Which wireless router? - Asus vs Belkin?

kidrow

Adept
Hi,

I've absolutely no idea about these things, so please bear that in mind when you do make suggestions. Also I want to keep the spending to a minimum, & not waste on unnecessary [read, the ones which won't be useful to me] features. The max I'd want to stretch to is 1.5k.

I'm currently using a D-link GLB 502t wired modem/router with Mtnl broadband [Mumbai]. Just want to connect my laptop to the internet & have both the laptop & desktop connect to the net simultaneously. Requirements mainly include surfing, downloading [torrents] & sharing files between the PC & laptop. [Would also like to do 3d rendering by sharing the two, but not too sure if that is relevant here]

The wired modem sits at one end of the house, with the other farthest end being about 40-45 feet away with about 4 walls in between. So I'd like to connect at that end as well, if possible within the budget.

The cheapest ones I came across on ebay are - [There is also Edimax, but a quick google didn't turn up any confidence-inspiring results]

eBay India: NEW MODEL BELKIN WIRELESS G BROADBAND ROUTER 54MBPS (item 300492333111 end time 17-Nov-2010 16:43:35 IST)

eBay India: ASUS Broadband Wireless Router RT-G32 WiFi WAN 54Mbps (item 200542906191 end time 18-Nov-2010 18:30:00 IST)

Are either of these good enough? Or should I look for something else entirely? Please advice. Thank you. Much appreciated.

4 walls in between? Not ideal for a "G" type router.

Consider Buffalo routers as well. They are pretty stable and give good range as well...

Belkin are VFM, but not as reliable as Asus. I had same Belkin model,

but it did not work properly after 3 months usage. And I also did

not have time to get it serviced. Anyway it was bought sub-1K then.

I suppose for your requirement, it is better to go for better routers if your budget permits.

Thanks for your replies. I guess it's the Asus then, given that at least two members have had a bad experience with Belkin.

@fahrenheit - Wouldn't an N router be above my budget? Also, from what I understand the N standard's main benefit of being able to talk at a different frequency [5ghz?] {& therefore less interference} would come through if paired with other N devices. So would I then have to ensure that the laptop as well as the wired modem is of the N standard, or is it only the laptop that matters?

Wrt the Asus, would there be any issues connecting it to the D-link, given that it's a different brand? Should I look for a D-link to ensure compatibility?

Thanks. Much appreciated.

^
No problem with compatibility of modem of any brand.

Regarding N standard, you just need the wireless devices (like laptop etc.) to be of N standard as well. Your modem has nothing to do with the wireless thingy whatsoever. If you want N router, get the Asus N13U which comes for 3k. It has many features like torrent download on router with computer turned off, 3G modem compatibility etc. N routers work upto 300mbps against 54mbps of G routers, so you get much more speed while transferring media within home network. Since the cost is about double than that of your budget, only get one if you really plan to use these features. Else for normal internet usage, you should be good with a G router.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. The price difference is not worth the additional features, for me. But I've come across this one within my budget -

ASUS RT-N10 EZ N DSL Wireless Wi-Fi Router

It's pretty confusing because it states a speed of 150Mbps, but operates at 2.4-2.5ghz. Is it an N standard device? & does it hold any advantage over the other two?

kidrow said:
Okay, thanks for clarifying. The price difference is not worth the additional features, for me. But I've come across this one within my budget -

ASUS RT-N10 EZ N DSL Wireless Wi-Fi Router

It's pretty confusing because it states a speed of 150Mbps, but operates at 2.4-2.5ghz. Is it an N standard device? & does it hold any advantage over the other two?
When it comes to dual band routers, there are two types one is the normal dual band and the other is simultaneous dual band wherein the former can operate only in 2.4ghz or 5 ghz at a time but the later can operate in both the frequencies simultaneousy. According to the link given by you, this is a normal dual band router which cant operate simultaneously in 2.4 and 5 ghz speeds.... Hope i made it clear...

go for the Netgear Wireless G Router WGR614v10

using one myself in ~2500ft home...3 walls away and still full signal strength

very simple to use...i bought one for 1300 from SP Road...

