Win 7 Desktop appears 2 mins after login

Lol. Roaming profile is created for all users. Please don't delete it. You can free up space in your profile through disk cleanup. Clear the Temp and recycle folders to get back space. Lots of programs put installation archives in temp folder and don't delete them after installation is complete. Don't do anything to the Microsoft folder. You might end up installing windows and all programs completely if you mess there.

QUERRY:

Why is my USER Profile/Login file data so heavy [7.56GB] vs my daughters [just 4.42MB]

See attached screenshots
the following folders have max data
C:\Users\Terence\AppData - 6.75GB >>>> C:\Users\Terence\AppData\Local\Microsoft (5.16 GB)
C:\Users\Terence\Documents - 636 MB

Is this too necessary - C:\Users\Terence\AppData\Roaming - 401 MB - I do not need/use any Roaming profile

AppData folder is important. Don't delete it. It holds various configuration and other data of different software installed on the system. Same goes for the Roaming folder. It's not the same roaming as on your mobile... it's a different kind of Roaming folder, with data of different software. So, as told by @6pack , better to leave them alone.

Administrator accounts and user accounts are different. What software you may use, the other account might not use, and so configuration and personal data of those software might not get stored for that account, and that's why the AppData size for both accounts may differ.

Same goes for My Documents folder... different users will have different My Documents folders, and therefore, different amount of data.

Do not delete any files or folders on your own, without knowing what you are deleting. If you are looking to free up space, best is to just run CCleaner. Also, in CCleaner, it's better to choose the default settings. It's alright to choose all in the Applications tab, but be careful of what you choose in the Windows tab of CCleaner main window.

In CCleaner, even with default settings, under Windows, a few check boxes are checked by default, which shouldn't be checked. So, untick Memory Dumps, Chkdks File Fragments, Windows Log Files checkboxes. These contain files which may be important for diagnostic purposes and therefore shouldn't be deleted.

Anyways, freeing up space won't solve your problem. Uninstalling unnecessary programs might, as explained in my previous post.

Oh, and also, if you haven't run a system scan with your antivirus, please do that. It would be better to run additional scan with MBAM too, besides the Norton AV.

Take it slow and easy, it might take time, but you will find a solution :).

You can see what's slowing down booting through event viewer too.
Event viewer
> Applications & services logs
> Microsoft >windows
> Diagnostics-Performance
> Operational

In CCleaner, even with default settings, under Windows, a few check boxes are checked by default, which shouldn't be checked. So, untick Memory Dumps, Chkdks File Fragments, Windows Log Files checkboxes. These contain files which may be important for diagnostic purposes and therefore shouldn't be deleted.

Anyways, freeing up space won't solve your problem. Uninstalling unnecessary programs might, as explained in my previous post.

Oh, and also, if you haven't run a system scan with your antivirus, please do that. It would be better to run additional scan with MBAM too, besides the Norton AV.

Take it slow and easy, it might take time, but you will find a solution :).

Thanks TO ALL for guiding me thus far.
I am double checking almost all of the instructions you guys are giving me and making the necessary checks/un-installing various apps & utilities too.
CCleaner has now been re-configured.

My Norton360 has been configured to run full-system scans whenever the system is idle.

And @spr - No I have not joined any domain. Further both my id & my daughters id were created when I assembled this system - Sept/Oct 2012. I was away recently for 6 months & during this time (I think the problem started). Since my return I reinstalled Office 2013 with Visio & also Adobe CS6 Master Collection (full pack).

QUERRIES.

DO I NEED TO UPDATE THE FOLLOWING DRIVERS FOR MY MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5H
1] Chipset - Intel Management Engine Interface
- Intel INF installation
2] LAN - Atheros LAN driver
3] VGA - Intel VGA Driver (for Ivy Bridge CPU)
- All the above cases Gigabyte has updated drivers.[DOUBLEPOST=1395462106][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can see what's slowing down booting through event viewer too.
Event viewer
> Applications & services logs
> Microsoft >windows
> Diagnostics-Performance
> Operational

This is very very interesting - but honestly I dunno how to interpret anything - except see that "boot timings are crazy" :eek:
So here are the screenshots

EventViewer_Diag_Performance_001.JPG

EventViewer_Diag_Performance_002a.JPG

EventViewer_Diag_Performance_002b.JPG

Last edited:
Have you tried SFC \scannow

Forgot to mention that the boot times show no degradation. The longer boot times could be due to sheer amount of programs installed too.
Just to be sure run system file checker (sfc) twice and let us know.

Edit: update your video drivers after uninstaling old ones first.

