Wierd Network Issue, HELP PLEASE !!!

achadha7

Disciple
I have a DSL connection at home with a Wifi Router, I need to extend the range of this router. the easiest way I could think of was to run a long network cable from the DSL router to another room and plonk in another wireless roter there. Well this should work, since both the routers have been given different names, different SSID's and Channels to work on .
this is how the setup is

DSL Router Port 1 --> Wifi Router A Room 1--> Wired PC & Wifi Laptops
DSL Router Port 2 --> Wifi Router B Room 2 --> PC & Wifi Laptops

Now the Router B does not get an IP (DHCP) from the DSL router. I have swapper out the Wifi Router A & B and the new Setup would be

Scenario 2
DSL Router Port 1 --> Wifi Router B Room 1 --> Wired PC & Wifi Laptops
DSL Router Port 2 --> Wifi Router A Room 2--> PC & Wifi Laptops

Scenario 3

DSL Router Port 2 --> Wifi Router B Room 1 --> Wired PC & Wifi Laptops
DSL Router Port 1 --> Wifi Router A Room 2--> PC & Wifi Laptops

In both cases the Router A does not work.
to eleminate the Cable and the port I hooked up the laptop to the wire in Room 2 and that worked flawlessly,

Scenario 4

DSL Router Port 2 --> Wifi Router B Room 1 --> Wired PC & Wifi Laptops
DSL Router Port 1 --> Wired Laptop 1n room 2
Scenario 5
DSL Router Port 1 --> Wifi Router B Room 1 --> Wired PC & Wifi Laptops
DSL Router Port 2 --> Wired Laptop 1n room 2

Can someone please help
:huh::huh::huh:

notworking.png

Instead of connecting the second router directly to the DSL modem, connect it to the first router. It will work. You'll just need to change the IP of the second router so that it's not the same as that of the first and you're good to go. I'll draw you a diagram in a bit and post it on here. Till then, can you let me know which routers and which modem you're using??

First of all, what are you using as "modem". Is it a pure modem or a gateway (modem+router) ? Until you tell that this issue can't be solved.

Things to be kept in mind

->If you are using gateway device, it shouldn't have dhcp enabled.
->The default device IPs of the routers must be same, you should change them as they would give IP conflict and only 1 out of the two would work.

Back