PC Peripherals Wifi to ethernet router advice

Hi, in my home the wise old builder has provided optical fiber infrastructure till a certain point only (thankfully it is at the center of the apartment, albeit in the loft), the connections do not extend to any of the points meant for work-stations or TVs. The ISP provides a modem-router, the wifi signal covers most of the apartment with acceptable strength. Being old-school, I also have a chunky desktop which I refuse to throw away. I have tried using a PCIE adapter as well as an USB adapter, but the experience has not been great, partly because of the buggy nature of the devices I used and partly because I am partial to the good old LAN setup (maybe because I belong to the college LAN-party era). Anyway, I was using a Tp-Link Wireless N Access Point (TL-WA901ND 2.4Ghz) happily for the last year or so, it has a nifty client mode which does the simple task of converting the wifi to ethernet. Now I have got a new ISP who provides 5Ghz signal and I need to buy a new device. While I was not expecting a lot of devices (my requirement being very simple), after a few hours of research I could only get one device that fits the bill (TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Mini Travel Router (TL-WR902AC)). While the device seems fine, it is altogether built for something different.

Please provide your suggestions and advice, in case you find my ramblings above boring, below are my requirements in a fit-to-ppt format:
  • Device should be able to act as a wifi to ethernet router for wired device like my desktop.
  • Preferably dual band (both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz support) but should at least support 5Ghz
  • Price range upto 4k
  • Should be easy for a someone with no networking background to set-up
If nothing fits the bill I will perhaps consider a PCIE solution begrudgingly.

Are you sure the new ISP device is 5GHz only? AFAIK 5GHz capable devices are dual-band, meaning they can serve over 2.4GHz also. This might need to be enabled on the ISP device.

Also, as a side note, is it feasible for you to just run an ethernet cable to your ISP provided device? You can buy 25-50m cable.

TP-Link RE205 AC750

what about something simple like this, 2000 bucks has a ethernet out, and you can disable the wifi repeater part

Are you sure the new ISP device is 5GHz only? AFAIK 5GHz capable devices are dual-band, meaning they can serve over 2.4GHz also. This might need to be enabled on the ISP device.

Also, as a side note, is it feasible for you to just run an ethernet cable to your ISP provided device? You can buy 25-50m cable.
Indeed and that is what most of my devices are using. But the 5Ghz offers way better speed.

TP-Link RE205 AC750

what about something simple like this, 2000 bucks has a ethernet out, and you can disable the wifi repeater part
This seems to be the best solution for now.

Back