Why is the Seiko Monster so popular?

AMG

Skilled
I've been browsing the watchUseek forums and somewhat closely followed the horology and watches sub forum on TE, and I see almost everyone has one in their collection. Some even say the easiest way to become a collector is to add one to the collection.

I, for one think its not really a very pretty watch, and see no reason for its popularity.

Is it like pugs? Those dogs are ugly and bad at everything, and tiny. Sort of like theyre so bad at everything, that they become cool, in a queer way? Any other reasons?

I mean I get it thats its a cheap diver, but 90% of the owners dont ever go diving AFAIK.

Some of the reasons being (though applicable to other watches):

1. Huge lume on the dial. Chunky chapter.
2. Workhorse 4R-36 movement. Reliable and tested.
3. Automatic Diver class. (200M). Enough said.
4. Hardlex crystal. Great implementation by Seiko. Highly impact resistant vs. scratch resistant. You can probably bang it on a corner seat and get away with it.
5. Screw down crown and case. Gives air tight integrity. One can shower with this thing on. Why would you. Kicks..?
6. Brushed case which is a delight to look at. The most looked at part of a (any) watch, maybe after the dial (or bracelet).
7. It is an affordable substitute for the MM300 (SBDX Marine Master Professional) and/or TUNA (SBBN Prospex) class. Which can set you back 60K-1L INR, easily..!
8. Good competitor in a similar class: of the Seiko Kinetic BFG (SKA series) and / or Seiko SKX automatic.
9. Mates really really well to: oyster/jubilee bracelet / plastic diver strap / NATO harnesses.
10. And if one can afford it: immense scope for modifications.

Basically if you are into Diver's (non digital, yes Eco-Drive is digital) which are affordable the list should be (in random order):

1. Seiko SKX.
2. Seiko Monster.
3. Seiko Kinetic SKA (though is a pain to keep it charged). No balance wheel here -debatable- to being an automatic movement.
4. Citizen NY2300.
5. Orient Mako.

Oh...and....

11. Great to look at the "time".

:)

The are worn by desk jockeys who hope that the PYT in office will notice it and strike up a conversation (but this never happens)

lol. OTOH you wear a watch like the Seiko Monster and it gets you ton of compliments. That PYT probably won't notice if you were wearing a Patek Phillipe either.

4. Hardlex crystal. Great implementation by Seiko. Highly impact resistant vs. scratch resistant. You can probably bang it on a corner seat and get away with it.
5. Screw down crown and case. Gives air tight integrity. One can shower with this thing on. Why would you. Kicks..?
6. Brushed case which is a delight to look at. The most looked at part of a (any) watch, maybe after the dial (or bracelet).
7. It is an affordable substitute for the MM300 (SBDX Marine Master Professional) and/or TUNA (SBBN Prospex) class. Which can set you back 60K-1L INR, easily..!
8. Good competitor in a similar class: of the Seiko Kinetic BFG (SKA series) and / or Seiko SKX automatic.
9. Mates really really well to: oyster/jubilee bracelet / plastic diver strap / NATO harnesses.

Basically if you are into Diver's (non digital, yes Eco-Drive is digital) which are affordable the list should be (in random order):

1. Seiko SKX.
2. Seiko Monster.
3. Seiko Kinetic SKA (though is a pain to keep it charged). No balance wheel here -debatable- to being an automatic movement.
4. Citizen NY2300.
5. Orient Mako.

Oh...and....

What he said.

You have to remember that with watches as with any other piece of clothing or fashion you are wearing, it all boils down to one simple fact - Your money, your wrist, wear what you like.
If the Monster doesn't appeal to you then something else will. Maybe divers watches are not your thing, maybe chronographs are.

I lost my G-shock and have decided to stay away from watches till I become more responsible. Ironically I had babied my Timex Flix for nearly a decade during my childhood.

I lost my G-shock and have decided to stay away from watches till I become more responsible. Ironically I had babied my Timex Flix for nearly a decade during my childhood.

