Why no DLC's on Indian Gaming Stores

rantingraj

Disciple
Hi

I hope I am not posting this where I shouldn't but I wanted to get a discussion going or at least get some answers about gaming in India in general and more specifically about the lack of availability of DLCs for games on game stores like flipkart/game4u etc

Firstly I have been an avid gamer since childhood but because of how expensive games can be (at least full fledged AAA games) for us Indians I would stick to pirating games and hence SP mode for most games which was until last year when I discovered Steam and then Sales on Steam. Being a big rts fan Company of Heroes was the first game I bought on it when it was being sold cheap ish and have never regretted the purchase. Anyways I still did not know about games for PC being sold cheap now on sites like Flipkart. It was only by chance one day that I Stumbled on Flipkarts gaming section and discovered that they now sell AAA games (albeit just select blockbusters) for 999, I also discovered origin at around that time and ever since I have fallen into the habit of buying one or sometimes two games a month which is something I can afford more or less now that I have a job. Just that the game has to strike some interest in me particularly if it has Multiplayer.

However the one thing that I just can't figure is why these sellers don't also sell the DLC's and expansions for the games they sell? It is so frustrating when I buy a game for 999 and then DLCs start rolling out for it and if I want one or more of them I have to shell out more than the amount I paid for the game itself in most cases! It seems impossible to me that either the game companies or the retailers who now sell these games for cheap can't understand that they'd only increase their profits if they started selling the DLCs for the games at a price proportionate to the game itself!

Anyways I dont understand what exactly has made it possible for these games to be sold for such prices in the first place. Last I checked these games are still being sold in the rest of the world at prices of 50/60 dollars. I imagine the company which is responsible for this has no gamers in it and hence has no idea of this possibility?!! if so, I hope somebody enlightens them soon and they start bringing dlcs too.

The other thing I hate is why cant they (sites like Flipkart/Nextworld) also start selling the games online?!! It would be so much better if we could download the game instantly after purchasing it instead of waiting like a couple of days to be able to play the game and its exponentially more frustrating when you "pre order" the game but end up getting the game so much more later than the rest of the world. Anyways I think I will save my rant on this other subject for later :D

Steam/Origin offers online downloads.

If you purchase GOTY they have all DLC's , DLC selling separately is about business

Ha your right but completely off the point! a goty for any game comes after like a year after release! who gives a **** about that! I am talking about being able to buy dlc for a new game I bought say for example Assasins creed 3 or Borderlands 2.

DLC are rarely, if ever, sold through retail. As such, there is almost no chance of seeing them in Flipkart/Nextworld, even after years of release. There is also no digital distribution medium for India except EA, but for some reason most of the DLC's are not available in the Origin India store. India is still not seen as a big enough market to get their own regional pricing for digital media (except Origin), so you can forget about DLCs being sold here directly, at least in the near future.

DLC = downloadble content..the name itself says why you can't have it in disc...they are provided to increase the shelf life and its one of the marketing gimmick which is now prevalent.....

DLC = downloadble content..the name itself says why you can't have it in disc...they are provided to increase the shelf life and its one of the marketing gimmick which is now prevalent.....

Well anything stopping them from offering dlcs as downloads or just cd keys at least in case of steam games? Plus its a fad I do like in case of some games

Back