digital inputs as well and has an HDMI output to upscale the DVDs. Most user reviews suggest that this system beats the low-end AVR + speakers' setup in terms of SQ. Might as well audition them and find out. :)

^ Sounds like a good idea Gannu, but the DVD player is absolutely useless to me (HTPC, remember?). The only reason I was interested even in up-scaling was for STB. Otherwise even non-HDMI receiver is fine for me. Another reason for multi-HDMI input was I can clear the clutter of wires going to TV. Everything can nicely be hidden going to receiver and a single cable for video will be going to TV (apart from power cable of-course). Nevertheless, I'll find more about that Phillips model you mentioned.

Go for Onkyo HT-3300, perfect for ur usage....Audition it before buying..so u can know if u like it or not, it is priced 25k....as many ppl bought.

Don't go for 3200 it is a complete joke on HDMI.

^ Anyone have any idea where I can audition Onkyo gear in Mumbai, and if HT-S3300 is really priced that low? Cause I've seen HT-S3200 selling for about 29k on ebay etc. If HT-S3300 is really that cheap then it sounds like great option to check out.

Thanks dissel for the tip. :)

@iGo: Me too looking for a similar setup, do share with us your impressions about it and yes can you tell me the rates that you got..

^ I won't be going for the auditions anytime soon, at least not before this month-end due to work... however, once that's over I'm planning to keep a weekend for checking out stuff. I still need to find out where I can audition Onkyo as well as any other options that I can find. I still can't believe HT-S3300 should cost around 25k, but I hope that's true. Let's see how it turns out.

Meanwhile guys, please keep suggestions coming. :)

Low-end Onkyo systems don't fair well. Don't take my word for it. Audition the systems yourself and find out. :)

iGo said:
^ Anyone have any idea where I can audition Onkyo gear in Mumbai,
check out here ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA

I'm sure anyone of these give u the demo.....this kind of system audition is must unless u heard elsewhere(family/friends house)......for final purchasing avoid croma/shopping mall unless the quote extremely lower price, Go directly to the Onkyo only dealer.

Yes....low end/entry level HTIB are not come with Audiophile grade speaker,but they can be upgrade any time later as the budget permits/user wants.

When u call dealer/helpline they quote the price 32k for 3300....this the MRP, but tell them ur friend bought 25k then they come with actual price(Call center even don't disclose the actual price). This is pretty strange but it works like this for Onkyo India.

there was a model HT-6200, which is quoted by all Onkyo official source 59k but it actually retail 49k....when dealer sold the model they said 10k is discount from Onkyo India and further bargaining lower price more.

Ah well... looks like no more audio indulgence for me. Finance minister has trashed by proposal, so I've short-financed to 15k (after loads and loads of crying and bickering) to new speaker sets. :(

Anyway, any suggestion for good ol' camputaar speakers (5.1, good mid-range and tight bass, and decent looks)???

Back