Which wifi router cum modem

mk151

Adept
Hello

I have BSNL broadband . Wish to get a WIFI router with built in modem. What is the best buy.

Also, I have heard that a wifi router when coupled with separate ADSL modem , provided by BSNL, requires a lot of configuration. Will the router+modem would also require such configuration or will it be plug n play.

Thanks

some config will be required. it took me a days worth of playing around ( and two network engineer friends of mine :ashamed: ) to figure it out

it works flawlessly now though

i have a Linksys WRT54G :)

Im using a 3COM 3CRWDR101A-75 (phew quite a name) Working flawlessly. Not sure about the availability here though.
Not as stylish as the linksys tho ~ ~ but it has never rebooted or restarted on its own. EVER!

i am using Linksys WAG200G.

Wifi router with builtin ADSL modem.

works flowlessly with BSNL, no problems till date. Connects much faster than crappy Huawei BSNL provides.

Just a little configuration of 15/20 minutes required if you have some knowledge of settings, otherwise it may take little longer.

medpal said:

works flowlessly with BSNL, no problems till date. Connects much faster than crappy Huawei BSNL provides.

Just a little configuration of 15/20 minutes required if you have some knowledge of settings, otherwise it may take little longer.

Will this work mtnl adsl broadband???

And what settings do we have to edit, do you have any link where i can learn all this.

My friend is going to take an mtnl connection and i might have to do all the configuration work.

The WAG200G should work with any ADSL service provider. It's a pretty decent modem-router. Good range and quite stable too. A pretty good deal for around 4k.

This page is very helpful espcially if you have an adsl modem given by bsnl and plan to buy a separate wifi router.

BROADBAND MAIN MENU

And i guess you can get a general idea about the settings required for a BSNL connection...

medpal said:

Thanks for the post. Thats really helpful. I have the same Linksys router and I am looking forward to have the BSNL Dataone line. One small doubt...in the router we have the 'Line' socket, will the standard telephone jack go in that socket or do I need to buy any special jack for that. Looking forward to your reply...

nope you dont need any special socket to link modem to phone line.

only thing you need is a filter or splitter which separates the voice and data signals from where you give one cable to your phone and one cable to your modem (these are normal phone line cables).

from modem to your PC there is lan cable connectivity.

Am using a D-Link DSL-G604t Wireless ADSL Router. After upgrading firmware , it's giving quite good perf.

You can look into it if u have a hybrid setup. 4 ethernet ports, wifi and ADSL modem. Setup is also a breeze with the inbuilt wizard.

medpal said:
nope you dont need any special socket to link modem to phone line.

only thing you need is a filter or splitter which separates the voice and data signals from where you give one cable to your phone and one cable to your modem (these are normal phone line cables).

from modem to your PC there is lan cable connectivity.
Great! Thanks!! But seems like the line socket in the Modem is RJ45 compatible while the standard phone cable has RJ11 socket. What I man to say is the standard RJ11 (phone cable) socket has 2 copper wires but the Line jack in the Modem has 8 copper wires. Again, the phone socket somehow fits there also. Should it work...????

Hi
I bought a linksys wag200g and have been trying to configure BSNL broadband connection. With the wizard in CD, i couldn't connect. Can someone please help me with the setting?

Thanks,
Qrio

LOL, i have got wifi router from bsnl... Me too played with the configuration for 1 day.. but it was damn easy to get configured :D

try the BSNL wifi router.. it is good, also it has nice range approx ~30-40 feet.

qrio said:
Hi
I bought a linksys wag200g and have been trying to configure BSNL broadband connection. With the wizard in CD, i couldn't connect. Can someone please help me with the setting?

Thanks,
Qrio

you dont need to put or install anything for this modem to setup.

firstly connect the wires to and from router (phone line and lan cable).
secondly boot up the system.
launch the browser
type 192.168.1.1
put in id and password (default are admin and admin respectively)
now first screen will be summary.

Now if you know the DNS servers, your broadband id and password you need to fill it in at respective places.

enable hdcp if you plan a home network

enable wireless security and mac filtering.

reboot and voila you should be ready to go.

still if you find problems do update here.

Back