Storage Solutions Who needs SSD when you have this ?

@supra, you realize this still doesn't have the one thing that really sets SSDs apart?

PS - This drive is on newegg for the same price as one with 2TB of storage :eek:

^^ Ya I do know but I can wait for 2 sec more for my Firefox to launch. I am not the new Impatient Ones Generation :p and working on mission critical apps which will get affected with a 2s delay and will take the more storage rather than 60GB of SSD at 10k which can fail anytime and worry about too many write cycles and other shit like firmware upgrades etc ! I had a Corsair Force 60GB for a week and hated it :mad:

As of price...a 1TB HDD costs Rs 2800~2850 in India whereas a 2TB costs Rs 3950. A 1TB HDD usually costs 59$ in newegg and this has a 5$ premium which should also fade in 1-2 weeks. In India since Hitachi is not so popular and the current 2 platter 1TB model retails for around 2700 or so...so this may set in at the same price as well.Also this should be much better than a Caviar Black 1TB which gets super hot and costs almost 80$(Rs 4200 in India).

Why exactly did you hate your corsair?

Are you saying that HDDs these days are NOT as unreliable as some of the Sandforce based SSDs (That was just them, most other chips have impeccable reliability records). Also, there are pretty much NO SSDs out there which force a user to think about write cycles. You are over-thinking things if that is a concern for you.

i love my force 40 and will probably upgrade to a 60gb gt soon. or maybe an m4, that's really cheap these days.

Why exactly did you hate your corsair?

Corrupt data...what else :p...we all dont have the luxury of staying abroad and having clean power and no power cuts.In last 3 hours power has gone and come back 25 times :mad:. 2-3 sudden cuts and no UPS(was replacing the battery for my APC) is what made the SSD kaput ! SSDs are fast no doubt , but the tech is still evolving and still has quite a lot of quirk which are getting sorted out ! Failure rates and controllers still have issues. Dont know why its taking so long to perfect a technology even when the pricing is so so high !

damn, so a power cut and poof! data gone? i actually had a 7200.12 fail when the power was out all day, i was out, and my inverter completely drained the battery. probably low voltage or something, drive just stopped reading after a day. data recovery guy was able to reflash the firmware or something and i got my data back, and got the drive changed in warranty. but experience has taught me that the first thing to go in a computer system due to power issues is the hdd. guess ssds are no different.

Supra said:
Corrupt data...what else :p...we all dont have the luxury of staying abroad and having clean power and no power cuts.In last 3 hours power has gone and come back 25 times :mad:. 2-3 sudden cuts and no UPS(was replacing the battery for my APC) is what made the SSD kaput ! SSDs are fast no doubt , but the tech is still evolving and still has quite a lot of quirk which are getting sorted out ! Failure rates and controllers still have issues. Dont know why its taking so long to perfect a technology even when the pricing is so so high !

Get a working UPS. Stop blaming SSDs for that :p
Power issues can affect all kinds of electronics. Not just SSDs.

At present HDDs can't match random read & write speeds of SSD, which really sets apart SSD & is main reason for performance gains observed in SSD.

To each his own. I guess it would have been better had the title not mentioned the word 'SSD'.

For those who can't wait a few seconds for the PC to boot up, go get an SSD.

For people like me who are patient enough to wait for a few seconds more, this is for them.

All the more reason to go for an Hitachi drive. WD have been on and off with their reliability and Seagate just reduced their warranty to 2 years. :(

So only Hitachi is the good one left with warranty and reliability.

It's not just at boot that the speed gains of an ssd are evident. during any operation, the ultra-fast access times to show in the form of lightning fast application/save load etc. It's just that in terms of raw transfer rates, the last generation of ssds (sf 1200 series) are a bit too close to fast hdds to show much difference. guess the story is different with the current gen ssds like the m4 and the vertex/force 3 series.

Back