Wifi 802.11 question?

Hi,
Have a quick Wifi noob question.
How can I check if my lappy supports the 802.11n Wifi specification? Or is a laptop independent of this?

Thanks. Have found that it does support the 802.11n standard.
However was wondering if it is really worth trying to get a 802.11n router in India? (considering that the speeds we get are in the kbps range).

in internet access it wont make any difference at all whether you use g or n, or even b for that matter..
you will find better spped for file transfer over wlan if you have a desktop or a second laptop connected to the network

Check this . I got the DLINK DI 615 Draft n for $39.99 i.e <2k :D. Now it costs $44.5 :S.

Try getting one via KMD route imo he should be able to get you one for ~3.1k.

Dont really know much about the various brands of Wifi routers.
Any recommendations on which would be a better choice Linksys/NetGear/D-Link/Buffalo?

1st of All its not at all a smart idea to switch to 802.11n network.. N is not a ratified certifications.. its N Draft Standard..

...2ndly for ur Home Use why do u want N Network? If you go for N Router u'llhave to buy an N Adapter which can connect to ur Router @ N Speeds... and this is not gonna affect your internet speeds or dload speeds.. it just matters with the higher connectivity speeds within the LAN that you get connected wirelessly.

...2ndly, its not a good idea to shift to N as there are hell lot of Compatibility issues..

...If you have Linksys N Adapter and u have a D-Link N Router or vice versa.. nobody will assure you on their compatibility...not D-Link or Linksys.. its worth it only if you go for N Starter Kit ie. N router with its own same company's N Adapter which is inclucded in the Kit.

I'd suggest go for DKT-410 which includes DIR-635 with DWA-140.

If you have N Router with ur default b/g builtin wireless this is what will happen:
... The router will broadcast N wireless signals but ur lappie's card will get connected only @ B/G mode and that too only if router has this mode called "802.11b,g,n mixed mode" or else you'll have to change the mode to "802.11g only or b only" and doing this doesnt make sense to move N router...

...getting my point???

Both the lappys have support for 'N'.
However decided on a G router because it does not seem worth the high cost (dont really need that much speed I guess) for a home network as you mentioned.

Yup kewl.. smart choice :)
Boot_Comp said:
Both the lappys have support for 'N'.
However decided on a G router because it does not seem worth the high cost (dont really need that much speed I guess) for a home network as you mentioned.

Back