WiFi: Low Signal Strength

cowax

Disciple
:mad:
This has been bothering me ever since i got my wifi router and card. this is how the story goes.

Bro buys a D-Link dl-524 wifi router (54 mbps and 802.11b/g) and a D-Link DWL-G510 wifi card.
we install the router correctly, and also the card. NOW...my bro's pc is like 20feet away from mine (next room) and he gets a "Low Signal" 12mbps only, and frequently disconnects (like every 4 seconds). Its never constant.

Connection is on channel 3.

Security is none. (at the moment for testing. Tried all other ones, still not helping)

SSID broadcast is enabled.

Also...on his pc (where the wifi card is installed) he gets a notification saying "wifi connection available", with full signal strength, but only when it gets conencted it drops down to signal strength LOW with frequent disconnection.

need help on this ASAP, as its been a week now and still havent figured out whts wrong.:huh:

all help appriciated !!
thanks

Try moving the PC and see if the signal changes. If it improves with the PC closer, obviously signal is attenuating and you need to reposition the router. Else something in the card is borked.

hmmm, i think it might be the card , as the distance is hardly 20 feeet. i mean cmon, there are walls n all in the way,but i thot wifi was better than tht. should have stuk to cables after all damnit.

cowax said:
hmmm, i think it might be the card , as the distance is hardly 20 feeet. i mean cmon, there are walls n all in the way,but i thot wifi was better than tht. should have stuk to cables after all damnit.
20 ft is enuf to reduce signal strength significantly.

20 ft is enuf to reduce signal strength significantly.

maybe, but you shouldn't really notice any anomalies within a typical 1500 sq ft house with like a say 50X30 size even across walls....

Try placing the router a litlle away from corners or walls

I get at worst 2-3 strength bars wihin my house on a D-Link Di524 router

Channel determines the frequency only..

The short range may be due to interefrence from a nearby 2.4 ghz Cordless set ...

Try a different channel or better still, set channel selection to auto as that way, the router can set the frequency to the clenest channel

Apart from the usual trial & error method of getting a better signal which may be blocked or stopped on the way are you sure there arent any wireless devices in & around your area ?

Loading Netstumbler & surveying the area is a good start.

If yes then try setting your wireless device to a different channel far off from the other wireless device(s),preferable channels 1,6 or 11 depending on which channel the rest of the wireless devices are on.Netstumbler would help here to find out the channel which the others are on.

If this fails too then a driver un-install & install & see whether the prob is rectified.

Back