Wifi device query for Triband

arzandaru

Disciple
I have a desktop with MTNL internet ADSL connection. I also have a default modem which came with my MTNL connection. Now the thing is that I am soon going to get a Wi-Fi laptop too. I want to share the same internet connection between my desktop & soon to come lappy. My desktop would be connected by LAN as it is now, while for my laptop I want to set up a wireless connection.

My question is do I have to compulsorily buy a combo (Modem + Wireless Router) device for my ADSL connection or will buying any wireless router will suffice my needs?
Please also recommend me the model for the same with good range for use within my 2bhk home.

Thanks in advance.

hi there.

1. you can buy a adsl + wifi combo, which will cost you a bit and solve the full thing in 1 shot.

2. if the adsl modem is from mtnl, let it be as-is, buy a simple wifi access point from dlink/ linksys etc (starting at 1800 rs). Now take ur ethernet wire from the adsl and connect it to one of the four ports on the wifi access point (not the one they call internet access port) and thats it. just set an encryption key and you are ready to go. no need to do any other settings on wifi unit. also disable dns and dhcp onn wifi unit. ur laptop will behave as if it is directly connected to the adsl modem.

Cheers! PvD/ PO - You decide :D

buffalo whr hp 54 workin fine for me......ill suggest u to go for n series model now...it has thrice the range than 'G' one which i m using...will set u bak by 3.5k......cheaper model would b to go for dlink and all....but have heard lot of complains frm mtnl regarding mtnl modem

no need to buy additional router. MTNL itself provides wifi router. Just deposit ur present modem and take wifi router. Ull b charged Rs 25/- PM extra in the bill. I m using the same mtnl wifi router for my laptop and my desktop

Back