WiFi the home - Help on routers & Wifi PC Adapters

Hi guys

Would like your guidance in choosing a good VFM wireless router & 2 PC Wireless Adapters.

Requirements:

(A) Wireless Router
Maximum 4 PC & 2 Laptops-same floor-2400sq ft max range
Should be on 24 x 7 -so no heating problems & irritating restarts
Should work fine with a Airtel 220BX modem which is connected to one PC...or should i replace this modem too
Easy to use as my brother is a doctor & a total dud in computers
Should be within 5000INR

That is all

(B) PC Wireless Adapter
Should be on 24 x 7
should be within 1500INR

Thanking You & eagerly awaiting your reply

?doubtfire?

I have a Linksys WRT54G2 that's not been switched off except for PC upgrades or maintenance for the last three months, and no issues yet.

However be warned that 54Mbps=6.75MBps, so if you have a lot of devices on the network simultaneously it's gonna crawl, then you should get a N-rated device and adapters.

I use a mix of USB and PCI adapters, all from Linksys, and again I have no issues. The setup is pretty painful sometimes specially if you are running at very high security settings, if you keep an open network with slightly looser auth, no devices should have a problem. I also use my N85 for browsing on the same network, as well as my work laptop. I don't use the software application that comes with the adapters, preferring the Windows utility - but sometimes the USB devices don't see the network with it and I have to revert to using the application for them.

Overall, keeping the low cost in mind (total <7000 for router + 4 device adapters) I'm fairly happy. I am currently transferring about 135GB across the network to sync two drives, and this is going to take two days to do - so be warned. However I've not had a single case of dropped connections or network in the half day it's been on so far.

G=54Mbps

N=300Mbps

Check out the Linksys site for products. The total system setup cost is about 2x-2.5x that of G devices. I think they're called WRT300N and suchlike.

As for walls, I get signal through the inner walls but it drops off rapidly after the outer walls. There are two brick walls between the living room (router) and bedroom (laptop/phone) and I still don't have a problem, if you're having an issue with signal you'll need a bunch of repeaters.

i use a wrt54Gv7 myself, and they span two floors with a signal stength of 18%, and speeds of 5~10Mbps. when on the same floor, i get full 54Mbps and 100% range.

costs ~2.6k. there is a cheaper version with a single antenna, costs ~2k, but suggest you get the one with two antennas

the adapters will cost you 1.5k each , suggest you get linksys since they will work out of the box with the linksys routers

and also, even someone with some knowledge of networking will need some time and effort to get them to work right :p . I'd suggest your brother gets them installed by someone who knows this stuff. Once configured , you dont have to bother about them though :)

Ok that's a lot to hear & thanks to you guys for clarifying doubts about signal range of Linksys based devices.

So Sangram I wont be needing to look into N range of routers for this year since greenhorn gets range overall.Only when the network needs to be extended & times when we get good internet connection these devices are needed.

Also as mentioned by greenhorn it is clear one can work this up even after configuration.That is fine by me.

Also how about Buffalo range of products.Been hearing it a lot.Just not here.

Which would be better or cant there be any comparison between Linksys & Buffalo since they are eye to eye

It's not an issue of range, it's an issue of speed. The N devices may have some better range, but the primary problem with G-rated devices is the transmission speed, which is agonisingly slow for large amounts of data (but is fine for things like browsing and general computing, it's only half the speed of regular 100Mbps ethernet).

If you're not planning on moving more than 30-40 MB at a time, 54Mbps will be fine.

as sangram said , large file transfers will take ages. wi fi is best used for internet sharing , streaming video/music across pc's etc

^^

Greenhorn...sorry for not making my post clear

I wanted to know where i can get & at wat price the n range products in Chennai,Bangalore...Most preferably in chennai.

Well my brother took time off to visit Ritchie st.He has come to a conclusion to go for G range products since the adapters were costlier for him.

Can u suggest me model G Series adapter from linksys which should work 24 X 7 with WRT54G2.

TY

I recently changed over from Netgear router to Belkin for my house, which spanns two floors. The net connection is downstairs and I have my computer upstairs. Earlier with the netgear the signal was not too good and would be at low or very low. Now with the Belkin in place its much better with around 3 to 4 bars, which qualifys as good and very good. I got this router for around 1800 in Bangalore and it is a G version. My adaptor is a netgear one, but no problems setting it up.

You mentioned that your ISP is Airtel. Why don't you aske them to hook you up with a wifi router? They are charging only Rs. 1500 for the router and they are also installing it for free.

look out for Linksys G Starter Kits (which has 2 products... G Wireless router and a wireless adapter...whichis supposed to be cmpatible with that particular product and providing your special features like SUPER G mode, etc)

see if linksys has this kinda kits in India... D-Link has em for sure like DKT-110 / 100 which has a DIR-300/301 with a G Adapter.

Back