Storage Solutions Which SSD for games storage for around 5-6k?

Point is that buying a specific ssd model from a manufacturer who ships that model with lottery based hardware specs is risky because you never know what you will get. NV2 comes in multiple hardware configurations the worst of which is not even worth considering for the price while the best of it may be even worth more than its price so its pure gamble.
I don't think I was trying to defend the NV2.

For gaming, NVMe vs SATA doesn't matter as much as you might think. Sure, NVMe drives are faster than SATA drives, but the difference in loading times for games is usually negligible. In most cases, you're better off getting the cheapest SSD you can find, whether it's NVMe or SATA.
Mostly true(in some cases updating a large game on a dramless ssd can be quite slow).

I recently bought an EVM 1TB SATA SSD from ssdonly online for 3K, and it works great. It's not the fastest SSD on the market, but it's plenty fast for gaming. I'm able to load my games quickly and without any lag.
Unless 500-600 rupees is a significant increase, BX500 is a better option than EVM which is just cheap Chinese generic oem though still better than consistent/ant esports who don't even publish the tech specs of their ssd models.

For my boot drive, I prefer to use a fast NVMe SSD with DRAM. This will give me the fastest possible boot times and overall system performance. However, it's not necessary for gaming.
Now there are dramless NVMe ssd that can leave behind even dram ssd in many areas.

If you want the most reference source on internet for anything ssd related then just go here:

View attachment 175001

I can also confirm the above, in my desktop with well ventilation the 970 evo plus is always the hottest drive by at least 6-7C even when it is doing almost nothing(disk usage hovers around 1%).

Yes it is more reliable but even there as per NewMaxx outside of very specific usage scenarios(like video editing which rely heavily on sustained sequential read write speeds) WD SN770 is faster & cooler running. WDSN770 is currently the most recommended budget NVMe drive by him.

I personally prefer to always pick Dram SSDs - >https://www.technipages.com/dram-on-an-ssd-is-it-something-you-want/
There's a lot of ifs and buts, but the simple thing is that you can feel the difference with dram ssds. Or atleast I can. If you dont, and are convinced that something else is better inspite of not having a well recognized feature, then you should go for that. I use my devices too much to skimp out on that. And unless theres a more meaningfull advantage for my specific purpose like double TBW in Firecuda 530 for my proxmox server which eats TBW like crazy, I will always pick samsungs purely cause of reliability. Sure a batch with certain firmware had issues in one model, but i've always found them rock solid in so many years of use..

Edit - My second fav is WD for their vertical integration like Samsung. It was a close call between 980 pro and SN850x, before Firecuda 530 came in the mix with price, tbw advantage at near same reliability.

I personally prefer to always pick Dram SSDs - >https://www.technipages.com/dram-on-an-ssd-is-it-something-you-want/
There's a lot of ifs and buts, but the simple thing is that you can feel the difference with dram ssds. Or atleast I can. If you dont, and are convinced that something else is better inspite of not having a well recognized feature, then you should go for that. I use my devices too much to skimp out on that. And unless theres a more meaningfull advantage for my specific purpose like double TBW in Firecuda 530 for my proxmox server which eats TBW like crazy, I will always pick samsungs purely cause of reliability. Sure a batch with certain firmware had issues in one model, but i've always found them rock solid in so many years of use..

Edit - My second fav is WD for their vertical integration like Samsung. It was a close call between 980 pro and SN850x, before Firecuda 530 came in the mix with price, tbw advantage at near same reliability.
Read the techpowerup review of SN770. Dram is not some magic bullet for all ssd performance related issues. It is kind of like how a latest dual core intel pentium can blow a 7th gen core i3 out of water. Latest NAND flash coupled with latest controller having improved algorithm on a dramless ssd(SN770) can match/exceed older gen dram ssd(like 970 evo plus) in almost any area outside of sustained sequential write speeds scenarios which will likely never be encountered by 99% of typical pc users. Also, SN770 has been one of the most solid/reliable ssd in recent times. One more thing, TBW is just fancy marketing so never made the mistake of assuming that because a drive has 2000TBW then it will always be better than a 1000TBW drive in similar capacity. That "feeling" you are talking about is same you will get while using SN770(again, read the TPU review). It's unfortunate that SN770 still commands so much premium here when in US it is a clear winner below only top of the line gen 4 models like 850x.

