wifi problem

fastraj

Disciple
hey guys , i have an n79 and since its got wifi it can find & connect to available hotspots or open connection....the problem is after connecting i cant browse , it shows an error 'no gateway reply'. plz suggest me a solution..... i was gonna buy a wireless router for the n79 but currently on hold cause of this problem.also do i need a pc to configure the settings or does the phone do it by itself....thanks

fastraj,

You have to configure some basic settings on the phone. You dont need your PC to do this.

1. Define an access point.
2. Enter your WPA/WEP key if using encryption. etc..

Have you only tried from public places ? Have you tried from a Wifi network, the router of which you can manage ?

Dude the phone takes the setting from the wifi router or hotspot automatically and dude u need to select which method to use to connect to net in ur phone(via gprs or wifi).R u selecting the right method??

i have not tried it at a place where the router is in my control, but if i want to install a wifi router at home , can i configure it only with my phone or do i need a laptop?

H@cker;

yeah i do connect by wifi & not edge.....but i get the no gateway reply only when connecting via wifi.

Hey bro, getting a little confused here :

" can i configure it only with my phone or do i need a laptop?"
I guess u are reffering to configuring your router here, well you will need a laptop or a desktop to configure your router. Its on the router you will choose whether you want encryption for your wifi or not, the same setting will need to be replicated in your phone under 'access point'. In case you are not using encryption, creating 'access point' with 'network status' as public, 'WLAN netwk Mode' as infrastructure and 'WLAN security Mode' to open network should be sufficient.

In case you are securing ur WiFi network with WEP or WPA, you will have to enter the same key in the access point on the phone and configure 'WLAN Security mode' to either WEP or WPA

In my case I got the same error, as my phone was not able to get an ip address from router. Once I mannually configured the ip address in IP V4 Settings. As I had already taken care of the things above. It worked like a champ.

Hope this made sense..;)

1)Go in your router setyings and make sure that::eek:hyeah:
a)it's setup as a DHCP server (Auto configuration)
b)That their is a starting IP adress and that there are several DHCP user numbers available. (50 is ok)

2)Check what IP your PC or PC's have so that you can set a free IP adress to the phone.:eek:hyeah:
a)go to start, run and type: "cmd"
b)when it opens type: ipconfig/all and write down the "ip address"
and "subnet mask" and "default gateway"

3)Configure the phone as setup as above, but now configure the advanced settings.:eek:hyeah:
a)On the phone go to: tools, settings, connection, acces point, open the lan connection you just setup.
b)click "options" in the WLAN Connection you setup and go to "adavnced setiings".
c)Go into ipv4 settings and set:
-phone ip address: (type one that is not being used by your pc, usually a digit higher)
subnet maskthe one you wrote down)
default gatewaythe one you wrote down)

Should work now.:cool2:

Enjoy!:hap2:

Once you get a router at home it will be just click and connect. Dont worry. the reason why you cant connect to outside routers is that its got WPA or WEP passwords, which you dont have. So once you define the access point at home its very very easy. Let us know once you get the router and we can help then.

hey i got a belkin router , tried all which was mentioned above....though i dont get the same error message i still cant browse???

fastraj said:
hey i got a belkin router , tried all which was mentioned above....though i dont get the same error message i still cant browse???

Belkin routers are tough man...experienced it first hand...sometimes i just would'nt work

the router setup was pretty simple, i tried different security options....like wep 64 & 128 , wpa & wpa2...also tried with security disabled. i have also tried manually entering the settings!! the phone can see all wifi networks with ease & after entering the password it does get connected ...& access point is also made ...the issue is after getting connected it cant browse the net ,tried even opera.

and this happens every time when ever it sees a wifi connection.....thats why i thought of buying a router a nd try it for myself....but the result is the same....tried google but the solutions worked for some a nd not for me.....any more suggestions.

Back