Car & Bike Why HM Ambassador engines make a loud noise while other cars dont?

Ray

Disciple
I have always wondered why they make a loud noise.
Even new Ambassadors make noise.
Ambassador has been around for decades.If it was a design flaw it should have been fixed by now!!
They are only 1817cc ,74 HP & 130 Nm @ 3000 rpm so its no F1 engine that would make noise.

For comparison a Hyundai i20 is 1396cc,88.8 HP and 219.7Nm@1500-2750rpm

What?
Its like comparing a muscle with a tuner man. And comparing express train engine with a local train engine.
And also now ambassador is gone.

Ambassador is so low powered that it struggles to go over a speed bump!! i20 is comparatively lighter and more powerful:D
anyway why it makes noise??what use is engine noise?

One of the friend of my dad used to work at Hind Motor. He said that at one time there was a shortage of engines for the Ambassador. So they put in the engine of a small truck inside.

And about the Amby engines having no power, have you ever compared the weight of an Amby with that of an i20?
Amby is solidly built. Just like a tank. You can hit any car without the fear of the car getting damaged. Any vehicle short of a truck will be unable to put a dent on an Amby.

And have you seen an Amby in a waterlogged road?
It is one car which will not sputter and die even though its exhaust pipe is submerged completely. You just have to make sure that the engine does not cut off at any time and you will safely cross the waterlogged street!!!

99% of it is simple lack of refinement, there is(was) virtually no NVH suppression, It was just designed to get a bunch of people from A to B.

Also, 74 bhp pulling that huge hunk of steel is going to stress the hell out of the engine, leading to operation at the high end of the rpm range, leading to more noise and vibes.

Also if you keep on the throttle , any car or bike or scooter will make it through a waterlogged road, subject to ground clearance/sensitivity of the electronics to water.

The 1817 cc is the Isuzu sourced petrol motor which doesn't make much noise. The noisy one is the half century old 1.5l Diesel that produces less than 40 odd bhp! U can safely blame the noise on 1) Obsolete engine technology and design, 2) almost in-existent noise damping on firewall, 3) Poor engine mounts, 4) Ill fitted body parts (rattles magnifies noise). Then there is the 2l Isuzu sourced Turbo diesel which ain't that quiet either, but this engine option is found on fewer cars. The 1.5l mill rules the roost and creates the most ruckus. Infact the firewall dampening is so inadequate that gases from the engine compartment easily makes its way into the cabin as does most of engine noise.

To add further, the build quality of the Amby is not something to be proud about either as misconceived by many. No crumple zones, no collapsible steering, poor handling, poor brakes, no handbrake, no pedestrian safety rules observed means the Amby is more like a coffin on the roads and as deadly as anything that are products from the "Licence Raj". The Amby may feel sturdier in negotiating nudges and the so called fender benders at puttering speed, again owing to the fact that it does not conform to pedestrian safety norms, but in a real crash scenario, it's a deathtrap.

Last edited:
Back