Which SII variant from the US?

WolVish85

Disciple
Hi guys,

After using my Nokia N9 for like 5 months, I've decided to sell it and get a dual/quad phone which plays HD videos with good Audio quality and call quality. I want a phone in the range of 20-24 k. After searching for a while I decided to get an SII. But here in India, we only get the I9100G version, which I don't want to spend on. My bro is coming from the US and I'm gonna ask him to buy. I don't care about warranty in India.

The problem is that, there are so many variants there apart from the standard I9100. Which one is good, Skyrocket or T-Mobile Version or At&T version or US Cellular one? I'm going for an unlocked phone only. Should I consider any other thing apart from a Manufacturer warranty?

Or are there any other phones in the range of 20-25k better than the S II? Please advice.

Thanks in advance,
Wolvish

Dont buy At&t S2 the emmc bug is a PIA . Cell dies without flashing also and once dead no one except Samsung USA can repair it . Xda is full of it . Skyrocket is not S2 , with increase in screen size , pixel density which is same as S2 has resulted in lower quality display . S2 international version , all Samsung service centre guys will be able to repair it also

Thank you for all your inputs guys. I'll try to get the International SGSII then. I really liked Atrix HD too, but with Moto out of APAC, I can't even repair it for money right? I already owned a Defy and Camera is not good on that either :)

Motorola Atrix HD also has a locked bootloader and as all the other atrix version the support will be very less, I think your best bet should be I9100 or i777 from At&t which is same as the international version (although Kuduku said about the emmc bug I don't know much about it) so think accordingly and act, afterall you are going to spend 20K of your hard earned money

Kuduku, the emmc bug only affects custom rom flashing as is the case with the Note. I have not come across any i777 (AT&T S2) that dies on its own. If you wipe or factory reset from CWM with a broken kernel, it'll be bricked. Not otherwise.

The T-Mo T989 has a dual core Scorpion processor and Adreno 220 gpu and a bigger battery. The Exynos cpu and Mali gpu on the i777 are better

Kuduku, the emmc bug only affects custom rom flashing as is the case with the Note. I have not come across any i777 (AT&T S2) that dies on its own. If you wipe or factory reset from CWM with a broken kernel, it'll be bricked. Not otherwise.

The T-Mo T989 has a dual core Scorpion processor and Adreno 220 gpu and a bigger battery. The Exynos cpu and Mali gpu on the i777 are better
Lost 2 S2 i777 . One flashed the firmware before it was widely known about the bug . Second one Full charged in night , morning checked it at 0600 when woke up and at 0730 wanted to make a call and it was boiling hot . Battery was dying real fast from 92% at 0600 to 43% at 0730 .I did not touch it between after 0600 to 0730 . Immediately switched it off and took out the battery . Allowed it to cool down and it never restarted . Tried all known recovery measures but gone . Before you ask I have 2 batteries both original and dock charger also so dead battery is not the cause . Sent it to Indian Samsung center says motherboard change it completely dead and they dont have it , repair can only be done in India . tried to woo them by all means but no headway . It was on Task AOKP 7 july and after that no firmware flashed , no new app install nothing . After burning my hands once i just left it at AOKP . Never tried the unofficial JB also . After bricking one S2 I think atleast I know what i was doing with second one . You might not believe it but it is the truth it died in front of me without me even touching it . it might not be documented but emmc bug was also not and when people started having hard bricks then somebody found this and majorly it was xda user Entophy512 .
Now its your choice to believe this or not but OP should know that this has the emmc bug whose reaction is not completely documented . Samsung refuses to repair it as they cannot do it
Now I have sent it to Samsung USA with help of a forum member for replacement

Lost 2 S2 i777 . One flashed the firmware before it was widely known about the bug . Second one Full charged in night , morning checked it at 0600 when woke up and at 0730 wanted to make a call and it was boiling hot . Battery was dying real fast from 92% at 0600 to 43% at 0730 .I did not touch it between after 0600 to 0730 . Immediately switched it off and took out the battery . Allowed it to cool down and it never restarted . Tried all known recovery measures but gone . Before you ask I have 2 batteries both original and dock charger also so dead battery is not the cause . Sent it to Indian Samsung center says motherboard change it completely dead and they dont have it , repair can only be done in India . tried to woo them by all means but no headway . It was on Task AOKP 7 july and after that no firmware flashed , no new app install nothing . After burning my hands once i just left it at AOKP . Never tried the unofficial JB also . After bricking one S2 I think atleast I know what i was doing with second one . You might not believe it but it is the truth it died in front of me without me even touching it . it might not be documented but emmc bug was also not and when people started having hard bricks then somebody found this and majorly it was xda user Entophy512 .
Now its your choice to believe this or not but OP should know that this has the emmc bug whose reaction is not completely documented . Samsung refuses to repair it as they cannot do it
Now I have sent it to Samsung USA with help of a forum member for replacement

That's unfortunate! But neither of the issues you have documented are related to the emmc bug. When the emmc is bricked, the phone does not die completely but rather gives an error on boot and does not proceed further. In your case, seems to be a faulty board that killed the phone. Good luck with the repairs though :)

Well all my issues are documented in xda post . Like not restarting , no boot menu , no battery charge icon and camera/SIM slot getting hot when mobile put on charge so I am sure its emmc bug only . I didnt touch it only to do something with motherboard . Well no one knows except samsung who is not telling

i was recently in this dilemma too and i thought the Gs2 Skyrocket was an ideal phone for me, but then heard that it doe snot support 3G (am not sure about this) but with a S2 with a larger screen sounds fantastic!

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket i727 vs. Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II - GSMArena.com

From this comparision, Skyrocket misses out in four things, apart from CPU, GPU and Chipset - 900 MHz 3G Network, Pixel density, TV out and Corning Gorilla Glass.

That extra screen real estate can be used better for watching videos right?

Yes....

I have 2XHercules in my family. Hercules is with t-mobile what skyrocket is to at&t.

No problem whatsoever. Only thing missing is FM radio. Not a big thing for me but thought should mention it. Both Hercules/skyrocket dont have it.

I am also looking for a good android phone from ebay. The following are the options I have found for a budget from 175 to 300 dollars android phone. 175+ htc sensation, 200+ LG nitro, htc vivid 16gb, 250+ Samsung s2 variants, galaxy nexus. Maybe prices will fall soon after September's new launches. Any suggestions are welcome

Back