Wifi router for Hathway internet connection

Game24

Disciple
Hello, I am a complete noob as far as modems n routers r concerned, So please bear with me.

I am looking forward to buy a wifi modem/router for my internet connection. I have a hathway internet connection, cable.

So which one should i go for???

Wireless router or ADSL??

Looked at this kind of liked it for the design:

HTML:
http://www.flipkart.com/asus-rt-n12-lx-wireless-router/p/itmd6354btvnrxtz?pid=RTRD6352VX7RZSWG&ref=b5dd2c8b-796a-48cf-8a5d-64a403854d94

Will this be compatible for my hathway connection?? tHe link above -
Asus RT-N12 LX Wireless Router

And also please clear few of my doubts.

1. What is dd-wrt??
2. And if a modem has usb ports can i connect my hard disk to it so that it can automatically download stuff on it??
3. What does N150 indicate, rather 150mbps?? And what does 300mbps indicate>? does it have anything to do with the range??

Please send in ur suggestions. My budget is Rs 2500/- (MAX)

Thanking evryone for helping out :)

Am too on hathway.Where are u based
You won't need an ADSL modem.A simple wireless router would do.
1. What is dd-wrt??
2. And if a modem has usb ports can i connect my hard disk to it so that it can automatically download stuff on it??
3. What does N150 indicate, rather 150mbps?? And what does 300mbps indicate>? does it have anything to do with the range??
@vivek.krishnan can explain better,an ex-hathway user.
dd-wrt is a Linux based firmware that allows you to modd the router into a torrent downloader that won't require you to keep your pc on to continue your downloads
The downloads go into your hard disk as you wish

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from Kandivali (W). Which router would support that direct downloading to the hard disk?? The Asus RT-N12 LX Wireless Router will help me do that?? Suggestions please

@Game24 You can use any router which has a Ethernet WAN jack for Internet inorder to use it for Hathway. However, ensure that you set the router in AP ~ Access Point mode. In this method, the modem will do the authentication and assign IP address to your devices.

However, for downloading, would suggest to pick up a N13 U B1 for about 3k from prime ABGB. You will also need to do some linux hacking if you want the best out of the router, else you can continue with the stock firmware.

If you do not mind having an additional device for downloading, go for any router of your choice (ex ASUS N10) and pick up a Seagate Go Flex Net being sold by varkey for the downloading.

i have hathway home broadband.. plan ultra 512kbps unlimited 2200/6months

i have heard that hathway uses cisco modems and our line ie cisco co-axial modem are locked for only one mac id..
so if we connect a router with the pc and shares the internet via wifi, then it blocks our account..

Is it true...

Most routers allow you to spoof the MAC address of the PC on the router's WAN port, so you should still be able to go online with the router.

Most routers allow you to spoof the MAC address of the PC on the router's WAN port, so you should still be able to go online with the router.

can u suggest me good router which can spoof mac id
can u say how to setup the router to spoof mac id

You can call up hathway and request them to release your Mac Binding as i have done.Just an another option.
Get a simple wireless router or the one's mentioned by vivek according to your requirement
i.e if you just need a simple dumb router get a cheap one below 1k or if you want a smart router that will download files even when your PC is off which will cost you more than 2k.
Once you have decided upon the router and bought it,u'll find everything in the manual of how to configure.
If any help is needed in configuring,u have people here who can help you.

can u say step by step procedure and wifi router name/model which should i buy

pls giv me step by step procedure..i dont know any thing about modems and routers.

Any basic router should do the job. Would advice you to get a Belkin/ASUS/TP-LINK model preferably. Once you get it, connect the LAN cable from the Hathway modem to your router, and put your router in Automatic mode (which it should be by default).

It would be easier to give you a solution if you give me an idea as to how your present system (modem) is and how it works.

Any basic router should do the job. Would advice you to get a Belkin/ASUS/TP-LINK model preferably. Once you get it, connect the LAN cable from the Hathway modem to your router, and put your router in Automatic mode (which it should be by default).

It would be easier to give you a solution if you give me an idea as to how your present system (modem) is and how it works.

i have cisco co-axial modem dpq2160. A co-axial cable comes to modem and then a lan is connected to pc.

I need to login daily on hathway login page using id and password, they provided.
The ip address remains same for 1 whole day..need to login daily..

