White screen in Starship Troopers

jai

Disciple
Just downloaded the Starship Troopers Demo from nZone. It installed successfully and the first time, even ran successfully. I was able to play some part of the level.

Some time later (maybe a day or so), I started playing it again. The initial movies come out OK, but from the main screen onwards everything is white. I can see the menu and when I start a new game the screen turns up white. I can hear all sounds like footsteps, other voices, gunshots including my own etc, but nothing on screen. Just white. I tried changing the resolution, reducing the detail, blah blah but nothing works.

I have neither installed any new thing nor uninstalled any existing thing. I have not updated the drivers (using 81.84 currently). All other games are playing just fine.

What could be the reason? Anyone else facing this problem?

Config: AMD64 3000+, ASUS K8NE-Dlx, 1GB Hynix PC3200, XFX 6600GT

But that doesn't explain why the same game was running perfectly well on the same set of drivers. Anyway, I will update to the latest WHQL drivers and see if it makes any difference.

71.89, 77.77 and now looks like even 81.84 have this issue - random blackouts most commonly in doom3 and quake4.
Game is still running, sound works and if fraps is running it will show your framerate as well, but the entire screen will be black. Issuing a vid_restart fixes it instantly.

No way to do a vid_restart in every game though, so get the 81.85 whql, these fix the issue for good.

Back