Wi-Fi lappy / Wired pc / airtel broadband / how to?

hi guyz,

well the problem is very simple but im a total noob at networking stuff :ashamed:

currently im using airtel bb (220BX1 ADSL2 MODEM) for accessing internet on my desktop pc. i just bought a new dell lappy last saturday and want to access techenclave while sitting on my couch :) so i need a setup through which i can access internet on my desktop (wired) as well as on my lappy (wifi)

can someone help me setting up this thing. i need a wi fi router which also supports wired connections. please mention model# as well...im too greedy :rofl:

one of my networking friend told me that netgear wi fi routers are better than linksys when it comes to accessing the internet across the floors. he said netgear offers better reception across floors...IS IT TRUE?

TIA

H@cKer said:
any proofs^o

dont blindly type shit

I hv a netgear wifi router and it is very good both in terms of range as well as speed.;)

Ok good for you. I have a netgear modem and it overheats and drops connections here and there.

@OP, I've the linksys WRT54G and its rock-solid. The WRT54GL has the linux firmware and its much more stable than the regular one.

guyz does it make any difference if u access wi fi across floors? my home is at 3rd + 4th floor of the building. do i need to buy any specific router or any one will do?

I'm not sure what you meant by the red cross in the second diagram. You can't avoid the modem altogether, unless you have an ADSL2 modem with wifi router inbuilt (both in the same device).
You already have a BB modem, right? If yes, just buy a router and the follow the first setup.

You can skip using the Beetel modem if you buy a modem + wireless router, also known as a gateway. If that's what you're looking at, try the Linksys WAG54G2 or the WAG160N.

@hp-india

i already have 220bxi adsl 2 modem that was supplied by airtel itself.

@Edrill

thanks for making it clear, but i already have a bb modem so i dont think i need a gateway besides gateway will be more expensive than normal wi-fil router.

so i guess i just need to buy a linksys wi-fi router and i am good to go.

whats the difference b/w following routers?

1) WRT54GL

2) WRT54G2

Also, which one is best suited in my case (internet across floors)?

TIA

Yeah, a gateway will be more expensive. As far as the GL and G2 go, both are good. Pick whichever one looks better to you!! Lol.

guyz, plz reply urgently as i will be buying this wi-fi router on saturday.

WRT54GL
Linksys WRT54G series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WRT54G2
Linksys WRT54G series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

G2 has half the ram (8mb) and half the flash memory (2mb) but it has higher clock speed (240 Mhz) as compared to GL (200 Mhz)

so memory wise G2 is superior while clock speed wise GL.

which one to buy?

my frend was stuck with same problem so he contacted Airtel and they charged 1000/- extra and installed wi-fi modem so no problems now...plus a free wi-fi zone..

Back