Graphic Cards will HD6670 run on local SMPS

Hello all,

In a flash decision i bought a 7770 after hearing it's super efficient and requires little power.
But when i recieved it i found it requires a pciex power pin. my tech-com PSU does not have the connector or the extra watts for that.

My SMPS is named as 450W but the wattage adds up to ~300W, with 10A on 12v rail.
So now i am wondering if a HD6670 will run off my current PSU with 10A on 12v rail and a sempron LE1100 and one IDE hard disk.
So out of 120 W on 12v, processor uses 45W and hard disk uses ~10W, so 65W is remaining, will it run if i put a 6670 on it and will it be safe?

i also have another old local smps with 14A on 12v rail, can i run it on this?

If not can you suggest a cheap PSU that will work. (After reading here i have come to realise the importance of a good PSU but i think in system like mine spending ~3k on a SPMS is not worth it.)
I will surely get a seasonic when i build a new rig.

6670 should run fine on your local PSU (either of them), but its risky as said. Its a no frill card and not necessarily requires a dedicated (read good) PSU. Just see if the ampeare rating is enough or not.

i would strictly advice against running the GPU with local PSU, have had bad experiences, finally bought Corsair and no issues in last 3 years.

10A on 12volt rail is too low even for a local PSU. The other old PSU with 14A on 12v rail will power up 6670 and system. You wont face any issues for several months, but after that your PSU might start troubling you.

If your budget is flexible enough then getting a Corsair CX430v2 or even a Seasonic S12ii 430 for about ~2.8k, will be more future proof.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Do not recommend the el cheapo Coolermaster PSU's please.
It's a risky situation as HD6670 eats 106W at idle AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 i'd recommend you to get a good 350-400W PSU.CM 350W-1.7k OR FSP SAGA 350W-1.6k[If available]

That was the cheapest available:p,I'm not getting why FSP discontinued their sagaII lineup.They were good psu's within less budget.If OP is ready to invest 2-3k then CX430V2 OR S12ii 430-3k are good enough.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Do not recommend the el cheapo Coolermaster PSU's please.

It's a risky situation as HD6670 eats 106W at idle AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 i'd recommend you to get a good 350-400W PSU.CM 350W-1.7k OR FSP SAGA 350W-1.6k[If available]
thanks jacob, but i was thinking of a cheap solution, if i really have to buy a PSU at that price (~1.6k) ill put some more money and buy a good 450-500 W one which will last me a long time.

10A on 12volt rail is too low even for a local PSU. The other old PSU with 14A on 12v rail will power up 6670 and system. You wont face any issues for several months, but after that your PSU might start troubling you.

If your budget is flexible enough then getting a Corsair CX430v2 or even a Seasonic S12ii 430 for about ~2.8k, will be more future proof.

Thanks chiragsthakur, i think ill buy the seasonic S12ii 430 then. Where is it available for that price? i only see ~3.3k.

Thanks to all others who pitched in with their views (warnings) :p
most people suggest against it so will try to get a new PSU.
If i get a 6670 can i just plug it in and check if its working without running any games off it, or will that be unsafe too.
Also does a card like 7770 that needs a PCIe power connector also draw power from the motheboard?

Here's a link for Seasonic S12ii 430W-3.3k-SeaSonic S12II 430 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
You'd try running few games on HD6670 cause sometimes game crashes due to bad gpu so you'd try it on games.
Yes the HD7770 does need to connect 6 pin PCI-E connector to power the gpu,It'll draw power from the psu.
Hope this helps.:)
thanks jacob, but i was thinking of a cheap solution, if i really have to buy a PSU at that price (~1.6k) ill put some more money and buy a good 450-500 W one which will last me a long time.

Thanks chiragsthakur, i think ill buy the seasonic S12ii 430 then. Where is it available for that price? i only see ~3.3k.

Thanks to all others who pitched in with their views (warnings) :p
most people suggest against it so will try to get a new PSU.
If i get a 6670 can i just plug it in and check if its working without running any games off it, or will that be unsafe too.
Also does a card like 7770 that needs a PCIe power connector also draw power from the motheboard?

Here's a link for Seasonic S12ii 430W-3.3k-SeaSonic S12II 430 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
You'd try running few games on HD6670 cause sometimes game crashes due to bad gpu so you'd try it on games.
Yes the HD7770 does need to connect 6 pin PCI-E connector to power the gpu,It'll draw power from the psu.
Hope this helps.:)
Thanks jacob. I see its available for 3.3k but chiragsthakur mentioned 2.8k so was asking him where its available for 2.8k.

Thanks for the tip, i thought if the fan spins then its okay, ill check it on a game then. :p

Does it power from PCIe connector only or PCIe connector + ~75W from motherboard ?

The prices have shot up badly so no one can give exact prices of components.The gpu will eat power from psu,No need worry since you're geting Seasonic S12ii 430W.Everything will run fine,Cheers.:)
Thanks jacob. I see its available for 3.3k but chiragsthakur mentioned 2.8k so was asking him where its available for 2.8k.

Thanks for the tip, i thought if the fan spins then its okay, ill check it on a game then. :p

Does it power from PCIe connector only or PCIe connector + ~75W from motherboard ?

Back