Read the techpowerup review of SN770. Dram is not some magic bullet for all ssd performance related issues. It is kind of like how a latest dual core intel pentium can blow a 7th gen core i3 out of water. Latest NAND flash coupled with latest controller having improved algorithm on a dramless ssd(SN770) can match/exceed older gen dram ssd(like 970 evo plus) in almost any area outside of sustained sequential write speeds scenarios which will likely never be encountered by 99% of typical pc users. Also, SN770 has been one of the most solid/reliable ssd in recent times. One more thing, TBW is just fancy marketing so never made the mistake of assuming that because a drive has 2000TBW then it will always be better than a 1000TBW drive in similar capacity. That "feeling" you are talking about is same you will get while using SN770(again, read the TPU review). It's unfortunate that SN770 still commands so much premium here when in US it is a clear winner below only top of the line gen 4 models like 850x.
TBW is the brand's guarantee that it will work to that limit. I assume a Seagate or WD or Samsung wouldnt claim a number just for the heck of it. And if they were sure it would last more they would claim more. Proxmox is really heavy on the writes. Their forum reccomends enterprise drives which have 4-5 times TBW and have PLP, but my data would be backed up dailly locally and the cloud, so I dont care that much, its just a VFM thing. Lets say in 3 similar drives, this ticked all the boxes. Same performance, lower price, 2x tbw. What's there to not like.

As for Dram, let me end by saying this -
I get what you're saying.
Do I need another pair of hands? No.
Is not having another set of hands stopping me from doing what I want? No.
Will I still take an extra pair of hands if I can get them and they're in my budget? Hell yes.

If you like that model, then go for it man. I can pay a little extra for critical stuff. And for stuff thats not critical, i can use the most basic stuff too. I am not contesting that its a good drive. Now that you pushed it so much , I might even consider it if there is a good discount and I need one. Im just saying I have a particular order of preference dictated by how NAND actually works, no amount of hacking your way with the controller will change the basic physics of NAND. But sure the newer tech will compensate with other better things.

TBW is the brand's guarantee that it will work to that limit. I assume a Seagate or WD or Samsung wouldnt claim a number just for the heck of it. And if they were sure it would last more they would claim more.
Warranty*, not guarantee.

Warranties are given based on the statistical probability that X units will fail before that point and require Y cost to replace, and if Y is greater than the cost of increasing endurance, you increase endurance instead of providing a lower TBW warranty.

Corollary, if you claim more, you increase the statistical probability of units failing before that and the cost of replacements goes up. Realistically, drives can and do last for multiple times the endurance rating.

Last edited:
Warranty*, not guarantee.

Warranties are given based on the statistical probability that X units will fail before that point and require Y cost to replace, and if Y is greater than the cost of increasing endurance, you increase endurance instead of providing a lower TBW warranty.

Corollary, if you claim more, you increase the statistical probability of units failing before that and the cost of replacements goes up. Realistically, drives can and do last for multiple times the endurance rating.
Yes I agree. I meant guarantee in a manner of saying. Obviously its warranty and they will replace, and it ends in 5yrs or exceeding tbw, whatever happens first. But replacement procedures in india generally look at just the 5yrs. Which is even better, since I can use more and still claim warranty. Another reason why I didnt spend 3x for enterprise drive.
Finally did check the review, and the drive is really as good as you say. But pricing is more. IF you were getting this you'd spend 1k mroe and get the 850x right?

Finally did check the review, and the drive is really as good as you say. But pricing is more. IF you were getting this you'd spend 1k mroe and get the 850x right?
Yes I would but the thing is, luckily the SN770 1TB finally went for the sale price of 5k in last fk/amzn freedom sale for the first time since its launch in India & I immediately ordered it(fk as usual glitched) from amazon just after 2 min of sale starting(12:02pm) for effective price of around 4.5k. :D

P.S. This price is just a bit more than SN770 1TB price on US amazon currently which is $50.

P.P.S. Just kidding but I am thankful that this ssd is not as well known as crucial MX500 else I would have likely missed this deal as stock would have been finished in few minutes. :D

Last edited:
Isn't the SN770 1TB ₹5,169 even now on FK ?
this one,, right ?

Capture_2023-08-10_201754.jpg

My laptop runs hotter at 95c, and my laptop have pcie gen3 support only, then which ssd to buy? I am thinking about moving my os to new drive as my current ssd’s health is at 80%. I think sn570 will be the best bang for buck ssd for me.

My laptop runs hotter at 95c, and my laptop have pcie gen3 support only, then which ssd to buy? I am thinking about moving my os to new drive as my current ssd’s health is at 80%. I think sn570 will be the best bang for buck ssd for me.
970 evo plus or SN770 whatever you find cheapest. PCIE version only matters for top speed. Rest random read/wrote/ iops etc remain the same since these are not speed intensive but rather latency & ssd controller sensitive. So newer SSDs will give you those. Also if you used 80% of your OLD ssd, the usage is high, you could get a firecuda 530 too. TBW is double.

Last edited:
Back