Wii service in Bangalore ?

ratnamg

Disciple
My brand new Wii from the US, blew when I tried to use a plug type power down transformer. Cant figure out what went wrong. The MCB just tripped in the room that I was trying to use it. I have to know if some damage has been done to the console or the power adapter. Please help !! Is there someone in bangalore I can show it to ?

get the power adapter checked first....chk the output voltage (after conne cting it to a decent step down supply). If the output is zero, the adapter went kapoot. Then in that case order a universal roundp in adapter from play-asia.

The guy who I had requested to bring wii did the same and so did another guy I know, and as far as i remember, their MCB also went kaput. I just hope its the adapter that is screwed.

US electronics are 110Volts. India is 220 Volts. You need to use a voltage converter (just like for my brothers Xbox that he got from the US).

Is your problem is solved? I can help you in this. It happened with me also. and I replaced a component in power adapter. now I have connected it to direct 230v. Since from last one year I am using it and No problem.

If you are interested I can mod your Wii system.

Ok after getting lot of emails for help, thought of writing here details. But remember I am trying to explain what I did to my and one of my friends Wii adapter. This may or may not work for you. I am not responsible for any loss due to bellow solutions.

Actually the wii adapter is built to handle full range of voltage variations, i.e. Wii adapters all hardware components supports 100v to 300v. But Nintendo added a veristor component of 225v after the fuse. The veristor is connected in pallel to AC supply line and when AC supply goes beyond 225v this veristor will start conducting and hence create short circuit, which will blow the fuse connected before veristor in supply line.

.............Fuse 230V
...............5A............................---------------
AC in ------/\/\--------------------|..................|----------.(+)
...........................|..................|..................|
..........................---................|....................|
..AC in................./...Veristor..|...Adapter...|............To Wii
to Adapter.........---....225V....|......H/W......|............System
AC in------------------------------|...................|----------.(-)
..............................................-----------------
Plz ignore dots in above diagram.
In normal situation, when you connect to 230v supply, the veristor can block 225v and hence it will start conducting and hence huge current will flow through fuse and hence fuse will blow. Also due to high current, veristor will also blow. So if you are lucky only these componets will blow, when you connect to 230v AC.

Solution 1: You just short circuit the fuse and de-solder the veristor. But remember you will loose surge protection for your Wii adapter.

Solution 2: Replace fuse with "250V/5V PCB mountable fuse" and "270V veriastor". These 2 components are easily available in any electronic shop (In bangalore SP road, near Town hall).

After this, you are good to go to connect your wii adapter to 230v AC, without any problem.

The veristor information can be found at
LA Varistors - LA Series - Line Voltage Operation Radial Leaded Varistor - Littelfuse
Santy

@ ratnamg: how did you fix the problem. The same thing happened to me :( , the MCB tripped and now my console is not powering ON. i hope its just the power adapter. Very stupid of me

Take it to national market in Majestic, near Tribuvan theater. You can get a original Nintendo adaptor for Rs 900 or less and you can test it right there and if it works, well and good.

Back