CPU/Mobo Why are there different gaps in between the slots of RAM modules ?

Slayer88

Adept
Hi all,

Have any of you also noticed this? As someone who like symmetry, my OCD kicks in. The below is not my PC but mine has a similar issue. I was able to improve the gaps by swapping modules left to right etc but it still isn't 100% symmetrical.

IMG_20230920_155239.jpg

Does this annoy any of you folks too?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Might be a case with your mobo, I haven't observed it on mine but I don't have 4 sticks. Mobo manufacturer might have decided to put a gap between channel A & B on a whim.

Might be a case with your mobo, I haven't observed it on mine but I don't have 4 sticks. Mobo manufacturer might have decided to put a gap between channel A & B on a whim.
The slots look to be symmetrical, just the heatsinks appear to have small margins of error. Also, see pic, from Reddit, the gaps between module 1&2 and 2&3 and 3&4 are all different
Present in mine too. Didn't bother to try switching them, though.

View attachment 178470
No mate, I was more talking about when all 4 slots are populated.

Can't say from your image, but I thought it could be the same issue - Are your modules 1&2 and 3&4 leaned towards each other like mine are?
I guess you have a point, if they are spaced exactly but the top portion tilt/lean to each other to different extents, it could cause the issue in question.

Sufficient gap is maintained in fact required for heat dissipation and circuitory design and its nothing to do with aesthetics else no gap means closed placing circuitry near to each other resulting in shortenings and frying of components.

Later on the dual/triple channel design placement made for 2/3 tiny and one major gap such as AB and CD or ABC and DEF.
Even if you memory got a heatsink a tiny gap always helps for those contraction/expansion scenarios which is inevitable.

These gaps should be ignored and its not an issue or a design fault.

Sufficient gap is maintained in fact required for heat dissipation and circuitory design and its nothing to do with aesthetics else no gap means closed placing circuitry near to each other resulting in shortenings and frying of components.

Later on the dual/triple channel design placement made for 2/3 tiny and one major gap such as AB and CD or ABC and DEF.
Even if you memory got a heatsink a tiny gap always helps for those contraction/expansion scenarios which is inevitable.

These gaps should be ignored and its not an issue or a design fault.
I think you have missed my point. Adding a picture to explain/clarify. See the gaps, they are 3 different sizes. That is my concern, not the fact that there are gaps.
IMG_20230921_125807.jpg

I think you have missed my point. Adding a picture to explain/clarify. See the gaps, they are 3 different sizes. That is my concern, not the fact that there are gaps.
View attachment 178515
I already got the power point. I'm not at all amazed. You can try fit and fine your rams accurately but I doubt they will hold on to the same position.
Wonder why you even bothered about it?
You can write to the mobo. brand so they can come up with a rev.2/3 ver fixing the issue but its not even an issue.

I have observed such minor diff. installing raids setups, arrays, fans etc. but as far as its installed perfectly and functioning as its supposed to nobody cares on aesthetics.

Same goes for automobiles too if you ever try to install few stuff, stuff wont fit in exactly the way we want them to look..19-20 diff is a common play..

Back