Why do American's want to be different?

Wraith

Skilled
Why do American's do the following things??

1) Why is Football called Soccer?

2) Why is a game which is similar to Rugby called American Football when the 'FOOT' is seldomly used??

3) Why are the NBA champions called World Champions when only local American teams play??

4) Why do they spell words differntly? eg : 'colour' is 'color' in USA

5)Why do they call SMS as 'Text'?

Just hearing the word 'Text' while watching Rockstar INXS got me thinking....

Do u know that they flip their switches the other way? that is, we press the bottom part of a switch to switch it on, while they go the other way.

About the 'color' thing thats actually something good,British English is too deviant in terms of spellings.The Americans believe in WYSIWYG(or hear rather), so they have implemented it in their language too. ;)

Do u know that they flip their switches the other way? that is, we press the bottom part of a switch to switch it on, while they go the other way.

Seen that in movies n stuff....also their electrical sockets are diff....
damm i got my ps2 home...i couldnt play it the first night coz i didnt have the socket adapter!!! :D

yeah there's somr more like they call tap a faucet, housewife as housemaker, petrol as gas funniest of all toilet as rest room

housewife - in India the new term is homemaker. That is just being PC that's all.
As for color being WSYWIG, well that is pretty much BS. It should be kolor. Also, where the hell do they get off on psychology then? sykologee?
sockets - well actually that type is used all over the place, and actually, the rectangular prongs tend to have a tighter fit. Nowadays, in India, we get dual sockets (rect+circular) except in the case of 15A sockets, which still require an adaptor.

KingKrool said:
housewife - in India the new term is homemaker. That is just being PC that's all.
As for color being WSYWIG, well that is pretty much BS. It should be kolor. Also, where the hell do they get off on psychology then? sykologee?
sockets - well actually that type is used all over the place, and actually, the rectangular prongs tend to have a tighter fit. Nowadays, in India, we get dual sockets (rect+circular) except in the case of 15A sockets, which still require an adaptor.
Only somethings can be changed without essentially changing the language itself.You ought to read a bit about how 'American English' developed and why people like Ben Franklin tried to simplify spellings. ;)

If u want to build a brand, to attract others, to show that u r superior, u have to differentiate. thats it. thats what they do.

Its easy for them coz they dont have that long history as we do. Actually they were mostly the mixed britishers who revolted aginst colonialism, so they want to change or modify everything thats british, that satisfies their ego, i Think.

We r also different, but we are that "weirdly" different, the land of snake charmers and blah blah.

They r different, but thats "cool" !

We hav to do a lot on our packaging and advtg.

Why is a game which is similar to Rugby called American Football when the 'FOOT' is seldomly used??

Why are the NBA champions called World Champions when only local American teams play??
Forget everything.... any explanations for the above?

Why are the NBA champions called World Champions when only local American teams play??
becuz the worlds best players do play in that league.....most of the top stars of other countries i.e yao ming, nowitzki, pau gasol, mutombo, stojakovic play in nba.....but these make up hardly 10-15% of the league....rest r all american....the original dream team consisting of jordan, magic johnson, larry bird, charles barkley, david robinson, patrick ewing, karl malone, scottie pippen that participated in the '92 olympics totally decimated their opponents....it can still be done provided the present nba stars do play in the olympics :(

BTW, the US usually does not win the Basketball Olympics.
Do you know that english only barely beat out french as America's official language back when they became independent?

500!!!!

apollyon said:
becuz the worlds best players do play in that league.....most of the top stars of other countries i.e yao ming, nowitzki, pau gasol, mutombo, stojakovic play in nba.....but these make up hardly 10-15% of the league....rest r all american....the original dream team consisting of jordan, magic johnson, larry bird, charles barkley, david robinson, patrick ewing, karl malone, scottie pippen that participated in the '92 olympics totally decimated their opponents....it can still be done provided the present nba stars do play in the olympics :(

:hap2: ! You sure know your Hoops ! I'm impressed.
Think "Clyde The Glide Drexler" and Stockton were also part of The Gang !

^^and so was christian laettner, a future all star regular..that team rocked.....they defeated their opponents with a average score of 40 odd points....compare that with the dull n lacklustre performance of the athens team....odom, shawn marion, marbury, james lebron, allen iverson n tim duncan...normally such a team should be enough for a gold....over confidence n disinterest led to a dismal performance.....sad :(

Back