Why there's no satellite internet like DTH services?

mathrisk

.: deleted :.
Adept
Technology sure exists right ? For a decent speed.
But what are the thresholds, why we aren't having satellite dishes just like DTH TV services?

Can someone ELI5 this please ?

TIA. :)

ps: recently airtel fiber to our apartment was cut by goons (allegedly belongs to local cable ISP). Hence the thought.

Last edited:
Using internet over the DTH is very expensive. I have seen it get used in very far away places such as mountains or remote islands, where there is no cable connectivity available.

here are my thoughts:
+ satellite rentals are too high.
+ satellites have high exposure to external disturbances such as solar magnetic flares, meteors.
+ the volume of data is difficult to be carried over wireless.

Up-linking to a satellite is expensive. Satellites are more suited to broadcast (up-linking at one place and then multiple receivers spread all over).

I remember talking long ago to someone who used to deploy internet services in rural Russia. Uploads were through phone line and download through satellite.

I have friends who work in Merchant navy. They use satellite for internet. I was told that employees won't get much data because it is very costly. They could barely use WhatsApp, that's all.

I am sure there will be an ELI5 for this on reddit.

My views are the same as @dpandey - it comes down to the following - bandwidth, latency and cost. There is limited bandwidth, very high latency.

Cost is an entirely different thing altogether. For transmission, you need special equipment on your end as well, and this is not cheap. Mainly, since you need to beam that message through the atmosphere which needs more power.

Latency is also quite bad. With the distances involved, it won't go lower than half a second.
Latency is the biggest downside.[DOUBLEPOST=1534929889][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cost is an entirely different thing altogether. For transmission, you need special equipment on your end as well, and this is not cheap. Mainly, since you need to beam that message through the atmosphere which needs more power.
Consider cloud cover for at least 4-6 months of the year. Deserts will be better

Latency is the biggest downside.[DOUBLEPOST=1534929889][/DOUBLEPOST]
Consider cloud cover for at least 4-6 months of the year. Deserts will be better

I was actually saying with reference to DTH. Most people assume that the same equipment which receives DTH signals can send as well.

Back