Why is Xbox struggling to put out good games despite owning a lot of good studios?

Bennyboi72

Patron
Recruit
Sony on the other makes really good games for the most part, whereas Microsoft seems to struggle despite owning good studios like Obsidian and Bethesda. What are your thoughts?

because most of the games were already in the pipeline when Microsoft bought them, Redfall for example, it was supposed to be one of the games in ZeniMax's push for live service and you can still see elements of it. I think Starfall is the last game that can redeem Xbox now

Xbox lacks in first party games department, they mosty have 3rd party games despite having the fact that Microsoft owns 23 studios. But you can't deny that they purchased a portion of those studios at the same time in a last couple of years.
So, you'll have to wait for the games currently under development before they get into this rythm of releasing 5 games a year.

Experience.

Sony invested a lot in their studios and franchises in the PS2-PS3 era. That is paying off for nearly a decade plus now. Look at Zelda and Nintendo as an example. The people that work on that franchise have been working on that franchise at Nintendo for literally 20 plus years. You just cannot beat that kind of institutional knowledge and experience.

MS's decided third party games were enough during the 360 Kinect phase and then doubled down on it around the XB1 disastrous launch.

Which is why they are on a buying spree. It takes years to build a team that can deliver Zelda, Last of Us etc. If they dont want to wait till 2030 or something, buying established studios is the best bet.

I bought Xbox Series X, bought Game Pass, and within a few days realized that there aren't good games at all apart from EA/CodeMaster titles the exclusives are bad and not even updated. e.g., GEARS 5 was released in 2015 there have been no worthy games for it for a while, I sold my Xbox Series X after 1.5 months and bought PS5.

There are two very straightforward reasons for this:
  • Phil Spencer
  • Xbox's hands-off approach

Phil Spencer is the number #1 reason why Xbox's brand value has dropped off a cliff since the 360-era. His obsession with Game Pass and the mentality of pushing games as a service concept has been detrimental to Xbox. At the end of the day, dude knows nothing about what the Xbox brand value means, which is why he is still allowing games like Redfall and Halo Infinite to be pushed through the door. He is the worst thing that has happened to Xbox. Every year, he will come on stage and blabber about how many games are in the pipeline. And then when it comes to delivery, he will issue an apology. This has been going on since 2014.

Then comes Xbox's hands-off approach. Multiple industry people have confirmed that Xbox do not like to interfere with the inner workings of their studios - which is a bad thing. Its this approach that they have allowed 343 to destroy Halo's reputation, which Bungie worked their butts off for years. The same thing happened with Gears. Two of some of the most iconic franchises have been dead for a long time.

Back