How can you possibly lose a watch? It is normally on your hand and right in front of your eyes.

How can you possibly lose a watch? It is normally on your hand and right in front of your eyes.
It was a little loose and I liked to wear it like that but that meant I used to take it off whenever I was eating out and it probably got left at a restaurant.

What a blasphemous sin.....!!!![DOUBLEPOST=1423488230][/DOUBLEPOST]
maybe chronographs are.

Like most, my Wave I of watches were chronographs. Now I have stopped buying them all together. Maybe I will get the Seiko SSC017, someday though...! But not as an immediate desire..!

Last edited:
What a blasphemous sin.....!!!![DOUBLEPOST=1423488230][/DOUBLEPOST]

Like most, my Wave I of watches were chronographs. Now I have stopped buying them all together. Maybe I will get the Seiko SSC017, someday though...! But not as an immediate desire..!

I fell in love with bicompax chronographs all over again. On a huge kick lately and my collection has expanded quite a bit. Maybe I'll do a SOTC thread some day soon. I also like the SSC031 for its pepsi bezel and sporty look but restrain myself thinking of my resolution of no more sub $500 watches and trying to save up for a Planet Ocean Chrono 9300.

1. Seiko SKX.
2. Seiko Monster.
4. Citizen NY2300.
5. Orient Mako.

Oh...and....

lol. OTOH you wear a watch like the Seiko Monster and it gets you ton of compliments. That PYT probably won't notice if you were wearing a Patek Phillipe either.

What he said.

You have to remember that with watches as with any other piece of clothing or fashion you are wearing, it all boils down to one simple fact - Your money, your wrist, wear what you like.
If the Monster doesn't appeal to you then something else will. Maybe divers watches are not your thing, maybe chronographs are.

What does the monster do that the Seiko SKX007 doesnt for 20$ less. And it looks prettier too.

Why do people prefer the orange monster over the SKX007? The 007 looks prettier and is cheaper too.

Dude, it's what I have been saying repeatedly - Your money, your wrist, wear what you like.

People prefer the looks of the orange monster over the relatively simplistic SKX007. Although both are in their own league, what a person wants in their watch is purely subjective. So in other words you are comparing apples to oranges (see what I did there?). As to why people prefer the monster over any other watch, or even a rolex over any other watch, is like asking why do you go to your favorite restaurant and not eat at the road side stall every time which is obviously cheaper and may even look pretty on occasion and your state of intoxication. It's subjective.

If you find the SKX007 to be prettier and cheaper then go for it.

Why do people prefer the orange monster over the SKX007? The 007 looks prettier and is cheaper too.

Well the looks factor is pure aesthetics and we cannot debate about that...!

Both the SKX007 and the Monster (SRP307) retail on Creation Watches for about: 11356 and 12625, respectively so the price difference is really not that large, for watch collectors. Maybe you came upon the Monster Prospex (SBDC023, retailing at ~30K) which hosts the 6r15 movement. Movement wise as per age: 7s26---->4r36--->6r15, is how they were developed. Each movement is supposed to be an improved version over the prior. The 4r36 added handwinding (though is automatic) and hack capabilites to the 7s26 movement, and the 6r15 gives you: handwind (with automatic), hack, and a 50H power reserve. The Alpinist line also runs on this movement. For some reason the 6r series have the magic lever automatic winder removed, and now replaced with a standard automatic winding bridge system -which- would translate to mono-directional winding (where as the magic lever initiated uni-directional winding when the rotor was spun in "any" direction"), probably to allow the modification on the balance wheel, releasing power slowly to the drive chain. I am positive, that all movements have the same* type of mainspring in the barrel. Just that some have a better energy ratio.

Overall the Monster is seen to be more rugged and tough in nature, and has a more novel movement.

*Ok, just found out. The newer 6r15 has the Spron 510 mainspring which is different to the prior models. That is why it is high-beat with a longer PR.

