PC Peripherals Wifi Dongle for Linux?

Hello

I am using this dongle for linux and it works fine. But i get download speeds of 6 MBps.

I am looking to buy a dongle that can support the full capacity of my 200mbps connection for linux.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Is it a desktop or a laptop? If desktop, I would suggest you to go for a PCIe WiFi card. You can get RP-SMA Coax extension cable and position the antennas for better reception.

Or you can get a better USB dongle with high gain antenna, like T2U Plus or T3U Plus.

Last edited:
Is it a desktop or a laptop? If desktop, I would suggest you to go for a PCIe WiFi card. You can get RP-SMA Coax extension cable and position the antennas for better reception.

Or you can get a better USB dongle with high gain antenna, like T2U Plus or T3U Plus.
Alright I'll look for a pcie card. But all of my slots are being used so i think I'll have to go for a dongle.

Thanks

It seems more lika a range / 2.4vs5GHz problem than your current dongle problem. See if better positioning of your current router helps. You can also try getting a USB Extension cable and plugging your current
dongle into it and see if repositioning helps.

It seems more lika a range / 2.4vs5GHz problem than your current dongle problem. See if better positioning of your current router helps. You can also try getting a USB Extension cable and plugging your current
dongle into it and see if repositioning helps.
I'm not sure if it's a range problem. I always got the same download speeds with that dongle

I also have a different one that supports 150 Mbps but it never catches the signal ... Although i never got the official driver for it.

I think i found a Linux driver for ac1300 so I'll go with that.
. Thanks

I'm not sure if it's a range problem. I always got the same download speeds with that dongle

I also have a different one that supports 150 Mbps but it never catches the signal ... Although i never got the official driver for it.

I think i found a Linux driver for ac1300 so I'll go with that.
. Thanks

Out of box in kernel or do you have to install it ? Would be interesting to see how well this works in linux, hopefully oob.

I am using TL-WN722N bought 9! years ago and it works fine but average speed it gets also seem to be around 59mbps vs max 100 or so ( different room). Not sure, but maybe linux speeds are higher because i remember getting steady 9-10 MB/s during a download.

Out of box in kernel or do you have to install it ? Would be interesting to see how well this works in linux, hopefully oob.

I am using TL-WN722N bought 9! years ago and it works fine but average speed it gets also seem to be around 59mbps vs max 100 or so. Not sure, but maybe linux speeds are higher because i remember getting steady 9-10 MB/s during a download.
I was actually talking about 722N itself. That doesn't catch signals in Linux (bad driver) and behaves badly in windows as well. Ranges from 10-22MBPs.

Yeah even I'm wondering how it'll turn out in Linux

I was actually talking about 722N itself. That doesn't catch signals in Linux (bad driver) and behaves badly in windows as well. Ranges from 10-22MBPs.

Yeah even I'm wondering how it'll turn out in Linux
They seem to update the chipsets without changing name. Only version changes.
Mine has good oob support in linux, but definitely does not get 22 MBPS.

That's why i just put above 2 tp link ones in wishlist for now but haven't bought because linux support is unclear.

NOTE - I had trouble with a tp link device ( not sure, this one or small one ) - in windows only. Driver reinstalls did not help. Windows reinstall ( along with platform change) worked somehow.

Last edited:
In the past, I found it best to use a low-cost access point as a wireless bridge and connect it through the ethernet port. The hardware is more robust and more reliable than any USB adapter.

I got the idea from the wireless adapters that were sold seperately for consoles, before they had built-in wifi. They would plug into the ethernet port on the console.

In the past, I found it best to use a low-cost access point as a wireless bridge and connect it through the ethernet port. The hardware is more robust and more reliable than any USB adapter.

I got the idea from the wireless adapters that were sold seperately for consoles, before they had built-in wifi. They would plug into the ethernet port on the console.
+1

had used a cheap TP Link router in wireless bridge mode before shifting to Deco.

Nice idea. Have never used AP before, any decent one that you recommend with good value/perf ? I use 100mbps which seems enough, but more is good. Op has 200mbps.
Only con for this is that it will use mode desk space and will need to be powered, but great for linux + less hassles.

Also, is the device connected via ethernet from AP on same local network as other devices connected via wifi directly ?

Also, is the device connected via ethernet from AP on same local network as other devices connected via wifi directly ?

Yes, the wifi access point in wireless bridge mode basically works as a USB adapter, it'll grab a DHCP lease from your main router and assign it to your ethernet port. It's limited to a single connection, so you'll need one for every wired device, even if the access point has multiple ports.

Some models will have a manually set IP for the access point itself if you want to access the login page, other models require a hard reset to get out of wireless bridge mode.

All of the wifi routers I've owned, I've only ever used them as access points or wireless bridges and they've been very stable. The less you ask from consumer devices, the better they perform. So no routing, no firewall, no wifi repeating. Just broadcast and receive and bridge with ethernet.

That's because I've always had a seperate device for routing/firewall: https://techenclave.com/threads/the-anti-showoff-thread.110103/page-32#post-2508292

I have Mi routers as access points and 300mbps tplink devices as wireless bridges, those are nearly 10 years at this point and still working well.

What is the smallest portable option ?

I use TP-Link's usb powered travel router, it works well for those USFF PCs that have a white list for wifi cards, so connecting through ethernet solves that problem.

Back