WiFi router 'with or without modem'?

LDC

Disciple
Hi guys,
I have 'cable internet' at home on my desktop. There is not modem as such in my home but just the ethernet cable that comes from somewhere in the locality. So I don't know what kind of an internet connection I have.

I want to buy a modem/router (not sure the right term) so I can use a Galaxy S2 wirelessly with my home internet connection. I want to only order from Routers Price List India: Network Components: Flipkart.com

Can you help me with the right choice? I am getting confused in chosing

from the 'type' section.

You do not need a modem, as you have a direct Ethernet based connection. But just t be sure, how does your net connection work? Do you simply plug in the Ethernet Cable and connection is up, or do you have to use a dialer or proxy?

If your connection just works directly, you might need a simple WiFi Router. The Ethernet Cable goes into the WAN port of router and you can connect your Desktop to the LAN port of the Router.

Couple of valid options seem to be:

TP-LINK 150Mbps Wireless N White

Buffalo 150Mbps Wireless-N Wireless Router Entry Model

Belkin Basic Router (N150) (Black)

Netgear WGR614 Wireless-N 150 Router (White)

D-Link DIR-600L

Do you simply plug in the Ethernet Cable and connection is up, or do you have to use a dialer or proxy?

If your connection just works directly, you might need a simple WiFi Router. The Ethernet Cable goes into the WAN port of router and you can connect your Desktop to the LAN port of the Router.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

The connection doesn't work automatically if, let's say, I formatted my OS. I have to go to
irPUdXK2EJrpj.jpg

Then put in my username, password and service provider name so that it connections.

Here are a few more screenshots if that helps.
iGXwEkJmUfmKu.jpg

iEkoL6f9DNUJj.jpg

I think you have a ethernet based connection that needs signing on to access the net. If I am not mistaken, you can easily set that up in a wireless router. Just connect the ISP's ethernet cable to WAN port of router and setup your username and password in the WAN/PPPoE setup page of the router and you would be set.

I am not an expert, so I hope others can validate or add to this answer.

I think you have a ethernet based connection that needs signing on to access the net. If I am not mistaken, you can easily set that up in a wireless router. Just connect the ISP's ethernet cable to WAN port of router and setup your username and password in the WAN/PPPoE setup page of the router and you would be set.

I am not an expert, so I hope others can validate or add to this answer.
Well my cable guy has said that if I get the device he can send his guy to do 'some MAC address' thing. This is because previously he said if I ever had to buy a new motherboard I would have to 'register' it again. I think that's why friends's laptops never worked with my net even when the ethernet cable was connected to them.

He said if I did use a wifi router then I would be able to use any number of computer (wired too I hope?)

I am greatful to you anyways StillWaters. No one else has replied after almost a week anyways :)

Ahhh.. this means that your ISP has MAC binding, i.e., net connection will only work if the ethernet cable is plugged into original registered Network card on your computer. If you start using a WiFi router then they will need to register and allow the MAC address of that router. If the Cable/ISP guy is helpful, ask him to do the router set up for you. We can help you secure your WiFi settings later once its up and running for you.

You are welcome friend, I've had good help and advise from this forum and others. Its always satisfying to be able to help others and pay it forward.

so, I can go with any of the products you initially suggested right? So any products from the section 'wifi without modem' would do right?

so, I can go with any of the products you initially suggested right? So any products from the section 'wifi without modem' would do right?

I am reasonably sure that's right :). I would suggest that you do call up your ISP Tech Support and ask them also. Tell them the specific model numbers and ask them if they can be used with their connection, just to be sure.

Back