who needs a conroe

pastrykunal

Disciple
as the topic says, whats the big advantage about upgrading to conroe, now that the processor and the mobo's are so expensive.

How much of a big difference does it make to most people in things besides super pi and 3dmarks.

when the entry level chip actually sells for and entry level price then i think its worth it.

Why now. how does a <1 minute super pi score benefit you.

as an earlier topic pointed out where does the need stop and the need begin.

what are your thoughts?

Right now, I guess it'll only give you bragging rights. Mainly it'll help in the benchmarks, like super-Pi etc. Apart from that, it'll also provide some boost for media encoding and similar stuff, but not enough to justify the high cost. At least thats what I feel :p

IF I were thinking of upgrading my desktop (which I am not), I'd have waited for a couple of months for the initial hype, and the accompanying hiked prices to go down to saner levels.

As for noticeable improvements, I can vouch for the fact that a Yonah feels snappier in general tasks, and makes more than a perceptible difference on Video encoding compared to a Dothan... So I suppose the degree of difference between a Merom (An enhanced Yonah) and the AMD64 platform should be equally if not more perceptible...

Since I don't game much, can't really comment on that aspect though...

SC said:
IF I were thinking of upgrading my desktop (which I am not), I'd have waited for a couple of months for the initial hype, and the accompanying hiked prices to go down to saner levels.

eggzactly :D Once the dust settles down, (hopfully in a few months), then there would be no sane reason not to go for a conroe. :p

eggzactly Once the dust settles down, (hopfully in a few months), then there would be no sane reason not to go for a conroe.

if the moolah is available then that is :p but computer enthusiasts dont need a reason as such to upgrade they just get the fastest thing out there..this is like asking a fellow who collects art or vintage cars why he does it :S ..compared to things like that upgrades are very justifyable :eek:hyeah:

pastrykunal said:
how much boost in frame rates more than 60 fps makes it a worthwhile boost?

With a high end card, most games are cpu limited. Makes a lot of sense to go for a good cpu in that case.

LOL its funny. Some thread like this is always created when new product is launch.

Same thing happened when some people jumped on to Venice and X2s and opties :p

Its simple more is always better. And at the moment for once i am enjoying smooth gameplay even in games like oblivion which struggled even on high end cards before.

I use my PC for productive work too. Those who have visited me knows amount of encoding of medical video happens on my pc daily. E6600 has shortened the movie encoding times by considerable margin for me. And there every minute counts.

Early adopters in many case have advantage. The prices of processors are not that high. Its the mobo market that needs to settle down. once that happens same people will be saying who needs A64 or X2s :p

And ya, 60 FPS = smooth gameplay is biiiiig myth

pastrykunal said:
as the topic says, whats the big advantage about upgrading to conroe, now that the processor and the mobo's are so expensive.
How much of a big difference does it make to most people in things besides super pi and 3dmarks.
when the entry level chip actually sells for and entry level price then i think its worth it.
Why now. how does a <1 minute super pi score benefit you.
as an earlier topic pointed out where does the need stop and the need begin.
what are your thoughts?
Intel's C2D is the best piece of silicon to emerge in the last 2 years of cpu onslaught on the consumer. it will be the foundation of intel's future cpu's for another 2 years atleast when new process technology will be introduced where the entry level speeds will be > 5GHz.
RE: price / performance ratio and performance difference between amd cpu's and C2D cores. well we do not have any data on it since none on TE has made a comparitive study of the same.but clock for clock ...meaning both the cpu's running at the same speed and rest of the components being the same (gfx card , HDD etc) imho the c2d should be about upto 30% faster in Raw processor performance but in real life applications like games it should be around 15% better. please note i may be wrong and only when some real results from TE members start pouring in we can come to a definite conclusion. many intl forum / sites must have done a comparative study on it you can refer to some of them.
imho, if one was building a new system from scratch and money / budget is not an issue then one should opt for C2D.
However if one already has a good amd rig and is happy with its performance, coupled with a tight budget (as i am perpetually !!!:( ) then he / she should wait until better steppings of the cpu and fully debugged m/b's + bios are released at a reasonable price before migrating.
in conclusion: if one has ample cash reserves and enjoys technology, o/c'ing or comparing their E-Penis (castrated or otherwise) and love to run tests / benchies atleast 10 hours out of the 16 waking hours then you should not be reading this but should be out buying the parts to run C2D.:eek:hyeah: (this applies to every new "big thing" in pc sector btw not restricted to C2D)
on the other hand you want to buy C2D just because you are seeing those good figures and are deeply influenced by it then my suggestion is Wait. Dont rush. unless you are in a super pi benchie race / competition , for which you will have to pay a very high price eventually both monetary and happiness wise.

Chaos said:
^^Monster boost in game framerates compared to AMD64. Thats the reason to get it hehe.

yeah baby :eek:hyeah: smokin :p
kunal its all about the show mayte... plus it does benefit in nearly all apps and some by a huge margin...
^^ agree with funky on 60 fps being seventh heaven, that's a POS bit of info IMNHO...

True...Conroe is one processor which is not just about brags...serious perfomance boost in critical apps...Also it does it with lesser power and heat. The best thing that happened in the cpu arena in a long time...

But I guess Il updrade only when quad cores are out...

Got the opty 170 just 4 months back...huh

Back