Why do different router/modem give different speeds ?

hey,
I have three modem-routers, dareglobal db108, utstarcom, and beetel adsl 450tc1. Well one is my friends. I have tried all three of them on my phone line which is bsnl broadband. On the utstarcom, I get speeds of 210-220KB/s on torrents and around 230KB/s on http transfers.On private torrents with good seeders, it hardly takes 5 secs to reach max speed.There is no fluctuation in the speed.Its pretty stable throughout.

While on the other two modems, the max speed on torrents I get is 185KB/s and that too after few minutes of passing by.The startup is also very jumpy, the speed rises, and after few seconds it climbs down, again it rises and comes down.This happens for quite a long and rarely do I see a stable plateau.:( It sorta bugs the hell out of me.

Does anybody know of any solution to this problem ?

@nish_pinto ... No firewall. I dont use any firewall nor any AV.Just practice safe browsing :)

@bobbyprajan ... Yes port forwarding done in all the routers.Http transfers takes place at 200KB/s using a download manager.

It happens dont know y?

but i experienced similar issues with pci lan cards too....may sounf weird but till date only dlink & intex proved to be the best lan cards for me in terms of speed.

Here are 2 screens ... the router is the beetel one.

Fs4ZN.jpg

vT85j.jpg

Edit: The beetel router is the one which airtel provides to its subscribers. Now I am wondering how come airtel people are getting good speeds on it and whats the problem at my end. The modem adsl stats page shows a downlink speed of 2048kbps and uplink of 512kbps. And it shows a very high attainable rate depending on the line parameters.Now since bsnl's dslam port is clocked at 2048 down and 512 up I should get exactly that much speed theoritically.But I understand practically thats not possible. The utstarcom works like a charm , it gives 220-230KBps speeds, why is that the beetel router cant do the same ? Why does it behave oddly ? Is it some firmware fault ?

its all about how good is hardware of router,

as such they are small computers their so how many simeltenous connection they can handle.it all depends on how much ram it has and all.torrent means multiple connections to multiple pc's.

so it takes a good router with decent amt. of ram to do the justice to job.

Actually I wanted to know what speeds do airtel or anyother bb users get while using this beetel 450TC1 adsl2+ router (wifi) .

@pratikb ... a friend has dlink router, let me try it out too.

Back