When i login to hathway acc, there is one option called service usage here we can see our account details wotih service usage..There is one more line written
MAC Address :
And a mac id is written...
When i go to cmd, and type getmac to see my pc mac id, it also gives a mac id...
But the above two mac ids are completely different

i have cisco co-axial modem dpq2160. A co-axial cable comes to modem and then a lan is connected to pc.

I need to login daily on hathway login page using id and password, they provided.
The ip address remains same for 1 whole day..need to login daily..

When i login to hathway acc, there is one option called service usage here we can see our account details wotih service usage..There is one more line written
MAC Address :
And a mac id is written...
When i go to cmd, and type getmac to see my pc mac id, it also gives a mac id...
But the above two mac ids are completely different

OK. The MAC ID that is being displayed in your cmd>getmac command is the mac address of the onboard LAN, not that of the modem.

Now, to use the router with your current system, all you need to do is connect the LAN from the modem to the router WAN port instead of the PC. Take a wire from the other ports on the router to your PC.

Each time you open any page on your PC/mobile, it will show up the same page and you will need to enter your login details.

If you want to bypass this page and do automatic filling, you will need a router which is DD WRT compatible and the proper script for your hathway. This will take some time if a current script is not there on the net. I think @Charun can help you out too.

i just called at hathway office.. and they said i can connect a router without any probs..
I asked for router, they said its for 2000/- including installation...
They are giving dlink router with 4lan port and 1 wan port...(he didn't speciifed model name)

just checked on flipkart for 1943/-
D-Link DIR-615 Wireless-N 300 Router | Router | Flipkart.com
ithink so they must giving this only, or they may be giving adsl+router one..dont know

when i asked about other router, he said that it must be compatible to our technology and it must have 4lan and 1wan port..
shud i take from him or shud i go with above one or this one will do
Netgear WGR614 Wireless-N 150 Router | Router | Flipkart.com

which one will support dd-wrt..

i just called at hathway office.. and they said i can connect a router without any probs..
I asked for router, they said its for 2000/- including installation...
They are giving dlink router with 4lan port and 1 wan port...(he didn't speciifed model name)

just checked on flipkart for 1943/-
D-Link DIR-615 Wireless-N 300 Router | Router | Flipkart.com
ithink so they must giving this only, or they may be giving adsl+router one..dont know

when i asked about other router, he said that it must be compatible to our technology and it must have 4lan and 1wan port..
shud i take from him or shud i go with above one or this one will do
Netgear WGR614 Wireless-N 150 Router | Router | Flipkart.com

which one will support dd-wrt..

all you have to do is insert the lan cable coming out of your cisco modem into the WAN port of this router.
then can access internet by using wifi or connecting computer to one of the 4 lan ports.

The best choice for you is tp-link wr740n
1)it is a 4-lan port 1-wan port router
2)It supports dd-wrt
3)has all the features of the netgear/dlink routers you mentioned
you should get one from lamington road for rs. 950/-
I have one, and am totally happy with it. looks cool too
nt-tplink-wr740n.jpg
TL-WR740N.jpg

all you have to do is insert the lan cable coming out of your cisco modem into the WAN port of this router.
then can access internet by using wifi or connecting computer to one of the 4 lan ports.

The best choice for you is tp-link wr740n
1)it is a 4-lan port 1-wan port router
2)It supports dd-wrt
3)has all the features of the netgear/dlink routers you mentioned
you should get one from lamington road for rs. 950/-
I have one, and am totally happy with it. looks cool too
View attachment 13045
View attachment 13046

Thanks..
but i am not from mumbai..
can u suggest it online...
and i f possible to go mumbai..from which shop, can i get it for 950 on lamington road..
the shops at lamington road are safe to buy or its grey market..(dont know abt it)

and i f possible to go mumbai..from which shop, can i get it for 950 on lamington road..
the shops at lamington road are safe to buy or its grey market..(dont know abt it)
Try ebay, you might get it for somewhere 1k,apply some 100Rs off coupon.
Flipkart is selling it for Rs.1044 which was 1017 when i was about to purchase
TP LINK 150Mbps Wireless N Router | Router | Flipkart.com
The router is cheap,not a grey market item at all.I had bought it for Rs.900 from Lamington. I think he was a direct dealer for TP link in Lamington
And yeah,Lamington is a safe place to buy any computer stuff if you buy from the shops.

Back