OC & Modding Why Overclock

anupamsinha

Disciple
I see many posts regarding OCing here. Many have sophisticated s/w and/or h/w for it as well. But many a times I have seen that people spend thousands on a cooling solution for their OCing endeavours for a performane gain they could have got if they invested this in the non oced equivalent h/w. With that investment would had been protected from the ill effects of OCing.

I could think of two points for OCing.

1. The geek inside me wants it. :- Hell who does it for speed I need to satisfy the geek in me.

2. I could not afford the H/W at that time. So settled for something less and then later oced it and also saved money on upgrade.

Does your idea of ocing belong to one of these or is it a combination of both of these? Oh or there is third school of thought? :huh: Please share.

I would agree with point 1 :eek:hyeah:

I somewhat disagree with point 2 - i've not seen anyone who buys a nice new processor, runs it at stock completely happy and a year later finds his proc is outdated so he overclocks it to make up for the difference.
In a way yes, everyone does try to get more from less , but its not a case of the hardware being incapable at stock speeds that they need to overclock to compensate. Most people do not even notice the difference when overclocked, apart from benchmark numbers ;)

When you can have more for less then why not?
Its statistics. You ideally want FX-55. But be logical. If you get something like venice or even SD, you can but yourself a nice graphic card like 6800GT on the money you save on FX-55 which costa in excess of 40K.
Overclock the hell out of the product you have. I run my processor at max stable it can handle. It helps a lot in gaming. Atleast to me with all eye candy turned on.
On the graphic card front for the first time i ran it overclocked in the game few days ago when SCPT was not enjoyable on 6600GT.
Otherwise rest of the time its running at stock. Oved for benching only.

many are doing it only coz many are doing it and find them successful..
most of them fall for the second option.. but to do overclocking and risk ur pc n money, u need the help of other geeks! and their inspiration, which may generate that sleepy curiosity in u.. :)
i suppose tats y all the curious geeky boys are the members of most of the tech forums, and searching for hardware, cooling materials in their wishlist..
m telling all this, coz after reading all the water cooling xperiments by sonny, and the excitement from the threads here, i just want to do(oops..wish to do ;) ) some overclocking or modding, but without hampering my pc or my money...

Beedi is actually an underclocker :p

Her Sempron 2600+ (1833MHz) is actually running at 1100MHz :rofl:

to be honest it dosent matter.
Even if i buy the damn FX-55 i know i will overclock that too.
Simply cant resist it. My first overclock was with PIII 450. All the time my hand was holding the power cord to pull it out if things go wrong.
Now every single piece except Disk drives in my system is overclocked atleast for testing. Even monitor and mouse is not left out :p ( Changed USB refresh rates and also ran my monitor at higher than supported refresh rate :p ).
In short thats how i can say PAISA VASUL. Get every last drop of performance out of your system :D

thats rgt i am also on the 2nd ....... i overclock to take more juice of my comp ....... i got the slowest proccy 2800+ and now i am running @ fastest available 3700+ ....... it feels good ......sometimes its fun ....

Reason for OCing when i will be getting my new rig will be category 2.
Many OCer fall in cat 2 only.

also why spend more when you can acheive it at a lower cost , simple

I havn't OCed much. Much in terms of increasing the clock and also the time for which I OCed my H/W. I guess it would be some mins till date. I OCed mainly for reason no. 1. I didn't had any need for the OCed H/W. Even an uncerclocked H/W would had been enough for me. But reason 1 was why I OCed.

anupamsinha posted 0.68 minutes later:

Or should I rather say I wanted the thrill of OCing.

Back