Linux Why you use Linux?

Okay I've never used Linux before and this topic begs me to use it. So how do get a copy and what's the latest one that I can get?

Just searched for it and I get so many results : Gentoo Linux,Mandriva Linux,Debian GNU/Linux - :S What are all these which one should I go for?

thanks.

hash,
Start out with Ubuntu.
You'll have to experiment with a few before you find out the one that suits you best.

hash said:
Okay I've never used Linux before and this topic begs me to use it. So how do get a copy and what's the latest one that I can get?

Just searched for it and I get so many results : Gentoo Linux,Mandriva Linux,Debian GNU/Linux - :S What are all these which one should I go for?

thanks.
I would suggest any KDE based distro like Mandriva One
. KDE has lot more eye candy than rival Gnone desktop. regardless to which distro you choose. stick to it and try to learn the new oS. because once you start using Linux, you would feel just the way when you used a PC for a First time. everything will be new to you. so don't panic:p

What's great is. you can Download the Live CD and try it without installing. if you like the OS, then you can go ahead with installation.

Still confused which distro to try:
Try zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

Just searched for it and I get so many results : Gentoo Linux,Mandriva Linux,Debian GNU/Linux - What are all these which one should I go for?
you are gonna waste your time with linux. specially considering that you are not a fan of googling.

ooooh cuts like a knife... i like the response :) the last time i tried something like that i got infracted - darned mods - different section though - linux mods are nice guys. :ashamed:

Gaurish said:
I would suggest any KDE based distro like Mandriva One

. KDE has lot more eye candy than rival Gnone desktop. regardless to which distro you choose. stick to it and try to learn the new oS. because once you start using Linux, you would feel just the way when you used a PC for a First time. everything will be new to you. so don't panic:p

What's great is. you can Download the Live CD and try it without installing. if you like the OS, then you can go ahead with installation.

Still confused which distro to try:

Try zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

i would rather suggest GNome over KDE for someone new to linux.

KDE does have a lot of eyecandy..

it's just that GNome is much more easier to work with..interface and options can be reached faster..which a new user will be using for most at start.

but that is just my opinion.

@Hash

if you have a good net connection then get Mandriva One latest with KDE and Ubuntu 9.10.

try both. You dont need to install either of them, just boot into live distro and see which Desktop you are comfortable with.

@Topic.

- I find it safer and simpler to manage. :)

- Regular changes, updates and bug fix. :hap2:

- It LEGALLY doesn't cost anything except for the bandwidth. :p

- Other reasons mentioned by members...

chesss said:
^congrats u r successful in being completely incomprehensible! :)

It is not compulsory to express your feelings, especially where they do not belong or matter.

I shifted to (Ubuntu) Linux when Win Vista is ready to hit the market & it's activation stuff is hovering all over the internet.It is in Oct/Nov 2006 as much as I remember.

In that time I tried many linux distro (PC Linux,Mint,Sabion,Fedora) and finally came back to Ubuntu flavor.

The reason is the same:-

1.It is free
2.Secure from any virus & crashes.
3.No virus update/scan
4.My 128 MB Ram walla Machine performed outstanding(in that time I have one).
5.In that time I have Dataone connection (Just upgrade from dialup).
6.Easy To Install Software.

The compatibility I found with New version (Currently on 9.04) :-

1.My SLR is mount easily and I can Drag'n'Drop the RAW file from CF Card to my HDD with out any hick-ups.
2.Normal digicam works flawlessly with previous version also.
3.Installing New HDD/Optical drive is as easy as windows.
4.Nokia E/N Series phone works flawlessly with Blutootth Applet (Bluez.org) which can eliminate the use of Nokia PC Suite.

Now I need an info,

Will Ubuntu supports any USB Wi-Fi Dongle ? And specially Belkin products,which I find in my place plenty off.

I use it mostly for the purpose its intended for, i.e an experimental OS that you can play around with and learn. Been doing it that way since 1996 (my student days). I install various distributions that are released and play around with them.

Ofcourse I still have have Windows as my primary OS for serious work. Desktop oriented free distributions of Linux still have a long way to go to be on par with Windows in terms of easy usability, hardware support and reliability for full time serious work.

For the last one month I have been running my temp rig with just linux (Fedora 12) on it. Since I don't have any serious work to get done at home, I have been playing around with every free OS distribution I can lay my hands on (download). Yesterday, I installed, Open Suse 11.2, Mandriva 2010, Ubuntu 9.04, Kubuntu, Sidux, Mint and Open Solaris just to see which has the best installer, hardware support and most usable out of the box. (if anyone is curious, Ubuntu and Open SUSE gets the award)

madnav said:
i would rather suggest GNome over KDE for someone new to linux.

KDE does have a lot of eyecandy..

it's just that GNome is much more easier to work with..interface and options can be reached faster..which a new user will be using for most at start.

I totally agree. I have been been trying out releases of GNOME and KDE from their inception and although KDE had the initial edge, its becoming more of a Pandora box full of chaos lately. I don't know where its going, but its becoming more like the newer releases of Mac OS, a lot of eye candy and lot less usability and consistency.

For a newbie, I would recommend Ubuntu or Open SUSE GNOME configuration. YaST in Open SUSE comes in pretty handy for newbies. Both of these distributions also have very versatile installation programs.

Yea its strange/funny how this "experimental" OS is used for production systems in various wide-ranging applications including critical ones like finance, healthcare/medical, govt/military... you name it :p

If MS decides to offer the "client OS" Windows 8 (at least home premium edition) or whatever/whenever for free of cost (or super cheap) like I have been clamouring for then it will be worth considering IMHO... and I will BET on it they will do it eventually...

Right now many people simply pirate it or obtain free copies from alternate/legal sources (college/work etc) so the cost fact is lost on them. When you have to pay thousands of rupees of your own hard earned money per copy (think multiple copies for desktop, laptop, friends/family etc) vs. free then opinions like mine (Im cheap) can change really fast :D

Of course, you have to be careful about the false sense of security...

Just because people yell its "open source" and anybody can view the code... most people go and install unknown packages from PPA/multimedia/small distros etc... hardly anyone reviews/checks the code...

There can VERY EASILY be backdoors running on your linux system today :D

Chances are reduced if you stick to mainline and popular distros and dont run around installing random packages.... its a bad habit copied over from the Windows world.... :)

Shits, i only use ubuntu but that's seldom. Do i have false sense of security?

vishalrao said:
Of course, you have to be careful about the false sense of security...

Just because people yell its "open source" and anybody can view the code... most people go and install unknown packages from PPA/multimedia/small distros etc... hardly anyone reviews/checks the code...

There can VERY EASILY be backdoors running on your linux system today :D

Chances are reduced if you stick to mainline and popular distros and dont run around installing random packages.... its a bad habit copied over from the Windows world.... :)

1) to keep away from gaming and concentrate on doing something useful

2) Like the clean interface of ubuntu 9.10

3) Save 7k this time by opting for Ubuntu instead of win7 home premium (but I have buy windows at some point of time)

4) Finally, It just works. I haven't faced a single issue till now with ubuntu which I installed in December and this is the first time I have been using linux as primary OS for so long

Rockfella said:
Shits, i only use ubuntu but that's seldom. Do i have false sense of security?

Only if you go around installing random packages from "unknown" (less well known) sources AND you think "linux is safe" (no trojans/viruses) then yes, that is an example of "false sense of security" :D

Back