Which wireless router to buy?

talsilo

Disciple
friends, i am a n00b when it comes to wifi. so pls. help!

Current setup: Have a comp connected to MTNL ADSL router (D-link). Have a laptop, and planning to buy Xtreamer or WDTV live.

Need: 1. Want to access the internet wireless from the laptop
2. Want to transfer files from Desktop to WDTV's hard disk wirelessly.

Question: 1. What all do I need? I presume a wireless router than can be connected to the desktop by wire (CAT5?).
2. Once I get this router, can I ditch the MTNL router? Or do I still need it?
3. Which router to buy? And differences in features in the various models.

Thanks!

I am also planning to buy one 802.11n WiFi Router with bult-in ADSL2 modem for my airtel broadband connection.

Any suggestions guys ?

Well you are going to need the router.

You have following two plans:

• One device ( ADSL Router + Wireless)
  • Two device (ADSL router) , Wireless Router

Now in case of first one, if the router dies, the wireless is of no use. However in case of later, you can always replace the one thats faulty.

The former is considerably expensive, few choices, while in case of later you got plenty of choices from very cheap to very expensive ones.

So if you wish to just buy a wifi router go for Buffalo/ Linksys.

+LT

If other hardware support N protocol, go for the Linksys WRT160N ... internal xfer speed of files will increase .... else go for the cheap old reliable uncle WRT54G .... If the MTNL router is ADSL you will have to keep it ..... else if you want to remove the MTNL router ... go for ADSL wireless router like Linksys WAG200G .... basic features are same in all routers ..... you will hardly use the advance configuration pages.

mgdelhi said:
I am also planning to buy one 802.11n WiFi Router with bult-in ADSL2 modem for my airtel broadband connection.

Any suggestions guys ?

You can try Linksys WAG120N ADSL 2+ Wireless-N Router .... quite good and robust.

Konquerror said:
Go for a 802.11 n router...n routers can have a maximum speed of 130mbps while it's capped to 54mbps for g routers.

@OP but make sure you have the wifi-draft n capable devices, else these routers are of no good use compared to there "g" counter parts.

+LT

talsilo said:
friends, i am a n00b when it comes to wifi. so pls. help!

Current setup: Have a comp connected to MTNL ADSL router (D-link). Have a laptop, and planning to buy Xtreamer or WDTV live.

Need: 1. Want to access the internet wireless from the laptop
2. Want to transfer files from Desktop to WDTV's hard disk wirelessly.

Question: 1. What all do I need? I presume a wireless router than can be connected to the desktop by wire (CAT5?).
2. Once I get this router, can I ditch the MTNL router? Or do I still need it?
3. Which router to buy? And differences in features in the various models.

Thanks!

call me a miser but I would suggest go for a wifi router (there are some which have a wifi router with asdl bundled - I would say its convenient but if the free MTNL router is working let it be). If you don't have wireless n devices like laptop and n-card for wdtv and still have wireless G components - buy a dlink DIR 300. Its a simple plug and play router - I have been using it for the last 2 months - has great reach over a 2 bhk (from one corner where its installed) to even a huge dry terrace outside, works well with torrents and does not hang. Its difficult to install custom firmware on it - but I would say the OEM fw is fine.

In case you want to download torrents without you comp etc turned on (I have my PC on 24/7) - i would say go for the Asus wl 520 GU - custom FW will enable it to download torrents 24/7 without the intervention of PC at all times.

thanks for all the help friends!

for me, 'only router' is the way to go. Since the Xtreamer supports 802.11n, I suppose n series is the way. And i presume all the g devices will also work on n.

which is the cheapest and robust n series router? As per Lynx website, WRT160NL N is 5775, which is beyond my budget of around 2.5K.

How good is WRT120N? its price at Lynx is 2809. Or any other models in Netgear, Belkin, etc?

Thanks once again!

Back