Budget 0-20k Will GPU upgrade help in Old desktop

You have 25% overclock on that processor from 3.5 to 4.4 GHz. It is working on it's full potential. If you have things running in the background I am sure the card will bottleneck.

Games do run fine on 4 cores, but remember your mouse, sound, network etc drivers are running on core 0, if you had 6 or 8 core processor, you can leave the core 0 dedicated to windows tasks and shift the game to the other cores. Game will still use the same amount of cores, but now you will have better frame times if you care about that stuff. FPS will remain the same, but the game does feel more smoother.

A slight bottleneck on GPU is no big deal, real problem begins when you card is only giving half the FPS it's capable of. :dead:
Yeah, as of now nothing in the background when I am gaming. I'll keep an eye out for 1% lows and hope Hardware Unboxed are correct when they say AMD gpus when paired with older CPUs actually give better 1% lows as they dont offload scheduling to CPU like nvidia GPU does.

Seeing the age 1080 has served its life. You are better off with a 3060ti or even a 2080 for a good bargain rates or 4060 if you wish to stick to the top releases.
STRONG DISAGREE!

I am still using the 1080Ti with my 5900X and works very well in the games I play (No RTX needed). 11GB VRAM buffer is plenty right now for 1440p.
In some cases it might still be better than 2060S and the likes. My friend's 2060 gives him so much more issues than my 1080Ti (All identical systems specs wise otherwise).

If you can keep it cool, the 1080Ti is still plenty. Remember the 1080Ti was on average slightly faster than the 2080 when the 2080 launched (Some say it was within 1% so let's call it a tie). The RTX 2080 only had 8GB VRAM buffer

@theagilecoder what games do you play? Display resolution and refresh rate?

Last edited:
If you can keep it cool, the 1080Ti is still plenty. Remember the 1080Ti was on average slightly faster than the 2080 when the 2080 launched (Some say it was within 1% so let's call it a tie). The RTX 2080 only had 8GB VRAM buffer
1080 Ti represent! I had two Arctic P12 slims feeding her fresh air in my sff case. Temps below 75C at full load.
Story based AAA titles. 1440p. Anywhere between 60-120 fps I'm happy.
The 11 gb vram in the 1080 Ti served me well at that resolution. Barring modern UE5 titles like Senua Hellblade2 and Alan wake, I often didnt need to turn on FSR to breach 60 FPS.
8 GB is a no no - infact many AAA titles start swapping textures even at 1080p high or just crash as shown by Hardware unboxed.
Going to RX 6800 was a logical upgrade given its 16 gb vram.

What about the power consumption/temps though?
My card doesn't reach over 70C over long gaming sessions. His card might, hence the remark.
If you can keep it cool, the 1080Ti is still plenty.
Power consumption: I don't think upgrading to something like 6800 is going to make any difference.
Nobody games 24x7 and not at 100% usage anyway. Only stress tests run near max TDP for a GPU.
For example, typical power draw difference of 50W (Not max TDP, but typical average power draw during gaming) with 4 hours of daily gaming will result in 2-3 units of electricity difference per month. Which is like leaving your geyser on for 2 mins more per day by mistake.

STRONG DISAGREE!

I am still using the 1080Ti with my 5900X and works very well in the games I play (No RTX needed). 11GB VRAM buffer is plenty right now for 1440p.
In some cases it might still be better than 2060S and the likes. My friend's 2060 gives him so much more issues than my 1080Ti (All identical systems specs wise otherwise).

Of course! But does it makes sense for him to buy a 1080 in this era? NO! Hence I suggested the very vfm options which could help him game while been light on pocket unless he got the big budget where he can invest in 4xxx.

But isn't he struggling with the gpu in few games?
1080? I think it was a typo by someone. I just had a 1080 Ti - was just showing its age with a couple of UE5 titles Alan wake 2 and Hellblade 2.
Got a good deaal with Rx 6800 locally - nearly 2x perf with same power usage. But love the 1080Ti, I think I'm gonna keep it - may use it in a egpu oculink mod I'm working with a spare laptop I have.

Attachments

• IMG_20240811_182427.jpg
    IMG_20240811_182427.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 9
Back