Wifi Extended/Repeater buying suggestion

desidude

Recruit
Hello,

I just installed a JIO Fiber connection in my office. It seems like I will need a router/repeater/extender that can support 100Mbps and provide coverage in an area of about 1000 square feet.

Which model/brand should I go for?

Thank you

Router/repeater range is advertised without walls. If there are walls in that 1000sqft space, you should use 4-6 WiFi access points and each access point should be hard wired to the main router through a gigabit switch if the Jio modem doesn't have enough ports. The number of access points depends on the number of people who will use them. If there's less than 10 people just 3 will be more than enough. If there's 20+ people you will need more. This is how I would do, but you are free to do what you want.

You don’t have to buy wifi extenders, you can get routers from Netgear or tplink archer and convert them to access points to extend wireless coverage.
Thank you, actually this seems like a better option, can you recommend a very good Netgear or TPLink router?

Router/repeater range is advertised without walls. If there are walls in that 1000sqft space, you should use 4-6 WiFi access points and each access point should be hard wired to the main router through a gigabit switch if the Jio modem doesn't have enough ports. The number of access points depends on the number of people who will use them. If there's less than 10 people just 3 will be more than enough. If there's 20+ people you will need more. This is how I would do, but you are free to do what you want.
Thank you which city are you located in? Maybe I can pay you for your help in installing if we are in the same city!
I presume a WiFi access point is a hardware item?

Thank you which city are you located in? Maybe I can pay you for your help in installing if we are in the same city!
I presume a WiFi access point is a hardware item?
I'm not a professional in this field. Ask your IT staff to do it. It should be simple. Get an app that tests WiFi signal strength (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manageengine.wifimonitor) in every corner of your entire office and note it down. Higher negative dbm means less signal. Example: -50dbm signal is stronger than -90dbm signal.
Good range is between -40 to -75dbm.

Once you know all the low signal spots you can distribute the routers accordingly. You can always get professional help for this if you're not comfortable with doing this inhouse.

Thank you, actually this seems like a better option, can you recommend a very good Netgear or TPLink router?
First you need to decide whether you want wired access point(AP) or wireless AP. Wired APs are easier to configure & works by default with most routers but wireless AP require more complicated configuration & require certain feature which not all routers have. Wired AP basically connect to main/primary router via ethernet/lan wire while wireless AP connect over wifi network itself to primary/main router.

I'm not a professional in this field. Ask your IT staff to do it. It should be simple. Get an app that tests WiFi signal strength (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manageengine.wifimonitor) in every corner of your entire office and note it down. Higher negative dbm means less signal. Example: -50dbm signal is stronger than -90dbm signal.
Good range is between -40 to -75dbm.

Once you know all the low signal spots you can distribute the routers accordingly. You can always get professional help for this if you're not comfortable with doing this inhouse.
Thank you, any recommendations for professional help in the Mumbai area?

Any recommendations on a great router which I can use in conjunction with the one provided by JioFiber to boost coverage?

I think I will go for a wired AP if possible.

Thank you

First you need to decide whether you want wired access point(AP) or wireless AP. Wired APs are easier to configure & works by default with most routers but wireless AP require more complicated configuration & require certain feature which not all routers have. Wired AP basically connect to main/primary router via ethernet/lan wire while wireless AP connect over wifi network itself to primary/main router.
Thank you

I think I will go for a wired AP if possible (depending on if I can get the hard wiring from the Jio Fiber router to the location I want to put the additional router at.

If not I will have to opt for a wireless AP

given that any recommendations?

Thank you

I think I will go for a wired AP if possible (depending on if I can get the hard wiring from the Jio Fiber router to the location I want to put the additional router at.

If not I will have to opt for a wireless AP

given that any recommendations?
For wired AP nothing much is required other than getting any typical wifi router which fits in your budget & has AP mode function(most routers do nowadays). For wifi AP you need to specifically buy a router which supports WDS feature & this info is unfortunately not advertised by manufacturers so you need to read buyers comments & read official pdf manuals to see if it is there. If you think it is risky for you to do this then you can go with typical wireless range extenders/repeater as mentioned above. Also keep in mind that you should buy only routers with gigabit lan ports because if you use a router as wired AP having 100mbps lan ports then it doesn't matter what your net connection speed is or wifi speed of that router is but net speed on that wired AP will be limited to 100mbps as that is what it will be getting via wire from the primary router. Same case with wireless repeaters/extenders where it is recommended to go with gigabit lan ports if such devices are having any lan port.

Tplink Archer C6/A6/C80/A9 (check price history on amazon by keepa extension), Asus AC59U (white model on sale currently on Amazon), all good value for money.

All these are good options, and support Access Point (AP mode) when set up as wired.
For wireless, I suggest the Deco M5 set for ease of setup.
If you need any help with setup, can guide you on call.

Tplink Archer C6/A6/C80/A9 (check price history on amazon by keepa extension), Asus AC59U (white model on sale currently on Amazon), all good value for money.

All these are good options, and support Access Point (AP mode) when set up as wired.
For wireless, I suggest the Deco M5 set for ease of setup.
If you need any help with setup, can guide you on call.
Thank you, do you mean I can call you if I need any help with setup?

Back