TY for your replies. My laptop seems to have an N type card. Here's what the spec sheet says - "internal WLAN Mini-Card with WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n, and Bluetooth® wireless technology". So would the Asus 150 Mbps router - ASUS RT-N10 EZ N DSL Wireless Wi-Fi Router - be more beneficial in terms of penetration &/or speed?

Or is it that the 150Mbps type routers are way of fooling customers into buying a more expensive product without any real benefit? [cos I didn't get where it stands exactly - it's not a 'proper' N is all I could gather]

^
I'm not very sure about this, but buying a N150 router is pretty much a waste is what I got to understand from the limited knowledge I gathered while researching on the router for myself a week back. It's not a standard. N standard is proper 300mbps and G standard is 54mbps. Manufacturers have come up with their own thing as a marketing gimmick advertising it as N standard 150mbps router.

Please Refer this. How To Buy a Wireless Router: The Short Version - Speed, Choose Type, Products - SmallNetBuilder

Dont know whether the above is a draft certified or not. I think if it is draft certified it will give atleast a speed of 7 - 10 MB/s , but m not sure. But i think you wont notice a big difference. So if you are very serious about the range and file transfer speed then you have to invest in high end N certified routers which retail more for than 5k..

kidrow said:
Hi,

I've absolutely no idea about these things, so please bear that in mind when you do make suggestions. Also I want to keep the spending to a minimum, & not waste on unnecessary [read, the ones which won't be useful to me] features. The max I'd want to stretch to is 1.5k.

I'm currently using a D-link GLB 502t wired modem/router with Mtnl broadband [Mumbai]. Just want to connect my laptop to the internet & have both the laptop & desktop connect to the net simultaneously. Requirements mainly include surfing, downloading [torrents] & sharing files between the PC & laptop. [Would also like to do 3d rendering by sharing the two, but not too sure if that is relevant here]

The wired modem sits at one end of the house, with the other farthest end being about 40-45 feet away with about 4 walls in between. So I'd like to connect at that end as well, if possible within the budget.

The cheapest ones I came across on ebay are - [There is also Edimax, but a quick google didn't turn up any confidence-inspiring results]

eBay India: NEW MODEL BELKIN WIRELESS G BROADBAND ROUTER 54MBPS (item 300492333111 end time 17-Nov-2010 16:43:35 IST)

eBay India: ASUS Broadband Wireless Router RT-G32 WiFi WAN 54Mbps (item 200542906191 end time 18-Nov-2010 18:30:00 IST)

Are either of these good enough? Or should I look for something else entirely? Please advice. Thank you. Much appreciated.
Stay away from G routers

If you want belkin N then get this model F5D8236sa4 which retails around Rs.2800/-

Advantage is they have Lifetime warranty.

I am having that particular model and it is reliable.

arun687 said:
^
I'm not very sure about this, but buying a N150 router is pretty much a waste is what I got to understand from the limited knowledge I gathered while researching on the router for myself a week back. It's not a standard. N standard is proper 300mbps and G standard is 54mbps. Manufacturers have come up with their own thing as a marketing gimmick advertising it as N standard 150mbps router.

Please Refer this. How To Buy a Wireless Router: The Short Version - Speed, Choose Type, Products - SmallNetBuilder
+ 1 for this , go for a G router or N300 router. no point wasting money in N150

Thanks for your replies guys. Won't the 150mbps hold any advantage over G whatsoever? Cos the Belkin G is available at Croma for 1300. So it means I can just walk in & buy, no waiting for the delivery. Or I could order the Asus 150 or even the Buffalo 150 from mediahome for 1500 shipped. So the price difference is just 200. I'm thinking there must be some advantage - enough to justify spending 200 more. Or there really isn't - even for that less a price difference. Thanks.

Back