Wikileaks on US war in Afghanistan, asserts ISI role in terrorism

Oh, the Americans know about it.. in fact, the CIA seems to have visited Lashkar training grounds in Pakistan.. as long as they only attack India, they are turning a blind eye to whatever goes on in that miserable excuse for a nation.

TechHead said:
Oh, the Americans know about it.. in fact, the CIA seems to have visited Lashkar training grounds in Pakistan.. as long as they only attack India, they are turning a blind eye to whatever goes on in that miserable excuse for a nation.
what kind of kool aid is cia drinking if it thinks that those paki terrorists are not going to attack US.

US know everything. They know that this document is being released. It seems there is a sinister objective in allowing to publish these documents - like justifying an attack on frontier provinces of Pakistan.

USA have to, after a few years pay off treasury bonds people /countries bought from them with interest - a payout which they have never faltered. At the moment, those bonds are almost like valueless paper. So, any war on terrorists, etc. etc. is just a reason. And there won't be all out wars, but just the type of skirmishes with Afganistan, Pakistan, Sudan, etc. An all out war will diminish all possibility of a full recovery of resources and money and thus business.

War is a bye product of extra exploitative variety of capitalism.

Such deception is common with all countries. Assuming this not the case even with the most ideal countries is foolishness, more so if it's for a country like the united states of America, given its political landscape and leaders over the past 60 years.

Let's look at why this news means anything to us. given the pullout over the next few years, i fear India may have to pay a big price given the elements.

while I am sure that the Indian big wigs are already thinking about this, I wonder why are we taking such a passive stance in the proceedings as a stable Afghanistan is in India's best interest.

US only consider anything against themselves as Terrorism. Rest all happening is nothing for them, they've given billions in the name of aid to Pakistan, which they themselves know are being spent in getting artillary to be used against India.

Aces170 said:
And yet they give multi billion dollar aides to that country.
Because there are currently no other viable routes to supply their troops other than to transit through 'that country'.

TechHead said:
.. as long as they only attack India, they are turning a blind eye to whatever goes on in that miserable excuse for a nation.
..incld weapons & acts against their troops supported by that 'miserable excuse for a nation'.
You agree the US is getting hammered much harder in Afghanistan than we are yes ?
Prole73 said:
They know that this document is being released. It seems there is a sinister objective in allowing to publish these documents - like justifying an attack on frontier provinces of Pakistan.
Past drones attacks already ? or did you have more in mind.

SharekhaN said:
Let's look at why this news means anything to us. given the pullout over the next few years, i fear India may have to pay a big price given the elements.
Why ?

Compare the 90's with no US presence in Afghanistan vs the noughties

which decade has more attacks directed at us ?

SharekhaN said:
while I am sure that the Indian big wigs are already thinking about this, I wonder why are we taking such a passive stance in the proceedings as a stable Afghanistan is in India's best interest.
What do you think we should do ?

Let the Pakis keep paying the Taleb.. sooner rather than later, they will turn on the hand that feeds them. We will be able to breathe easy then

@blr_p: One of the reasons is the Taliban. With the US gone, India is a great soft target to make news. + with increasing talibanization of Pakistan, the next logical target in their path is India. As much as we may want to think that they want the western civilization to bow down, logistical issues, and overall security is much better in the western countries. With a country like India, it isn't very difficult to set off a few bombs here and there.

I feel we should be involved in the war in Afghanistan, and help take out Taliban and help maintain whatever sort of government that may exist.

Because there are currently no other viable routes to supply their troops other than to transit through 'that country'.

Ahh, thats where the irony is, they are funding the Taliban to fight the US/NATO forces. I think Pakistan, would have officially supported US in any case, without the aid. They have no other option.

