WiFi router purchase Advice

TigerKing

Disciple
Using this router at the moment.
Currently using neighbors Jio Fiber with ₹399 plan (shared), with "WDS Bridging" (Setting Emulator>Wireless>Wireless Settings>Enable WDS Bridging"

Model - TL-WR740N V4 150M Wireless Lite N Router
Firmware - 3.17.0 Build 150105 Rel.61576n
Product Page Link - https://www.tp-link.com/in/support/download/tl-wr740n/v4/
Setting Emulator - https://emulator.tp-link.com/wr740n_ina_4.2/Index.htm

Facing problems like frequent disconnection due to WiFi channel mismatch and range issues. Also slow speed on 2.4 GHz band (5 GHz not supported)
Want to buy router for 700 sqft 1BHK.
Which supports Jio fiber, Airtel fiber or any other internet service provider.
Can I opt out WiFi router when getting new Jio/Airtel fiber connection? will this reduce overall amount?
Are these Jio/Airtel routers overall good compared to TP-Link, D-Link, Mi etc.?

Do I need WiFi 6 router?
I heard news about WiFi 7. WiFi 7 routers prices will be high initially but WiFi 7 launch will reduce WiFi 6 prices, right?
I don't know do I need WiFi 6 router compared to WiFi 5?

I will be continue using neighbors Jio Fiber even after router purchase. So new router should support Bridge Mode, Access Point mode, Repeater Mode etc features.

considering NEW WiFi 6 routers available at lowest price.

considering NEW WiFi 5 routers available at lowest price.

budget not set because of confusion over WiFi standards.
But basic need will be 30 mbps speed through neighbors Jio fiber on 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz bands and Bridge Mode, Access Point mode, Repeater Mode etc features.

Thank you.

To use WiFi6, your devices too need to support WiFi6. See if your devices support WiFi6.

It is good to have but there won't be any practical benefit of WiFi 6 on 30Mbps plans. Maybe a bit reduced latency.

If you and your neighbour are okay with sharing WiFi, you can opt for a 100 or 150Mbps plan and split the cost. Is it possible to run a wire from your neighbour's router to yours?

If not, then how far apart is it? As you said, WDS worked, it means it can't be that far.

If you have the budget, you can opt for a mesh setup like TP Link Deco M4, you can keep one connected to your neighbour's router, the other in your residence. Mesh is kinda like WDS, but on steroids. It works very well.

These are your opinions if you want to share the internet.

If you want to get your own Jio Fibre, you have to use their Gateway device (Modem+Router+AP). You can disable the WiFi on the Jio Gateway and connect your own router/AP to it. If this is what you want to do, wait for others who might give better suggestions on which router to choose.

To use WiFi6, your devices too need to support WiFi6. See if your devices support WiFi6.

It is good to have but there won't be any practical benefit of WiFi 6 on 30Mbps plans. Maybe a bit reduced latency.

If you and your neighbour are okay with sharing WiFi, you can opt for a 100 or 150Mbps plan and split the cost. Is it possible to run a wire from your neighbour's router to yours?

If not, then how far apart is it? As you said, WDS worked, it means it can't be that far.

If you have the budget, you can opt for a mesh setup like TP Link Deco M4, you can keep one connected to your neighbour's router, the other in your residence. Mesh is kinda like WDS, but on steroids. It works very well.

These are your opinions if you want to share the internet.

If you want to get your own Jio Fibre, you have to use their Gateway device (Modem+Router+AP). You can disable the WiFi on the Jio Gateway and connect your own router/AP to it. If this is what you want to do, wait for others who might give better suggestions on which router to choose.
TBH, I don't have any devices which support WiFi 6.

30 mbps Jio plan is temporary basis and it is shared and money is divided. As we are moving to new house, we will install jio fiber or any other fiber there.

Actually we can afford 100 mbps but they can't. And problem is that we don't have that many devices right now to use 100 mbps (15 MBps) fully. 4-5 MBps can be do utilized.
We tried connecting through wire but ports + 20 meter cat 5e cable giving problem.

mesh setup is good. but it's temporary setup as we are moving to new house (and new neighbors). We will be installing new fiber connection there.
I thought of getting repeater device from tplink or dlink. But pricing looked similar to normal wifi routers.

opinions>??

for gateway device, you have to disable DHCP and change LAN IP address next to their gateway address. like 192.168.0.2 etc

Any reason why you don't want the wifi on Jio Gateway and want to install another router?

Or is it that you want two separate wifi access point?

Or do you want to double NAT to reduce infiltration of Jio in your home network?

If you want 2 AP, I would still suggest you to go with mesh wifi, if you have the budget of 7-8k. It simplifies life so much, it just works.

If you want to double NAT, then others might suggest a better router to you, I'm not following the current routers available in the market.

PS: You cannot change much on Jio Gateway, the DHCP has to be enabled there, it can't be put in bridge mode, etc. So that has to be there, mostly on its default settings.

Any reason why you don't want the wifi on Jio Gateway and want to install another router?

Or is it that you want two separate wifi access point?

Or do you want to double NAT to reduce infiltration of Jio in your home network?

If you want 2 AP, I would still suggest you to go with mesh wifi, if you have the budget of 7-8k. It simplifies life so much, it just works.

If you want to double NAT, then others might suggest a better router to you, I'm not following the current routers available in the market.

PS: You cannot change much on Jio Gateway, the DHCP has to be enabled there, it can't be put in bridge mode, etc. So that has to be there, mostly on its default settings.
I can't access and manage devices connected to my wifi (B). Jio wifi router (A) is managed by the owner.

No. I use their wifi network in WDS Bridging mode, which needs only their WiFi name and password. And your device will work as access point. But if you want to manage your router setting then you need to change LAN IP.
try this link by TP-Link emulator

no NAT.
I'm just extending/repeating neighbors wifi router (A) with my router (B) 740N. Only possible way is through cable or WDS bridging in 740n router

Nothing on Jio Gateway. DHCP needs to be disabled in Access point mode if you want access Router settings.
In simple words.

I want to use repeater for 1 year.
After 1 year I want to use router.

So suggest some best budget router which can also be used as repeater or access point.
Thank you.

Last edited:
If you don't need Wifi 6, and if you don't have many devices then you don't, get TP Link Archer C7 for INR 4k. Supports WDS / AP mode / Router mode. I use a C7 in WDS mode and it works flawlessly.

You can also get an Archer A7. I believe the Archer A7 is the same as C7 but costs 1k less due to Amazon subsidy. But I haven't used it personally, so check the TP Link emulator to confirm the capabilities.

Back