Storage Solutions Why different brand of NVMe SSDs have different temperature (+10c)?

prime

Skilled
I have 2 500GB NVMe SSDs, both installed on the motherboard (ASUS Prime H610M-E D4).

There is a difference of 10 degree celsius of both drive. Please see the attached screenshot. I got Kingston SSD today only.

1. WD SSD (34c) boot drive

2. Kingston SSD (44c)

These temperatures are at idle. No gaming, no graphics card. PC is used just for browsing / MS Office.

I got this Kingston SSD for important data backup. My primary data drive is 2TB 2.5" SSD (showing "D:" in screenshot running at 32c). Kingston temperature reached 60c when I copying data. So I stopped and copied data in batches of 20-25GB.

Two Deepcool 1500 RPM fans at front running at full speed (for trial, else they are noisy and I make then run at lower speed, then temperature increase 5-6c of both SSDs).

What is wrong with Kingston SSD?

Attachments

• Screenshot (145).png
    Screenshot (145).png
    44.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot (146).png
    Screenshot (146).png
    42.8 KB · Views: 62
I have 2 500GB NVMe SSDs, both installed on the motherboard (ASUS Prime H610M-E D4).

There is a difference of 10 degree celsius of both drive. Please see the attached screenshot. I got Kingston SSD today only.

1. WD SSD (34c) boot drive

2. Kingston SSD (44c)

These temperatures are at idle. No gaming, no graphics card. PC is used just for browsing / MS Office.

I got this Kingston SSD for important data backup. My primary data drive is 2TB 2.5" SSD (showing "D:" in screenshot running at 32c). Kingston temperature reached 60c when I copying data. So I stopped and copied data in batches of 20-25GB.

Two Deepcool 1500 RPM fans at front running at full speed (for trial, else they are noisy and I make then run at lower speed, then temperature increase 5-6c of both SSDs).

What is wrong with Kingston SSD?
heatsink!

Many factors come into play.
Diff. manufacturers, pcb, drive performance, drive placement inside cabinet, direct heat pass through wrt ambient temps inside + air circulation impact etc. factors.

I have 3 hdds same WD Blue brand sitting just one under another but temps are 2C high/low.

Its as basic as comparing temps of Zotac 3060 with FE 3060, obviously idle temps will be diff. for both.

Is it issue with Kingston? It is running on PCIe and w/o heatsink. But if I put it on motherboard NVME slot, temp come down to below 40.

1659362501882.png

heatsink!
Both are running without heatsink. I will try to get a heat sink for Kingston.
Many factors come into play.
Diff. manufacturers, pcb, drive performance, drive placement inside cabinet, direct heat pass through wrt ambient temps inside + air circulation impact etc. factors.

I have 3 hdds same WD Blue brand sitting just one under another but temps are 2C high/low.

Its as basic as comparing temps of Zotac 3060 with FE 3060, obviously idle temps will be diff. for both.
Please see the placement in attached pic. Is WD getting some air from processor fan? Or getting some heat from processor? ;)
It's the different microcontrollers and NAND flash. Also those temps are fine, don't worry about them. High end drives reach 85C+ when busy.
I used a brand new Crucial 500GB NVMe SSD in NUC (11th Gen i5) and the temperature was running 48-52 at idle. In 2 months, SSD life reduced to 98% whereas some of my many years old SSDs (2.5") are running at 100% life.

I though this is because of less air flow in NUC but it seems Crucial was also like Kingston.

Attachments

• P.jpeg
    P.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I used a brand new Crucial 500GB NVMe SSD in NUC (11th Gen i5) and the temperature was running 48-52 at idle. In 2 months, SSD life reduced to 98% whereas some of my many years old SSDs (2.5") are running at 100% life.

I though this is because of less air flow in NUC but it seems Crucial was also like Kingston.
The health percentage is the NAND wear indicator and has nothing to do with temps.
It depends on the max TBW of the drive and the amount of data you've written till date.

You're overthinking, if the drive is in warranty just chill and use it like any other normal end-user. Those temps are fine when you're copying large files for longer durations. Perfectly within operational range. NAND chips are rated for more than 100C max temps.

Don't bother cooling SSDs. Flash actually prefers high temperatures. It's the controller that throttles at high temps (we're talking 70+ degrees) so don't worry about the ssd temps.

Edit:
Here's GN talking about the same issue

Last edited:
Back