PC Peripherals Which wi-fi router do i go for.

Deepak

Skilled
Hey fellas

I need a good+cheap wi-fi router to use across in a single apartment (not much range required, 2 walls and some 5-6 metres)

So what do I get, stability is a major requirement as the router will be up 24x7.

Would like some suggestions regarding the cheapest possible wifi router I can get in that range.

Oh BTW, at least port forwarding option should be there.

TIA

Deepak

For super stability you can do better than Buffalo g54s. Great range and rock solid. And at 2.2k well priced for what it delivers.

i have got linksys WRT45G a few days back and wifi works flawlessly everywhere in my house, actually even outside of the house lol .....

connectivity is good and till date haven't seen it disconnecting automatically .... but file transfer rates are very slow ......

and at 2.5k its pretty cheap too :)

Oops, that should be 'For super stability you can't do better than Buffalo g54s'. I have tried the wrt54g in my setup before I bought Buffalo, and I can confirm G54S has better range that the Linksys model.

I think at the moment Buffalo is really delivering better products at decent prices and while before we didn't have an option to get Buffalo and could only read about our US friends getting all the goodies now its widely available and we should take advantage of a superior product.

***OT***
raul said:
I think at the moment Buffalo is really delivering better products at decent prices and while before we didn't have an option to get Buffalo and could only read about our US friends getting all the goodies now its widely available and we should take advantage of a superior product.

Thats because, they are not supposed to sell wireless products in US due to a pending patent related case. So they are concentrating on other markets. But anyways, we ppl should be happy :)

raul said:
Oops, that should be 'For super stability you can't do better than Buffalo g54s'. I have tried the wrt54g in my setup before I bought Buffalo, and I can confirm G54S has better range that the Linksys model.

also you can flash the buffalo to a tomato frmware and increase the range and get better options :eek:hyeah:

get the buffalo.. got one a month back and am damn happy. good range across my house despite the fact that my house has 8 inch thick walls an iv placed the router at one end an it works at the other. paid 2050 for it from np.

rohit84 said:
is it public hotspot compatible

Any Wi-Fi Access Point can serve as a public hotspot ! Yes, that includes all the models above.

I wouldn't really recommend the Netgear WGR614 either, the firmware does seem a bit 'unfinished'. Although personally since the initial hiccups I've had with it, its delivered more than a year of almost flawless performance and i'm satisfied with it (got rid of the wi-fi ghosts i guess?!).

BUT considering how close the Buffalo is in price, as well as the replacement type warranty (i.e. no hassles of giving it in for service/repair), its a no brainer to get the Buffalo :)

raul said:
For super stability you can do better than Buffalo g54s. Great range and rock solid. And at 2.2k well priced for what it delivers.

I agree - Buffalo g54s is the one indeed !!
Bought one 3 weeks back and totally satisfied with it.

I have a Buffalo G54s bought a month back, but having some real problems with it...it starts flashing the red light after 4-5 hrs of use randomly and the net goes down.

ANy idea why this happens guys?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but now that the WHR-G54S is discontinued and availability is almost gone, what would be the next highest recommended wifi router? The Buffalo replacement WHR-G125S? Linksys?

Back