Last edited:
1:Dude, it's what I have been saying repeatedly - Your money, your wrist, wear what you like.

People prefer the looks of the orange monster over the relatively simplistic SKX007. Although both are in their own league, what a person wants in their watch is purely subjective.

2: So in other words you are comparing apples to oranges (see what I did there?).

3:
As to why people prefer the monster over any other watch, or even a rolex over any other watch, is like asking why do you go to your favorite restaurant and not eat at the road side stall every time which is obviously cheaper and may even look pretty on occasion and your state of intoxication. It's subjective.

4: If you find the SKX007 to be prettier and cheaper then go for it.

1: And I will. Thanks for telling.

2: Both are divers. Both cost the same. Both are from the same company. I fail to see how I am comparing apples to oranges(and that pun was terrible)

3: So, is it incorrect to try and decipher the behavior of masses? Also, almost everything in this world has a reason. Its just that I do not see it and am trying to find out the reason for the cult following. I think I'm missing something somewhere.

4: Maybe I will.

Well the looks factor is pure aesthetics and we cannot debate about that...!

Both the SKX007 and the Monster (SRP307) retail on Creation Watches for about: 11356 and 12625, respectively so the price difference is really not that large, for watch collectors.

Yeah. Its these two only that I meant. One is for 200$, the other for 180$, so yeah. Wasnt talking about the other more expensive watch.

Yeah. Its these two only that I meant. One is for 200$, the other for 180$, so yeah. Wasnt talking about the other more expensive watch.

I told you some of the reasons. Hack / manual wind, more rugged body, newer movement. Larger lumbrite chapter. And honestly, collectors usually have both the SKX and Monster. Though how did you ascertain that Monsters are preferred over the SKX.....? I am on WUS, and it seems balanced to me.....!!

I told you some of the reasons. Hack / manual wind, more rugged body, newer movement. Larger lumbrite chapter. And honestly, collectors usually have both the SKX and Monster. Though how did you ascertain that Monsters are preferred over the SKX.....? I am on WUS, and it seems balanced to me.....!!

I apologise. I thought you were referring to the more expensive Prospex .

1: And I will. Thanks for telling.

2: Both are divers. Both cost the same. Both are from the same company. I fail to see how I am comparing apples to oranges(and that pun was terrible)

3: So, is it incorrect to try and decipher the behavior of masses? Also, almost everything in this world has a reason. Its just that I do not see it and am trying to find out the reason for the cult following. I think I'm missing something somewhere.

1. You are welcome. :)

2. The reason I said Apples and Oranges is that I can show you many more Seiko Divers within the same price range and each watch will have something different than the rest. Guess the joke didn't go down well. Have a glass of Orange Juice. ;)

3. Sir, if you ever find the exact reason that makes people tick, do us a favor and let us all know too. Would be good to understand why people make certain choices.

Just that, per my limited understanding, people choose what they like in a watch despite all the suggestions and comments in the world. I was emphasizing on the personal choice part. Plus Anil had listed out the major differences between the Monster and SKX007 in an earlier post which IMO is pretty informative.

PS: One way to save money is to go for the older monsters that have the same movement as the SKX007. I hope you find what you are looking for. All the best.

Just that, per my limited understanding, people choose what they like in a watch despite all the suggestions and comments in the world. I was emphasizing on the personal choice part. Plus Anil had listed out the major differences between the Monster and SKX007 in an earlier post which IMO is pretty informative.

Yea, true. Even the 7s26/36 workhorse movement are stellar though. They are deployed on the Seiko 5 range which have:

1. Day/date.
2. Water Resistant.
3. Automatic Winding.
4. Unbreakable Mainspring in the barrel (Diaflex).
5. A proprietary Seiko shock resistance design, kind of like the Swiss Incabloc (Diashock).

This is an affordable range, and a great set of watch(s) to have....!

Back