The report does mention about collateral damage, I think its the ugly but necessary side of the war. Guerrilla war tactics depend on the other faction avoiding collateral damage. There is no way you can counter it otherwise, their religious zealousness is beyond reason. (heck I wouldnt term it as religious but more of an intolerant mediveal mindset) US could not counter Vietnam, and will not be able to counter Taliban, if Pakistan un-officially aids them, and grants them sanctuary.

for the Americans, war is the BIG BUSINESS, the only thing thats keeping the country going.

this is why JFK was killed, NIXON had to resign ................... so on

Aces170 said:
Ahh, thats where the irony is, they are funding the Taliban to fight the US/NATO forces. US could not counter Vietnam, and will not be able to counter Taliban, if Pakistan un-officially aids them, and grants them sanctuary.
So its clear then, that the Paks hurt the US more in this conflict that us. In the sense that this conflict would not have endured for as long or be as costly with so little to show for. Iraq by comparison was turned around in half the time.

I brought this up because of earlier comments to the effect that US does not mind if India gets hit but its clear that the US is the biggest loser here isn't it. Therefore what ever little aid that the Paks get is not really significant as far as we are concerned.

SharekhaN said:
@blr_p: One of the reasons is the Taliban. With the US gone, India is a great soft target to make news. + with increasing talibanization of Pakistan, the next logical target in their path is India. As much as we may want to think that they want the western civilization to bow down, logistical issues, and overall security is much better in the western countries. With a country like India, it isn't very difficult to set off a few bombs here and there.
Which is why i asked to compare this decade with the last. Would you agree we got hit fewer times in the 90's than in the 00's, despite supporting Najibullah ?

We are not actively involved in the current conflict. So why would the Taliban want to attack us ?

If the US leaves, the only country that wants the Taliban in power is the Paks. US, Russia, China & ourselves are against that. This means the northern alliance would be supported indirectly by most of these countries to balance out the Taliban. There could be a civil war there or preferably the two factions will agree to share power and form a federation.

SharekhaN said:
I feel we should be involved in the war in Afghanistan, and help take out Taliban and help maintain whatever sort of government that may exist.
We don't have a border with Afghanistan, so how do we support our troops there ?

Your other two points are already covered by our ongoing non-military support there.

If the US leaves, the only country that wants the Taliban in power is the Paks. US, Russia, China & ourselves are against that. This means the northern alliance would be supported indirectly by most of these countries to balance out the Taliban. There could be a civil war there or preferably the two factions will agree to share power and form a federation.
I think China, and Russia have been funneling weapons to the Taliban. China is most content with its immediate neighbors losing their stability. Its hardly a wonder, that they funnel weapons to the Maoists.

Pakistan is already on the brink of talibanism. It's a matter of years before the nation is consumed given the political instability and high handed clerics. It's a doomed cause for a country and soon we are a nation sharing boundaries with the taliban.

I think its more beneficial for China to have a destabilized Indian subcontinent for it to position it self as the next economic super power.

^ Arms assistance to Taliban regime will eventually spillover to India, effectively dividing our defense forces internally and the Indo-Pak border... AFAIK China is wasting money on these tactics, just feed more money to Congress and its cronies, and they will do a good job to de-stabilize India, while building a facade of secular peace :p

SharekhaN said:
I think its more beneficial for China to have a destabilized Indian subcontinent for it to position it self as the next economic super power.
I thought China already is one! :ashamed:

Aces170 said:
China is most content with its immediate neighbors losing their stability.
Xianjiang and its restive Uighur population borders Afghanistan ?

You think Chinese would want this province to get more radicalised or should they just trust the Taliban's word. The risk is a bomb or two going off in Shangai or Beijing by a disgruntled seperatist.

Btw I left out Iran, they would not want the Taliban in power either. So that is pretty much everyone that matters against the Paks :)

sharekhan said:
Pakistan is already on the brink of talibanism. It's a matter of years before the nation is consumed given the political instability and high handed clerics. It's a doomed cause for a country and soon we are a nation sharing boundaries with the taliban.
Yet the army still retains control over key areas. It is said that Pakistan is an army with a country instead of being a country with an army.

This perception you mentioned actually entrenches the Pak establishment more in long run as they are seen as the 'good guys' in need of 'help'.

sharekhan said:
At what cost ?

Back