If updating video card driver does not work,
try this prevx fix. It repairs some registry key or something. It may or may not work. Use at own risk. Just backup full registry first.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Black-Screen-Fix.shtml

Last edited:
Have you tried SFC \scannow

Forgot to mention that the boot times show no degradation. The longer boot times could be due to sheer amount of programs installed too.
Just to be sure run system file checker (sfc) twice and let us know.

Edit: update your video drivers after uninstaling old ones first.

If updating video card driver does not work,
try this prevx fix. It repairs some registry key or something. It may or may not work. Use at own risk. Just backup full registry first.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Black-Screen-Fix.shtml

I cannot get access as Administrator to run sfc from command prompt. Although my account is administrator. I have faced this problem all along with certain type of commands (eg: I cannot modidy the "hosts" file).

When I installed Win 7 64-bit prof (not genuine), I did not see any option to install "purely as administrator". I had this issue even at my workplace with Windows 7 licensed !!

Also noticed my windows "Indexing" is not running (I had disabled it a long time ago)

Right click on command prompt and run as administrator. Even normal administrator account is denied access to system files.

Since my return I reinstalled Office 2013 with Visio & also Adobe CS6 Master Collection (full pack).

Take a look at this post earlier in the thread by manoja2k:
http://www.techenclave.com/communit...pears-2-mins-after-login.164133/#post-1934815

Since you too have installed Adobe CS6, did you check if you have subscribed to its cloud feature? Or, look for something related in the settings, which might be causing a delay. Worth checking.

Also, do you really need Adobe CS6?

For MS Office too, I hope you are aware that you can choose whether or not to install any component of office, like Access, Visio. So, if you do not need any components, you can choose not to install them. This saves quite an amount of space. Although this won't help you with the issue you are having. Still, it's helpful to save space. You can configure the components even after installation. Just go to Add/Remove, and then choose MS Office, and then click on Uninstall/Change. Instead of opting for uninstall, go for Change, and then configure the components.

DO I NEED TO UPDATE THE FOLLOWING DRIVERS FOR MY MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5H
1] Chipset - Intel Management Engine Interface
- Intel INF installation
2] LAN - Atheros LAN driver
3] VGA - Intel VGA Driver (for Ivy Bridge CPU)
- All the above cases Gigabyte has updated drivers.

I don't think the issue is related to the drivers. Only the VGA driver might be a remote possibility... you never know. Anyways, if you want, then you can update the drivers. Make sure you download from the Gigabyte site only, because that's the right place to download the drivers from. Here's the link to the driver downloads for your motherboard on Gigabyte:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4139#dl

You can check if the drivers have an update version available by checking the driver version on your system, and comparing it with the version available on the site. Though I am almost certain that drivers is not the issue here. But, you never know.

Right click on command prompt and run as administrator. Even normal administrator account is denied access to system files.

No errors with sfc scan. I ran it multiple times.

APOLOGIES FOR NOT REVERTING AS I was not in town past few days.

I uninstalled 2 of my major programmes - Microsoft Office 2013 pro plus & Adobe Master Collection CS6. The difference in boot time came down by 20 secs only (it is still in the range of 1 min and 45 secs).

So then, until I have time again to sort out this issue, I have decided to put the PC ON ..... then take a walk for 3 mins or so and come back to login .... Viola !! ;)

Meanwhile - I reinstalled both the above packages. Thanks guys for all your help.

Terry

Check event viewer again...look at the application, security and system logs under windows logs.

Forget about the boot times, look for other critical and error events. Limit your search to the time from when you started booting up.

The only way you can fix the issue is if you know whats causing it...so don't get intimidated, take a few minutes and read the logs.

Disable all Startup programs and start your PC(even norton) in msconfig(services too). This way we will know if any start up program is causing it.

Its a common profile issue and your profile slows down as it ages. Just make sure there arent a hell lot of desktop icons. It always delays logging in process. This was an extreme issue with windows xp.

Secondly, this happens usually with administrative right accounts as we install/uninstall etc. all stuff using these accounts.

Create another admin a/c.

Login into that and check/scan thoroughly all your data in "C:\Users\****\AppData"

Delete "Temp" directory in first place.

Then you are on your own way inside... delete cautiously.

Also, in C:\Windows\Prefetch\ delete all stuff inside. Dont worry they get freshly recreated the next time .

Delete all data in "C:\Windows\Temp"

Also delete any minidumps created in "C:\Windows\Minidump"

In event viewer clear all events without saving them...its time consuming but try it.

Check how much is your C: drive is free. Else move your personal data to another drive.

And make sure the Paging file isnt set on C:...if so then set it on another partition.

One really fast way of clearing event viewer is to back it up and then in settings there is option to delete everything. Takes few minutes even if there is 20k + entries in events.

Back