Wi-fi could be a thing of the past soon.......

mrmash

Disciple
uploadfromtaptalk1405533701364.jpg

A Mexican software company has managed to transmit audio, video and Internet across the spectrum of light emitted by LED lamps - at a data transfer rate of 10 gigabytes per second.

The technology can illuminate a large work space, such as an office, while providing full mobile Internet to every device that comes into the range of the light spectrum.

The technology, called Li-Fi or light fidelity, is presented as an alternative to Wi-Fi because it will maximize the original provided speed of the internet to offer safer data transfer and a transfer rate of up to 10 gigabytes per second.

The Li-Fi device circulates data via LEDs that emit an intermittent flicker at a speed imperceptible to the human eye. "As Wi-Fi uses cables to spread our connections, wireless transmission Li-Fi uses LED lamps that emit high brightness light," said Arturo Campos Fentanes, CEO of Sisoft in Mexico.

Another advantage in comparison to Wi-Fi is that there is no way to hack the signal since the internet is transmitted by light, there is no way to “steal it”.

Furthermore, it can be installed in hospitals areas that use radiation apparatus and generally block or distort internet signal, Fentanes said.

With this new technology expansion through the market is sought, with lower costs and a service increased by five thousand per cent internet speed.

Currently in Mexico the highest transfer rate is 200 megabytes per second. Just to get an idea, with Li-Fi you could quickly download an entire HD movie in just 45 seconds.

Also known as visible light communications (VLC), this technology began with an internet speed of two Gigabits per second, but Sisoft along with researchers from the Autonomous Technological Institute of Mexico (ITAM) adapted the system to be multiplied five times.

Fentanes explained that the first experiments were conducted with audio, in which a cable is connected via 3.5 mm audio Jack from a smartphone to a protoboard table to transform the auditory signal in optical waves.

That way a special emitter transmits data across the spectrum of light generated by an LED lamp and is captured by a receptor located in a speaker that reproduces sound.

For wireless internet transmission, the mechanics is similar. The station developed by Sisoft stands above the router device that distributes the internet signal and a lamp-LED is incorporated to maximise the speed of data transfer.

Light will emulate an antenna, but only the electronic apparatus that has the receptor for the "optical audio" signal and is inside the range of the halo of light will have a connection.

So does it mean I have to carry the LiFi LED Torch with me to my washroom which will in turn be connected to the Wifi network since this technology will only work with direct line of sight. :p

All of the above and as of yet it can be disrupted by sunlight too. But look at it as a nascent technology. Its going to improve by leaps and bounds in the days to come. :)

How much will these led li-fi enabled bulbs cost. One is required in every room where its needed.

On the other hand this is also using power line tech to transmit data, all houses have electrical sockets in them so this is an easy way to avoid rewiring. Only niggle is power line tech is still getting up to speed, in the lab they might get 10 GB per second but you will be lucky to even get 10MB per second currently and that too diminishes depending on the length of wire from source to client.

Line of sight limitations. If I move my laptop to somewhere where it could not see the LED bulb my connection will drop. I have an Idea#1, lets feed the internet to the core of the Sun and the entire Solar System can be connected. At least to huge distances extending to some distant planets which do not receive sun shine that much. Obviously the speed will be very less on Neptune. On earth during the day, half of the globe will be able to connect and will get disconnected in the night (lol). Idea# 2: People on the other hemisphere will then use this LED bulb and can connect with the people on the opposite side of the planet in the day via the Sun.

Last edited:
I have an Idea#1, lets feed the internet to the core of the Sun and the entire Solar System can be connected.
I know you're kidding, but the amount of visible light spectrum limits your bandwidth, so feeding everyone on earth with that same limited bandwidth will be really slow ;)

Back